Bendigo Bombers hit target after slow start

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Bendigo Bombers hit target after slow start

Post by Leigh »

BENDIGO overcame a sluggish start yesterday to outclass the Dolphins by 23 points at Frankston Oval. Boosted by some quality talls, including Kepler Bradley, Courtney Johns and Jason Laycock, the Bombers didn't gel as a team until midway through the second quarter.

Goalless and trailing by 23 points at the first break, the inaccurate Bombers allowed the Dolphins to extend the margin to 28 points before finally clicking into gear.

Bendigo suddenly switched from frustrating to fantastic. It kicked seven goals in a row to take the lead, and was good enough to maintain a three-goal buffer for practically the rest of the match. On the other hand, Frankston, which had looked dangerous early, struggled to match the Bombers for height and was let down by some average delivery into its forward 50.

Bendigo captain Simon Rosa did a fantastic job containing Frankston livewire Justin Berry. The Dolphin forward has been in superb touch but struggled to make an impact as Rosa wore him like a glove. Berry finished with three goals, but two of those came in the final quarter when the contest was all but over.

Johns and Bradley rotated between centre half-back and centre half-forward with mixed success.

While both imposed themselves at times with strong marking, they were both prone to skill errors and turnovers. Likewise, teammate Mark Bolton was brilliant in patches but also made mistakes.

Ricky Morris was superb in attack for the Dolphins, kicking three goals, but Frankston simply couldn't put a solid four quarters together.

Further worry for the club was the report of Marcus Marigliani for trying to trip Jason Cloke in the first quarter.

Cloke played another significant role in Bendigo's win, the ex-Magpie clearly relishing the freedom he is allowed on the wing.

Bombers coach Matthew Knights was pleased his team's improvement was finally rewarded with its second win this season.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/b ... 42490.html
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Any ideas on how the 2's went?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

boncer34 wrote:Any ideas on how the 2's went?
they also won:

BENDIGO 4.3 4.7 8.13 11.14 (80)
FRANKSTON 0.3 2.8 4.11 11.11 (77)

Goals: Bendigo: Maddern 2 O'Brien 2 McKinnon 2 Hocking Mathieson Duscher Gladman Coghlan. Frankston: Barnes 3 Clark 2 Stanley George Booth Lloyd Beaton O'Carroll.
Best: Bendigo: Bowe Hocking McKinnon O'Keefe Pike Anderson. Frankston: Kirkwood Bosward Barry O'Carroll Stanley Horaczko.
Reports: T O'Keefe (Bendigo) for striking M Stanley (Frankston).
At Frankston Oval.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

What was the score?
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ramanama wrote:What was the score?
:?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
I think he meant of the senior game.

I notice Hocking's name in the 2's. Surely that isnt Heath Hocking, the guy people have been talking up throughout the sumer?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

BenDoolan wrote:
Im not that thick mate.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I notice Hocking's name in the 2's. Surely that isnt Heath Hocking, the guy people have been talking up throughout the sumer?
twas Heath.

When we play Frankston we are limited to how many Essendon listed players we have, because they aren't aligned to an AFL club. So some players have to play for the seconds.

Usually they put the rookies back before they put the seniors back
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Koala wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

twas Heath.

When we play Frankston we are limited to how many Essendon listed players we have, because they aren't aligned to an AFL club. So some players have to play for the seconds.

Oh thank god. I have been hearing good reports of the kid, and if he was dropped back to the 2's of the VFL, it would have looked quite bad.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Koala wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

twas Heath.

Isn't he also on the way back from injury?
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

ealesy wrote:
Koala wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

twas Heath.

Isn't he also on the way back from injury?
not Hocking, no. He had an ankle injury and some quad tightness in pre-season, but hasn't been injured lately (apart from the broken nose he got on Sunday!!)