With whinging about playing players out of position...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

With whinging about playing players out of position...

Post by j-mac31 »

I read a lot of posts with people unhappy with players playing in a position that they haven't played in before, are rubbish in or both. A recent example is Dempsey playing in the backline against the Doggies.

My question is though, why do so many people when naming their best 22 name Lloyd at CHF?
  • 1. He isn't too good up the ground, often looks lost and takes to long to move the ball on.
    2. It takes away a very good target up forward. Against Brisbane in rnd 2 this year he pushed up the ground, but Lucas didn't seem to go to the goal square and the team had no one to kick to (I know Johns may help out here)
    3. He has been the best full-forward in the past decade IMO, why move him around. It would be like playing Fletcher in the midfield.
The phrase "robbing Peter to pay Paul" gets thrown around too much on this forum for my liking (ie at all) but Lloyd playing up the ground is robbing Peter to pay no one. He is nowhere near as good up the ground as Brown, Tredrea, Reiwoldt, etc. and not as good as Lucas, so why not stick with what works? Where did he play when the team won 21 in a row and only lost one game for the year?

I don't buy the lcaptaincy crap either. Neitz captains from the goal square and I'm sure if the team and coaching staff weren't happy with him, they would appoint another captain.
The best way for him to lead is by example - kick goals and work hard to get them. Plus guys like Hird, Hille and Lucas can provide leadership up the ground if needed.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Not a bad post j-mac and I agree with most of what you say.

I tend to think you're being a bit harsh in your assessment of Lloyd playing away from the square and cite his overall gam ein round one this year as my proof.

Having said that, I definitely agree that he should play at full forward 99.9% of the time.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Any one can push up to the wings and back flanks and get a few stats. (eg. Dale Thomas late in games)

But Lloyd's up the ground play is not good enough to cover him not being at FF, wheras with someone like Brown is.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I agree with the theory but he showed a lot of leadership and presence (a la brown) in the game I mentioned.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I havent done the numbers I think there would be less than 10% of all contributors here who would place Llloyd at CHF. There would however be plenty who would argue that Sheedy seems to have a habit of playing players out of position. Bradley at CHB for example is an obvious one. Bolton as a KPP, Reynolds at FB, etc etc
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

Fair points and i dont agree with all the knocking of playing players out of position, the kids nead to learn both ends as it helps later down the track.

I to thought Lloyd at CHF was a bad idea but he proved me wrong. Before his hammy went i thought he was doing a bloody good job up the ground and i look forward to see what he can do with a fully stocked forward line. Imagine him and Johns swapping between FF and CHF.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Im one of those who would name Lloyd at CHF with Lucas at CHB.

IMO Rd 1 this year showed what Lloyds capabilities are at the position if he plays there after a full preseason. I think previous attemtps to play Lloyd at CHF have been midseason when he has spent the early season parked at FF and no longer has the endurance to play there.

How people can pigion hole a champion like Lloyd as a one position player has me puzzled. If his preseason training regeme is tailored to suit the position at CHF, meaning a greater emphasis on mobility and stamina than previous years then I firmly believe he can play CHF in the same manner as Brown or Hall.

I also think Johns has shown enough to indicate he can/will be an excellent leading FF. I dont think his hip issues will ever really allow Johns the mobility to play out at CHF, and IMO you cant have a FF playing in the pocket. I think he will be too good to leave out so surely pushing Lloyd up the ground is a very good option.

Of course I would expect both to rotate through FF and CHF with Lucus also occasionally pushing forward when the situation permits.

If Johns does achieve his potential, a spine of Fletcher, Lucus, Lloyd and Johns would be just about the best spine in the league.