Essendon Vs Richmond Game Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Megan wrote:BR I agree about Scotty, felt he wasn't putting in much of an effort a lot of the time. Wouldn't go the second efforts, didn't play much of a team game - in saying that when you kick as accurately as he does you can afford to be selfish.

Just didn't feel like his heart was really in it.
That's pretty much it. He missed 2 easy, easy shots at goal and while he may have marked the ball 16 times (and yes he got some shocking kicks in his direction too) I just felt he was down on his usual game.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I am in a ball of sweat btw can not believe we took that long to win the game!!!!

Richo was a f***** free kick get over it we got screwed of 2 goals with the same rule ffs Wallsy you are a f***** WANKER!!!
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

bomberdonnie wrote:I am in a ball of sweat btw can not believe we took that long to win the game!!!!

Richo was a f***** free kick get over it we got screwed of 2 goals with the same rule ffs Wallsy you are a f***** WANKER!!!
I was ready to come on here and have a bitch and moan session about how crap we are five minutes before the game was over. I didn't think we had a snowball's chance in hell of winning this game with five minutes to go. The game just seemed to be so incredibly slow and atmosphere just so subdued. But glad I watched the last 5 minutes now! :twisted:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

If we can somehow start turning that last 5 minutes into 4 quarter performances we will be playing finals football this year and giving it a damn good shake!!!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I'm hard on Peverill alot of the time, but he stepped it up a notch in the last 5 minutes on a few occasions.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

The Essendon of last year would've lost tonight but we've been through the hard losses last year and we have learnt from it which I think Richmond will too so all the Tigers fans quit f**ken whingeing. Interesting to see how Sydney go tomorrow lets hope hall gets suspended or something. Well fought win tonight neither though we should've lost.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

JumboPaddy wrote:The Essendon of last year would've lost tonight but we've been through the hard losses last year and we have learnt from it which I think Richmond will too so all the Tigers fans quit f**ken whingeing. Interesting to see how Sydney go tomorrow lets hope hall gets suspended or something. Well fought win tonight neither though we should've lost.
and I am hoping (ever the optimist) that this proves to be the turning point for us. Winning a tight game, coming from behind in the dying minutes after being the better team for majority of the night (barring when Deledio and Polak were carving us up). About time we snatched a tight win.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:
JumboPaddy wrote:The Essendon of last year would've lost tonight but we've been through the hard losses last year and we have learnt from it which I think Richmond will too so all the Tigers fans quit f**ken whingeing. Interesting to see how Sydney go tomorrow lets hope hall gets suspended or something. Well fought win tonight neither though we should've lost.
and I am hoping (ever the optimist) that this proves to be the turning point for us. Winning a tight game, coming from behind in the dying minutes after being the better team for majority of the night (barring when Deledio and Polak were carving us up). About time we snatched a tight win.
Turning point? We played shit tonight, nothing to be proud of. A team that has travelled to Adelaide in the last two weeks against hard nut opponents, who haven't scored a win this season from 8 attempts, nearly knocked us off. We have a lot of hard work to do (kicking at f****** goal would be a good start).
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Do we even have a goal kicking coach??
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Field kicking was poor a lot tonight also.

Stanton's disposal in the first half was terrible. I know that he has been the subject of a lot of talk in the last few weeks and various views have been put forward, but tonight he was very poor in the first half. I would be interested in seeing his clanger count.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:Field kicking was poor a lot tonight also.

Stanton's disposal in the first half was terrible. I know that he has been the subject of a lot of talk in the last few weeks and various views have been put forward, but tonight he was very poor in the first half. I would be interested in seeing his clanger count.
He had a few bad disposals by foot...but he had a lot of good one's as well. Jobe was excellent again tonight. Hopefully he has shaken the yips and is starting to believe in his kicking. The most disappointing thing from tonight was the piss weak shots at goal (far more costly than the field kicks I thought). Lloyd, Lucas, Monfries, Houli, J. Johnson missed absolute sitters.

