This Week's Team

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

This Week's Team

Post by bomberflyer »

Thoughts...don't hear much about the Bombers in Adelaide re injuries etc but thought I'd throw an early team up for your feedback.

M Johnson Fletcher Slattery
McPhee Michael McVeigh
Ryder J Johnson Houli
Hird Lucas Lovett
Davey Lloyd Monfries

Hille Winderlich Stanton

Int: Laycock Peverill Cole Watson

Quite a lengthy injury list by the looks on the essendonfc website...are there any others a part from Heffernan and Camporeale (with Bradley, Bolton and Dyson no-goes for me).

I named Slattery because I hope he is over his injury and the Johns thing is not working for me.

I would like to inject more youth because on paper we look slow (with respect to run off half back) and no speed off the interchange but we look devoid of options.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

dunno if lloyd will be back this week
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Lloyd is a chance to come back. If he does come back I hope he is 100%.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

i think we need to start looking at methods to get the ball trapped in our forward line when the delivery (poor or decent) comes in. that seems to be the way we get killed. easy rebounds. The Brisbane backline has let in a lot of goals in Melbourne this year, but their counter attack has been frighteningly efficient.

i would suggest MJ as a forward pocket for the remainder of the season. Strong hands and body, defensive footy, yet crumbs very well.
Lovett and Davey at hf to flank Lucas. Mcphee and mcveigh on the wings. Gotta get Mcphee out of defence. let him roam and find the ball.

FF we need to exploit the goalsquare while leaving guys like Lucas and Johns available for alternative targets. Im thinking, if lloyd doesnt play, Hird, Bolton, or even Bradley at FF means Matthews and Worsfold in a couple of weeks have an unknown factor to contend with, while worrying about Lucas and Johns floating around the forward line.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

citizenerased wrote:i think we need to start looking at methods to get the ball trapped in our forward line when the delivery (poor or decent) comes in. that seems to be the way we get killed. easy rebounds.
Anyone who gets to a game will see that our guys turn tail and run away from the ball carrier, each time the ball gets turned over. Davey and Lovett are not included as they do put up a good chase. I have been critical of Lloyd and now Johns of being lazy and not providing chase as they watch the player run away from less than 5m away.

The only way I can describe it is that players look worried about their opponents accountability/possession rate and allow the rebounder out of our 50 too easily, looking to keep their place in the side for next week. I have not seen it benefit us in any play this year (other than being run down from behind by Davey or Lovet) and it looks f****** horrible.

Take into account for the side mentioned in the first post and have Gus, Lucas, Pev, Winderlich (enter any other names here) plodding their way out and we leave the forward pressure to too few. I'd love to see McVeigh in the role you describe, but until Houli, Jetta and Hocking can come up we are a bit light on without him down back.

I actually liked the idea that someone posted last week on an idea to beat the flood (props to them). Disregard FF and the pockets - Have Scotty, Paddy or even Johns mark with less pressure on the F50 and have a shot. Yes the accuracy might not be that great but we could have 40 scoring shots a game rather than 25-30 and die by the sword. Thats where the small guys could be of more value in traffic at the fall of the ball. Hird included.

All in all the side posted, looks around the best we can field for this round......discounting having a crack and playing all the kids.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I actually thought our injury list was quite small... according to the list only Jetta, Dempsey, Gumbleton and Neagle are out.

Bradley would have to come back in this week as he has worked hard at Bendigo. Hopefully Lloydy and Slattery are fit while Campo and Natrat might also come under consideration.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:I actually thought our injury list was quite small... according to the list only Jetta, Dempsey, Gumbleton and Neagle are out.

Bradley would have to come back in this week as he has worked hard at Bendigo. Hopefully Lloydy and Slattery are fit while Campo and Natrat might also come under consideration.
If we aren't losing any talls this week, then there is no need to bring Bradley back in. Hopefully he can keep dominating with Bendigo for a few more weeks and really get some confidence before being brought back in.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

swoodley wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:I actually thought our injury list was quite small... according to the list only Jetta, Dempsey, Gumbleton and Neagle are out.

If we aren't losing any talls this week, then there is no need to bring Bradley back in. Hopefully he can keep dominating with Bendigo for a few more weeks and really get some confidence before being brought back in.
Yep i didn't think about that, still Laycock and Johns better play well this week...
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:

No, he needs to find form in a position where there is a vacancy in the senior team before he gets his spot back. Why bring in a tall bloke who kicked 5 in the VFL when Lloyd is likely to return this week? Especially seeing as Sheedy seems keen for the Lloyd/Lucas/Johns line up to work.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.