Kepler in the twos...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Kepler in the twos...

Post by gringo »

Why is Kepler being played as a key position forward in the twos? Even though he appears to be having significant success playing up forward in the twos, he is never going to break into the seniors as a tall forward. We've already got Lucas, Lloyd, Laycock, Johns, Gumbleton etc who are miles out in front of him. I can understand that the twos are their own team and players are played where they will best serve that team, but development wise, what is the point? As I've stated before, we need to chuck him down back and let him learn his trade as a tall defender. It's the only position he appears capable of playing at a senior level, and the only way he is going to break back into the ones.
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: Kepler in the twos...

Post by tom9779 »

gringo wrote:Why is Kepler being played as a key position forward in the twos? Even though he appears to be having significant success playing up forward in the twos, he is never going to break into the seniors as a tall forward. We've already got Lucas, Lloyd, Laycock, Johns, Gumbleton etc who are miles out in front of him. I can understand that the twos are their own team and players are played where they will best serve that team, but development wise, what is the point? As I've stated before, we need to chuck him down back and let him learn his trade as a tall defender. It's the only position he appears capable of playing at a senior level, and the only way he is going to break back into the ones.
I'd be happy if he turned into a leading CHF. who cares if we have Lucas/Lloyd/Johns/Gumby/Laycock as you say......

If you read any of the press on gumby he sounds like he could be an excellent key position backmen.

I'd like to see a 5 man forward line consisting of Lucas, Johns, Lloyd, Bradley and say Davey...no reason why not.

(if they are all in form).

no point in playing kepler in a position he aint suited for...I think sheeds might have said it just aint working down back kep, go back to the twos and learn how to play upfront.

I mean bradley has had plenty of opportunities playing in the backline in the ones.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

Gumbleton and Neagle both out injured
Johns has been in the ones.
But simply Bendigo needed a key forward to kick goals.
Kepler has been able to fill the void, when gubleton and neagle get back, i assume he will fill other roles in the reserves.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

I dont think the club has any say in where their players would play in Bendigo. Back when TD was coaching the Essendon VFL side it would have been different, but not now.

Kepler plays where Bendigo needs him to play. If they need him up forward kicking goals to give them a chance of winning, then they will put him there.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

dom_105 wrote:I dont think the club has any say in where their players would play in Bendigo. Back when TD was coaching the Essendon VFL side it would have been different, but not now.

Kepler plays where Bendigo needs him to play. If they need him up forward kicking goals to give them a chance of winning, then they will put him there.
I think if he is desperatly needed in a positio by bendigo that is where they play him, but I think you will find that sheedy and knights do talk alot about where sheeds would like players to be playing for development reasons.
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

No harm in letting him get his confidence up with a few grabs and goals. needs to learn to back himself, then he could be very valuable.
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

Kepler is being played forward because the club think that's where his permanent position will be, instead of him being used as the patch up player like over the past few years. Allowing him to settle in one position will do the world of good for his confidence, and the results are already showing.

And they certainly do have a say about where Essendon listed players are positioned during the Bendigo games.

As ZRS said, obviously if there is the need for him to play down back every now and then, that's what he'll do, but more often than not he'll start forward.

It's not just about which forward players we have now. Kepler is only 21, Courtney is only 22. In three or four years when we don't have Lloyd or Lucas any more, having the two of these guys, plus Gumby, Neagle, Lee etc, means we'll continue to have a strong forward line - not have to start over again.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The best game Kepler has played was as a forward last year against Brisbane.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote:Why is Kepler being played as a key position forward in the twos? Even though he appears to be having significant success playing up forward in the twos,
No one else needed to respond to that, he answered his own question straight away.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

boncer34 wrote:
gringo wrote:Why is Kepler being played as a key position forward in the twos? Even though he appears to be having significant success playing up forward in the twos,
No one else needed to respond to that, he answered his own question straight away.
Yes, but my point was that even if he does play well as a forward in the twos against stretched defences, he is not going to break into the ones as a tall forward. Anyone who thinks he will is indulging in some medium to heavy fiddling.