Mark McVeigh is our best field kick in the side by a country mile.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Jobe has not turned the ball over by foot one in the last three weeks, I reckon. Has improved his field kicking by an abslute mile, and a credit to him and his mental capacity. He copped it in the media and by most of us for his kicking (me included) but he worked and worked on it and now look at it.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:
Turning point? We played shit tonight, nothing to be proud of. A team that has travelled to Adelaide in the last two weeks against hard nut opponents, who haven't scored a win this season from 8 attempts, nearly knocked us off. We have a lot of hard work to do (kicking at f****** goal would be a good start).
I agree we didn't play well at all and we didnt deserve the win but credit to the players for not giving up
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:
Look at it from the other end BD, which I think is what Boyler was eluding to. This is the same team that went to Adelaide for a second week in a row and just lost to a top 4 team of the past 3 years, on their own turf. They were level 15 minutes into the last quarter.

Also, good teams win matches. Great teams win matches they, by all rights, shouldnt have. While im not saying that we are a great team, this is a match we would have lost the last 3 years. I can now confidently say that we have improved on last year. Despite us having won 2 more games than last year already, we have finally snatched a win from the jaws of defeat
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:
Look at it from the other end BD, which I think is what Boyler was eluding to. This is the same team that went to Adelaide for a second week in a row and just lost to a top 4 team of the past 3 years, on their own turf. They were level 15 minutes into the last quarter.

Also, good teams win matches. Great teams win matches they, by all rights, shouldnt have. While im not saying that we are a great team, this is a match we would have lost the last 3 years. I can now confidently say that we have improved on last year. Despite us having won 2 more games than last year already, we have finally snatched a win from the jaws of defeat
Precisely my point. We played really badly last night, so don't think I'm praising our efforts for a minute. I refer to a "turning point" in the fact that in recent times we would have lost that game, in fact we would have probably been in Richmond's shoes (in front with a few minutes to go and lose).

We needed to win a close one (although it should never have been "close"). Hopefully it'll give the boys some heart, a bit of spirit and belief in themselves that they are good enough to match it with the better teams.

This week? Goal kicking is on the agenda.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

JumboPaddy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:
I agree we didn't play well at all and we didnt deserve the win but credit to the players for not giving up
We didn't play all that well, but to say that we didn't deserve to win is a bit silly. We were better than them in everything except for putting the score on the board. Most of our shots were no tough either, 30-40m out on fairly lean angles.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Bloody sensational game. I am glad I decided to go. I am VERY proud that the boys didn't just give up, as they have in the past, and took the game up to Richmond when it mattered. The last 5 minutes were awesome. The adrenalin was pumping for the last 2 minutes or so (talk about a nailbiter) and my legs were shaking as I belted out our song 3 times. I'm certainly glad the game ended with a contest. :D

Definitely agree that Lucas (whats up with him lately??), Lloyd, Houli (and probably others) missed shots they should have nailed and the margin should have been greater.

Overall, I think we controlled the game, it was just our inaccuracy and Richmond's accuracy, that kept them in the game. I don't think the Richo decision (be it right or wrong) affected the outcome of the game. Sure, the momentum would have swung a little back towards Richmond, but I think the momentum was on our side more and we just wanted it more. We had 2 more scoring shots after that, so, I think we deserved to win.

At 3-quarter time I thought the game was done, I was preparing for yet another defeat to a team we should beat. However, I said to my gf a couple of times, "I think it's going to come down to whether or not Richmond know how to win." and I think that may have been partly the difference in the end, maybe they don't know how to win, and the final result reflected the game as a whole. Very even and could have gone either way, but we just wanted it more and stood up when it mattered. Call me biased, but I think the better team won on the night.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Rossoneri wrote:Jobe has not turned the ball over by foot one in the last three weeks, I reckon. Has improved his field kicking by an abslute mile, and a credit to him and his mental capacity. He copped it in the media and by most of us for his kicking (me included) but he worked and worked on it and now look at it.
Indeed.

What I loved most was how he stepped up at the end of the game. He set up the forward plays on at least 2 of those final 3 goals. And talk about a cool head - he almost f***** up both of them. First one he bounced it and it almost went over his shoulder but he kept it and went forward. The other one he stepped around a player holding the ball in one hand and almost lost control but again kept possession to move forward.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.