AA team

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

AA team

Post by Rossoneri »

B: N Bassett (Ade) D Glass (WC) L Gilbee (WB)
HB: C Bolton (Syd) J Bowden (Rich) A McLeod (Ade)
C: S Goodwin (Ade) S West (WB) A Goodes (Syd)
HF: A Didak (Coll) B Hall (vc) (Syd) R O'Keefe (Syd)
F: B Johnson © (WB) B Fevola (Carl) N Riewoldt (St.K)
R: B Lade (PA) C Judd (WC) B Cousins (WC)
INT: S Burgoyne (PA) D Cox (WC) J McDonald (Melb) M Pavlich (Fre)
Last edited by Rossoneri on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

when was the last time an Essendon player wasn't a part of the AA team?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Pretty fair team.

Kane Cornes?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Bowden in front of Clement and Fletcher?

Thats a ****** joke and why I never followed the Hybrid game or any of the shit they put on display.

The fact that Bowden has been AA more than Fletcher is a blight on teh selection panel and tey should all be taken out teh back and shot.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Is this the 'official' AA team???
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Very good side.

I personally would have put Whitnall in at CHB instead of J Bowden.

Would have also found a spot on the bench for Andrew Raines too, but of course you can't fit 23 into 22 spots.

Sad to see no Bombers in there, but that's an indication of our season and although a couple of players have stood out, on form it would have been harsh to put them in over the team picked.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Yeh i think its the official side Jimmy.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Gossy7 wrote:Yeh i think its the official side Jimmy.
Ta. No real surprises, just a few disappointments (such as not getting any Essendon players there). But as has already been said, that's indicative of the season we had. Only McVeigh or Lucas had any real claims in the first place, but when you look at who's there in their positions you can't really be too critical of the selections.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Interesting that Cox is named on the bench before Lade. I thought he would of been in the starting 18.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Ta. No real surprises, just a few disappointments (such as not getting any Essendon players there). But as has already been said, that's indicative of the season we had. Only McVeigh or Lucas had any real claims in the first place, but when you look at who's there in their positions you can't really be too critical of the selections.
Would like to get a comparison of Glass vs Fletcher vs Bowden
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Would like to get a comparison of Glass vs Fletcher vs Bowden
Bowden at CHB is silly, because we all know he doesn't have the defensive skills expected of a CHB. Putting him at CHB reflects the fact that, with Leppitsch gone and a few others going down hill, there is a paucity of quality CHB's going around at the moment. My suspicion is that Croad would have got the gong had he not been injured for so much of the year.

Glass is a bit of a scragger, but he has been pretty good this season. Put it this way - i think he's more deserving of the FB position than Rutten; i'm glad the selectors didn't go for him, because he gets more of a chop-out than any other full-back in the game. I'd qualify Fletcher's exclusion by saying that if he had played 22 games he would have got a guernsey, but he only played 16 games. Selectors have to reward consistency throughout the entire season.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

lol gossy7 is having troubles with getting in BT but he tells me Alan Didak had a bit to drink before he got annouced in the team and was slurring a bit haha
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

You can't begrudge the forwards that got a spot however Lucas deserved to be slotted in there somehow.
He kicked 67 goals in a team that won only 3 games for the season.

I think Ryan O'Keefe should've got a pat on the back for his efforts this season and given a gold star but also a "maybe next year".
He was pretty good but to me not a real stand out.
However i like the fact that he's not a "name" player and was recognised for his efforts. Lucas though shouldv'e got a spot in the pocket with Reiwoldt on a flank where he leads out to most of the time.

Speaking of "name" players i disagree with McLeod and Cousins inclusions who - the former especially, have been just "good" players in a great side.
Why didn;'t Marty Mattner get in? or Daniel Kerr? Who i consider to be the two players in each side that have been better in those respective positions.

As for CHB - i can't believe Bowden got it.. It totally degrades the definition of the position and what the past great CHB's have done for the game. He was a flanker at best and had a great season accumulating possessions while not worrying what his opponent did the other way.
A joke.
Whitnall deserved it over him, but then again you can't give the wooden spooners two spots in an AA side - especially if they are Carlton!!!!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I think Lucas shoudl have been on the bench. He carried the side and kicked as many goals as Hall. If Fevola can get in, the (Your team couldn't win), isn't a valid reason.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

bueller wrote:Speaking of "name" players i disagree with McLeod and Cousins inclusions who - the former especially, have been just "good" players in a great side.
Why didn;'t Marty Mattner get in? or Daniel Kerr? Who i consider to be the two players in each side that have been better in those respective positions.

As for CHB - i can't believe Bowden got it.. It totally degrades the definition of the position and what the past great CHB's have done for the game. He was a flanker at best and had a great season accumulating possessions while not worrying what his opponent did the other way.
A joke.
Whitnall deserved it over him, but then again you can't give the wooden spooners two spots in an AA side - especially if they are Carlton!!!!
I was thinking the same thing about Daniel Kerr. For a good portion of the year he stood out amongst that stellar midfield as the key. Surprised he didn't get a guernsey.

Joel Bowden.. pfft. That's a disgrace for him to be named CHB. He's not a CHB. He gets cheap possessions off that HB line chip passing and going the 1-2 as he runs past a team mate or kicks backwards.

For mine, the "[Team] didn't win enough games" excuse is pure rubbish. If a player is deserving of a spot then they should get a spot. Fevola in FF I can understand. They guy played out of his skin for most of the year in a crap team that got the spoon. Fevola won the Coleman Medal though. Lucas finished 4th on the goal kicking table in a team that finished 15th... and even managed to spend some time in the backline. Was Lucas ever going to get the gig over Hall? Not a chance in hell. Hall plays for Sydney, the AFLs current "project" team with Premierships being designed for them (much the same way that Brisbane won 3 flags IMO).

If Stanton improves his disposal, and Watson learns how to kick a footy over the off season/pre season... expect to see those 2 names in the middle next year.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Does Hall even play at CHF?
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

robrulz5 wrote:Does Hall even play at CHF?
Between CHF & FF as he put it
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Nothing wrong with Bowden being named. He has had a stellar year. I understand the query on the position but i don't think its too big a deal.

The big ones for me were Ryan O'Keefe (WTF?) and James McDonald (ditto). Oh, and Matthew Pavlich should have been on the ground. To have him on the bench is a disgrace. If anything, he should have been at CHF and Barry Hall / Riewoldt should have been on the bench.

Bueller, i cannot believe you could disagree with Cousins' inclusion. That absoltely staggers me. He's had a fantastic year. Who would you have fill the position of Rover in his place?
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Staggy wrote:The big ones for me were Ryan O'Keefe (WTF?) and James McDonald (ditto).
Those two stood out for me too. Would have thought Clement was an absolute shoo-in too. :?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I may not like him, but I can't understand how Jeff Farmer missed out on a HFF possie. He kicked more goals (over 50) than both Didak (41) & O'Keefe (27) and was a driving force in the dockers improvement.

He tackled hard and helped keep the ball inside freo's forward 50.

Way better that the other two!
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012