Flooding

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nomolos
Club Captain

Flooding

Post by nomolos »

Get this shit out of the game now.

I was about to put my fist through the seat in front of me.

Hope Richmond dont win a f****** game for as long as your still there Terry Wallace you complete knob.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Flooding

Post by bomberdonnie »

nomolos wrote:Get this shit out of the game now.

I was about to put my fist through the seat in front of me.

Hope Richmond dont win a f****** game for as long as your still there Terry Wallace you complete knob.
Wallace is a joke!!!

I actually thought we were flooding until I noticed that we were playing a 6 v 3 backline setup cos the other 3 tigers were obviously at the other end.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Zip and nine Richmond.

Wallace is the only bloke who has ben frightened by Essendon in the past 2 years.

Zip and nine Richmond.

We go a 'Get out of Jail - Free' card tonight.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

That very same comment was mentioned in the TV commentary. "Looks like Essendon is flooding, but it's just because they're playing a full 6 backmen to Richmond's 3 forwards."

The open forward line nearly won it for them in the end. We just managed to get our game on in the last 2 minutes and snap ourselves out of the psychosis we'd somehow lapsed into.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Find ways around it. If they have 3 loose men in defence, then we must have 3 loose men somewhere. Its about a quick switch of play and running towards the 50, its the best way to beat it. If you get 3-4 goals up, then the other team has no point of flooding.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Even with our spare men in defence, Richmond managed to run the ball down from the back flank and hit a bloke with a fractured eye socket, broken nose and 13 stitches, on the chest.

How we were in a position to lose a game to a club who has travelled interstate in the last two weeks and have lost all their 8 games, I'll never know.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Should have buried them. Crap kicking at goal by blokes who get paid enough to get it right, Lloyd, Lucas ... and by those small forwards who only get a few chances a game and can't afford to get it wrong, Angus, Houli..
Bleeding for the red and black
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Ummmmm.....didn't we play pretty much a full press flood against Brisbane last week, especially in the first half?

Richmond are a pack of stinkers for using it on a continuous basis, but let's not pretend that we don't use it as well. Although, credit to Sheedy, we do adopt it less than plenty of other teams.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Yep, flooding absolutely shits me. Maybe because the opposition gets the ball out of it easily and can score easily, but more so that it just doesn't look good. With that many players it's tackle after tackle and scrap after scrap.

And the stupid umpires don't blow the whistle soon enough. Blow ya bloody whistle, disperse the players away and get some good footy happening.

I've taken interest during the past few matches I've attended and it astounds me how often the opposition's forward line is empty. I'm not sure when it was, but I noted in 1 game that there was not 1 player in our opposition's forward half. Not 1!! Come on, that's just stupid.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Ummmmm.....didn't we play pretty much a full press flood against Brisbane last week, especially in the first half?

Richmond are a pack of stinkers for using it on a continuous basis, but let's not pretend that we don't use it as well. Although, credit to Sheedy, we do adopt it less than plenty of other teams.
No.

Now i didnt see last weeks game but what ive heard and ascertained is that our defenders zoned off to smash Brown. Ryder, mcphee, Micheal, and Fletcher.

If Brisbane wanted to keep kicking it to Brown then thats there own problem, we have had this problem ourselves with Lloyd.

Richmond employ a full flood, this means all Midfielders and HF's sit inside the oppositions forward half. Its not good football.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

nomolos wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:Ummmmm.....didn't we play pretty much a full press flood against Brisbane last week, especially in the first half?

No.

Now i didnt see last weeks game but what ive heard and ascertained is that our defenders zoned off to smash Brown. Ryder, mcphee, Micheal, and Fletcher.

If Brisbane wanted to keep kicking it to Brown then thats there own problem, we have had this problem ourselves with Lloyd.

Richmond employ a full flood, this means all Midfielders and HF's sit inside the oppositions forward half. Its not good football.
Yes.

I was at the game and i can tell you that on numerous occasions in the first half, when Brisbane had the ball in their attacking half, we had no one forward of centre apart from Lloyd. Happened on at least 3 or 4 occasions. We didn't bother with the tactic in the second half, though.

If that's not a full press flood then i don't know what is.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I think the difference is we used it as a tactic for part of a match, whereas Wallace seems to use it as his only tactic every match

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Boyler_Room wrote:I think the difference is we used it as a tactic for part of a match, whereas Wallace seems to use it as his only tactic every match
There it is....

Jimmy you just said it then too. We did it 3-4 times and not in the 2nd half.

Thats not flooding, that would just be classed as dropping back. I see that sort of shit done at local senior level.

Richmond did it everytime we went forward, for the FULL 4 QUARTERS.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

It makes me want to vomit. Completely destroys the joy of watching the game, especially on TV I think - because you dont have a wide enough view of the field to be able to work out why the f*** everyone is going sideways, backwards and just standing there with the ball.

I dont care whether it is actual flooding, forwards playing down the ground or whatever...it`s making the game suck.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i think thats why sheeds often instructs our team to play on at all costs...this destroys flooding as its too difficult for a team to get back.

IMO the best way to combat flooding via the introduction of a rule, is to set up 3 zones on the ground and limit the players who can move into certain zones.
(basically like what netball does, or what we already do at centre square bounces).

This would create more space and allow for more free flowing footy at both ends of the ground.

Wouldn't be too hard, except we would need to identify the players who are restricted to certain zones with some sort of marking on the jumper.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Then the game would become netball... it's already too close for my liking.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

i liked our flood breaker. Lucas marks on 50, switches play to fletcher, long shot on goal from outside 50.

I dont know how you stop flooding without implementing zoning, which i think will kill the game. the importance is to win, whether it be ugly or not, winning is all the coaches care about.

We need a gameplan to counter it because it seems the note being passed around class is that Essendon cant counter a flood. and its not half wrong.
Lloyd was triple teamed for most the game against the tigers, and on the odd occasion he was one out, he beat his man. He is the best one on one forward in the game. not overly pacey or agile, but has a very strong body and sharp eye. So we need to get him freed up.

Im no coach, but if teams are going to flood against us, it seems that what we need to do is have a tall forward lineup, quick crumbers and some big kickers outside 50

Gumbi, Johns, Bradley, Lloyd with Davey, MJ, Monfries at the fall of the ball.
McPhee, Lucas and Fletcher pressing up to the centre/CHF position for long shots.
Drop the faster defensive players to pick up the counter attack. Pev, Winderlich, Watson (how good were his spoils sat night), stants, mcveigh etc.

2-3 goals from that should discourage an opposition coach from continuing a flood.
In the end, their main objective is to nullify our primary forwards in Lucas and Lloyd.

the gameplan needs to focus on providing additional threats. even if we end up kicking 20 behinds with that plan, its 20 scoring shots that they wont be getting because their entire lineup are in our half.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Boyler_Room wrote:Then the game would become netball... it's already too close for my liking.

Not really, it could just be about accepting or contesting a possession....

eg a backman can only move up to the attacking 50 metre line, can enter the 50, but not receive or contest a ball....ie so can carry it and goal/pass.

And similarly forwards can only contest/take possession, maybe to the centre of the park.

Dunno I think worth experimenting with in scratch matches...