Monfries today

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Monfries today

Post by j-mac31 »

I thought Monfires played really well up forward today.

Led well up the ground, took some good marks inside the 50 and kicked a couple of goals.

Great signs that he is starting to find some form. I reckon if he is in good form, it will take pressure off Lloyd and Lucas and he can allow them to stay closer to goal more often when leading up the ground.

Plays above his height and weight.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Agreed. I had him just out of the votes.

He was good against the Roos last week, too. After a quiet start to the season he's building into some nice form.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Is playing more in the middle too, which gets him more into the game.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

The fries can play, and play good.
He's quite welcome to stick around the Essendon Footy Club as far as im concerned. :):)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

bombers_rock wrote:The fries can play, and play good.
He's quite welcome to stick around the Essendon Footy Club as far as im concerned. :):)
Yep i agree, Gus was much better today and was a good target up forward especially when Lloydy went off the ground in the first half. Good to see him and a few of his team mates back in some solid form again.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

One of my highlights of the day was Gus leading out of the square and crashing into the back of a Brisbane player. And shock, horror - one of our players was front and square - so it's good to see us score a crumb goal like that.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

I also thought he had a good game. I thought him going toe to toe with Merrit (at a considerable height and weight disadvantage) after he elbowed Davey was a standout. It says a lot to the other guys - stick up for your team.

BTW - did Merrit get reported? It was intentential and reckless.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

If he didn't get picked up then he'll get done by the Match Review Panel.

Monfries should play up forward permanently. He plays his best footy there. He doesn't rack up possessions like a Stanton or a Peverill or even a McVeigh, but what he does is present, provide a tough match up, kick goals and supports guys like Lloyd and Lucas. He was a target in the square while Lloyd was getting some work done and damn he looks good there. I thought he should have played FF last season (a la Mark Williams of Hawthorn) but didn't really happen.

Monfries has the potential to be a superstar and carve a major reputation with his #6. He just needs to be given the opportunity to play in his best position.

How good was that contest when he charged out of the square, hit the contest hard and while he didn't mark the ball (which would have been a better result from the contest) he knocked it front and centre to Froggy who was waiting to pounce... and pounce he did.

He's a leading, marking forward and should be played as such.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

He was lairising a bit yesterday. Got dragged after he tried to run around the mark in the forward pocket and got caught.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Quality game. Seems to be working harder. Will develop into a very very good footballer.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

One of the elite young players in the competitions I still remember that game against West Coast 2 years ago in the driving rain he was in and under so many packs body on the line was fantastic and we almost that game because of him but he has carried on with that form over the last two years except for a little down patch at the beginning of the year but he is my favourite player at Essendon plus I have him on the back of my jumper. :wink:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm a big fan of Monfries. He never backs down and his hitting some good form. Hopefully it continues.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

An excellent player is Monfries and has been in my Supercoach side from day 1...
A champion in the making...
Keep up the good work :D
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

The thing i like about Monfries is that he's starting to build up some consistency and is becoming another leading type target in our forward line.
Although the experst never seem to find a spot for him in our best players - he's always close but not quite good enough to be in our best 6-7 each week.
I'm looking forward to him playing a blinder which i reckon is just around the corner as he is a potential matchwinner.[/url]
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He's doing nicely this year, without burning the house down. Starting with Freo, he had been targeted a little in a few games, but didn't seem to stop his endeavour.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

His just one of those players that keeps on trying and trying and it will pay off. Monfries will be a superstar!
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama