The Coaching Candidates

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nathanskinner wrote:
P.S The fact people are discussing Sheedys replacement at this stage is a joke.
Well you better get a sense of humour as its likely to be the biggest football story of the year
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nathanskinner wrote:why the hell would we want daniher? A talented list without a win this season. You cant entirely blame injuries, they lost their first couple with an entire team. Also other clubs have done it tough and got a win.
Why the hell did we want Kevin Sheedy in 1981 when we could have got Allan Jeans or John Nicholls (both premiership coaches)? The club punted on an untried Kevin Sheedy and look what he did. Some people's "logic" about certain individuals amazes me.....
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
nathanskinner wrote:
Well you better get a sense of humour as its likely to be the biggest football story of the year
His re-signing? I'm of the opposite thought Windy. I'm confident he'll be around.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

if sheeds has had enough.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/v ... 36208.html

then in no doubt this man should be our next senior coach.
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

tom9779 wrote:if sheeds has had enough.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/v ... 36208.html

then in no doubt this man should be our next senior coach.
Yeah, wouldn't mind taking a punt on Vossy. He's smart, super-competitive, and from the article seems to already have a natural talent for player management. Give him two or three years in the job and he'll be fantastic, with the bonus of being young and fit enough to handle the enormous pressure of that job.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Harvey or GOD. I'd like for one of our own to get the first crack.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Someone who has had no association with Essendon Football Club what so ever in the past.

Think we need a fresh face - Longmire seems perfect.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

I'd be getting someone from outside the club.

So no G'OD, no Harvs. I myself would be going for Bluey McKenna followed by John Longmire.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

BenDoolan wrote:
nathanskinner wrote:why the hell would we want daniher? A talented list without a win this season. You cant entirely blame injuries, they lost their first couple with an entire team. Also other clubs have done it tough and got a win.
Why the hell did we want Kevin Sheedy in 1981 when we could have got Allan Jeans or John Nicholls (both premiership coaches)? The club punted on an untried Kevin Sheedy and look what he did. Some people's "logic" about certain individuals amazes me.....
Daniher is not untried. He coaches the Melbourne Football Club, who have had less wins then us this season with a list of players that are expected to make finals. Why get him?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

nathanskinner wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Daniher is not untried. He coaches the Melbourne Football Club, who have had less wins then us this season with a list of players that are expected to make finals. Why get him?
They have been missing their top 3 or 4 players.

Take Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher out of Essendon and we wouldnt even get within 100 points of any team.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nathanskinner wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
The question I asked is why did the EFC employ Kevin Sheedy ahead of two proven premiership coaches? Using tunnel visioned logic would suggest that Allan Jeans or John Nicholls were better candidates. You seem lost in the fact that Neale Daniher has got the Melbourne Football Club into a Grand Final - only one of two coaches who have done so in 43 years. He must be a dud eh? If it were not for the juggernaut that was the EFC in 2000, Neale Daniher would be a premiership coach.
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

Well said Ben....

If Sheeds leaves...and Neale is available....we'd be crazy not to go for him....a great leader...great relationship builder with players....inspirational.....and has mungrel in him to give the players a spray when they're under-performing....

Something Sheedy hasn't done in years....
The Don
Top Up Player

Post by The Don »

Sheedy will be appointed fo another 1-2 years, however dont be suprised if the Essendon Senior Coaching role changes a little, similar to Wayne Brittain and David Parkin at the Scum a few years ago. The man who will take the chair with Sheeds would have to be Garry O'Donnell. He was on a great wicket whilst in Briz Vegas and was enticed back to Essendon having been as an assistant in three premierships by the board with the vision of him succeeding Sheedy. That is why Harvs went to Freo, he knew the writing was on the wall.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Of all the candidates mentioned the only acceptable one is Sheedy himself.
The one for the future-Voss-but not just yet.
Anyone questioning Sheedy's original appointment must have Spaghetti for brains.
Jeans,Nicholls????Nien,never.
Sheedy has done more for this club than anybody since Reynolds.
He wanted to coach then,had a little experience at Richmond,Essendon wanted him and he wanted them.Ain't it comfy in bed.
Metaphorically he can still rise to the occasion and The Bombers certainly trust he can.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rover 7 wrote:Anyone questioning Sheedy's original appointment must have Spaghetti for brains.
Jeans,Nicholls????Nien,never.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for not understanding. I said, when the EFC had a decision to make back in 1981, they had a choice between proven premiership coaches in Allan Jeans and John Nicholls. Using tunnel vision logic (of some in here), the club should have chosen either of them over Sheeds. This is not my opinion. I used the argument against someone trying to discredit Neale Daniher with this logic...
why the hell would we want daniher? A talented list without a win this season. You cant entirely blame injuries, they lost their first couple with an entire team. Also other clubs have done it tough and got a win.

Were coming off a 15th placed finish last year, matched our wins already at this stage of the year and were complaining, imagine demon supporters. They would have to be very filthy.

Understand?
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

You're not Vintage in disguise are you?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rover 7 wrote:You're not Vintage in disguise are you?
I'll let you know once you tell me who Vintage is.....