In the game against Brisbane that some clown referred to above, Kepler was played as a forward flank and did not have an opponent. His stats flattered him that week and it was def not his best game for the club. His best work was when he played as a defender in his second year. Ha. I love putting "best" and "Kepler" in the same sentence. It makes me giggle.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Well we could leave him down back where his confidence is all but shot to pieces, or we could let him run in the forward line and kick a few goals and build his confidence before switching him down back....... Which one would you prefer Gringo?
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

Would the fact that Johns has been playing at CHB also point to a change for thinking on Keplers position? If Johns can be turned into a key backman, our depth in forwards would then allow a possible avenue for Kepler.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

boncer34 wrote:Well we could leave him down back where his confidence is all but shot to pieces, or we could let him run in the forward line and kick a few goals and build his confidence before switching him down back....... Which one would you prefer Gringo?
I'm all for getting some confidence back into Kepler. I think it's arguably the most important attribute someone can have when they are down on form. My point still remains though that Kepler is never going to make it in the AFL as a key forward. Wayne Carey would have more of a chance being elected to President of the Women's Liberation Movement. If the plan is to get him some confidence back as a forward, and then send him into defence, I'm all for it. If not, we are simply wasting both Kepler's time and the time of EFC.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Where the hell is Andrew Lee at? The bloke has hardly been sighted, appears to have faded into the background and doesn't look like he's anywhere near senior selection. Noticed he was named on the bench for Bendigo, and didn't appear in the best this week. Is he a lost cause?

As for Kep, I don't think it's such a bad thing for him to be running around in different positions. In the long run, it will help his development IMO. As far as I'm concerned, he needs to spend a good chunk of this season at Bendigo to dominate games. Whether that be in defence, up forward, on the wing, in the ruck, I don't care. He just needs to dominate in whatever he does.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329319

BD I am sorry to bring this to your attention. But please read post #7 for the most unintelligent football comment ever made. You were always in my eyes a superstar.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329319

BD I am sorry to bring this to your attention. But please read post #7 for the most unintelligent football comment ever made. You were always in my eyes a superstar.
:) At least I'm still in people's minds....that's the most important thing!

I also remember making several of Biffo's "team of hacks" on the old BT!!
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

BD only just found out that he was playing the wrong sport. Could have been better than bradman.
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

BenDoolan wrote:Where the hell is Andrew Lee at? The bloke has hardly been sighted, appears to have faded into the background and doesn't look like he's anywhere near senior selection. Noticed he was named on the bench for Bendigo, and didn't appear in the best this week. Is he a lost cause?
Andy had stress fractures and missed doing a full pre-season. He was going ok for Bendigo, then two weeks ago got a bad knock to the shoulder which dislocated it. He played last week (probably shouldn't have) and didn't play this weekend just gone. Next week the VFL have a break (it's VFL vs WAFL) so hopefully he'll be right in two weeks to start playing again.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Koala wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Where the hell is Andrew Lee at? The bloke has hardly been sighted, appears to have faded into the background and doesn't look like he's anywhere near senior selection. Noticed he was named on the bench for Bendigo, and didn't appear in the best this week. Is he a lost cause?
Andy had stress fractures and missed doing a full pre-season. He was going ok for Bendigo, then two weeks ago got a bad knock to the shoulder which dislocated it. He played last week (probably shouldn't have) and didn't play this weekend just gone. Next week the VFL have a break (it's VFL vs WAFL) so hopefully he'll be right in two weeks to start playing again.
Thanks Koala. I had no idea, just thought he'd been overlooked and more or less discarded. Gee, he's having a bad run.
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

chickster wrote:Would the fact that Johns has been playing at CHB also point to a change for thinking on Keplers position? If Johns can be turned into a key backman, our depth in forwards would then allow a possible avenue for Kepler.
I recall either reading or hearing from Sheedy that Johns was going to play more backline in the magoos. Johns certainly needs to learn to chase alot more IMO. He has let himself down big time when playing seniors by not chasing hard after the footy has gone from his mitts.
Kepler is probably up forward yes because other players are out but if he shows enough he may stay there more even when the other players come back.
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!