Kicking for goal and picking the right team.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Out: Cole, Campo
In: Welsh, Hislop

Hislop - why not give him a game? We are re-building.

Welsh - If fit, needs to play. Plays on the opposition HB flanker and while negating his run, provides us with a couple of goals. If he doesnt come up, then Cole gets a repreive.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Some of the kicking last nights leads me to believe that there is something different about the night ball.

When you see guys like Hird, Michael and Stanton kicking helicopters and shanks, it begs the question is the night ball different in its makeup.

Does, for instance, the difference in colour mean that there is a different texture to the surface resulting in ddiferent purchase on the ball when kicking. It did not appear to be any dew on the ground to have an effect and yet last week our field kicking was the best for 2 years. Last night, I have never seen so many ugly looking kicks and I am not talking about our woeful kicking for goal.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Accuracy is a MAJOR problem. Almost blew that game with horrible kicking for goal.

Monfries missing 2 sitters.
Houli missing 2 easy shots.
JJ missing directly in front
Lucas shanking one

Those are just the ones I can remember that should NEVER be missed.

Thankfully Richmond stink.

What is up with this dreadful kicking for goal anyway? First 2 rounds we were deadly in front of the big sticks. Now its the opposite. Who is the coach for this stuff anyway? It cost us against Carlton and Norf for sure.

As for speed, yes we need more. But most of our regular fastest players are out injured - Lovett, NLM, Jetta, Dempsey(maybe he is playing today?)

Campo, JJ, Watson, Pev etc all on the one team is pretty slow, considering they are all primarily midfielders. One has to make way for someone with some speed...Campo is the odd one out. watson has been great the last 2 games, he rarely turns it over lately either.

Its also good to see Watson getting a start ahead of JJ these days too, about time.

PS. I agree about Lloydy too, he needs to alter his routine because he isnt as accurate anymore due to this 30 sec crap. I often see him getting the hurry up from the umps, which causes him to rush.

Bring in Dempsey or Hislop next week.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:Some of the kicking last nights leads me to believe that there is something different about the night ball.

When you see guys like Hird, Michael and Stanton kicking helicopters and shanks, it begs the question is the night ball different in its makeup.

Does, for instance, the difference in colour mean that there is a different texture to the surface resulting in ddiferent purchase on the ball when kicking. It did not appear to be any dew on the ground to have an effect and yet last week our field kicking was the best for 2 years. Last night, I have never seen so many ugly looking kicks and I am not talking about our woeful kicking for goal.
Not sure. If you look at the way Richmond brought the ball into their F50, it was brilliant, particularly from Deledio. They seemed to hit targets with pin point accuracy more often than not. I don't think our field kicking was all that bad either. Someone like Watson (who we all know has struggled in the past), managed to kick the ball very well last night.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Get plugger in as a kicking coach!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

DC wrote: Lucas shanking one
One? Try 4.
DC wrote: As for speed, yes we need more. But most of our regular fastest players are out injured - Lovett, NLM, Jetta, Dempsey(maybe he is playing today?)

Campo, JJ, Watson, Pev etc all on the one team is pretty slow, considering they are all primarily midfielders. One has to make way for someone with some speed...Campo is the odd one out. watson has been great the last 2 games, he rarely turns it over lately either.
Its the bye this week in the VFL, so demspsey wont be playing.
Campo is gone and JJ is really really struggling at the moment. Pev isnt slow, and while Watson is slow, the amount of EFFECTIVE touches he gets more than makes up for it.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we struggle at the G, interstate and every other open air stadium because the Dome has made us SOFT!!

We have a team full of players that don't know how to handle the slightest of adverse conditions. We struggle to adapt when there is the slightest bit of dew, a slightly slippy ball, a touch of wind or rain.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Kicking for goal and picking the right team.

Post by robbie67 »

Filthy wrote:KICKING FOR GOAL:

Matty still bends over pulls up socks already up, adjusts his shorts, scratchs his balls, throws grass in the air and then realises he has just wasted 25secs of his 30 and then rushes his shots hence his accuracy is not as good as it once was.
Cant agree with you on that one Filth. He knows he has less time now, and rushes back from the mark to start his pre-shot routine. Kicking for goal is just like putting at golf or tenpin bowling. It's all about pre-shot routine, and visualisation techniques. It's a repetitve behaviour process. The techinique of the kicks becomes secondary to doing the same thing all the time. Just have a look at Jim Furyk. Has to have the worst swing in the history of golf. Still a major winner and regular top ten player because he does the "same thing every time".
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

I don't believe Lloyd is kicking the ball as well as pre-injury. His kicks have lost penetration & accuracy. Even that last goal he got after the siren was a heilcopter floater - not the straight-as-an-arrow 55m drop punts we are used to. He doesn't seem to be able to hit that sweet spot on the ball anymore. History shows that he is a 4 out of 5 goal kicker - this year it's more like 50/50.

Is it possible that he will never kick the ball as well as he did (or as far), in which case goals from 40m+ will be a bit tricky for him.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

CameronClayton wrote:I don't believe Lloyd is kicking the ball as well as pre-injury. His kicks have lost penetration & accuracy. Even that last goal he got after the siren was a heilcopter floater - not the straight-as-an-arrow 55m drop punts we are used to. He doesn't seem to be able to hit that sweet spot on the ball anymore. History shows that he is a 4 out of 5 goal kicker - this year it's more like 50/50.

Is it possible that he will never kick the ball as well as he did (or as far), in which case goals from 40m+ will be a bit tricky for him.
I'm wondering if an element of it is psychological since the hamstring injury. He's favouring it a little? Or doesn't have the confidence to give it the roost he used to?

Watson has been outstanding by hand and foot. his kicking has been fantastic the last few weeks, especially last night. I'm very impressed with the improvement.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

rockhole wrote:Some of the kicking last nights leads me to believe that there is something different about the night ball.

I was thinking the same think but assumed that the ball that they were using in the first quarter was a dodgy sherrin?

There were some strange looking kicks in the match
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

CameronClayton wrote:I don't believe Lloyd is kicking the ball as well as pre-injury. His kicks have lost penetration & accuracy. Even that last goal he got after the siren was a heilcopter floater - not the straight-as-an-arrow 55m drop punts we are used to. He doesn't seem to be able to hit that sweet spot on the ball anymore. History shows that he is a 4 out of 5 goal kicker - this year it's more like 50/50.

Agree

Might be an idea for him to start out of the goal square rather than from 35 metres out as was the case last night?
Bleeding for the red and black
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

pear wrote:
Might be an idea for him to start out of the goal square rather than from 35 metres out as was the case last night?
The GS is where he should ALWAYS start. Makes no sense to have him anywhere closer to the 50 to start a lead. Especially if he's struggling with his kicking (which he appears to be).

As I said earlier, he either needs to a) not be on the park if he's not fit or b) stay closer to home so he doesn't get out of his now restricted (even if only temporarily) range.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

BenDoolan wrote:

Not sure. If you look at the way Richmond brought the ball into their F50, it was brilliant, particularly from Deledio. They seemed to hit targets with pin point accuracy more often than not. I don't think our field kicking was all that bad either. Someone like Watson (who we all know has struggled in the past), managed to kick the ball very well last night.
IMO watsons kicking has been fantastic the last couple of weeks. really seems to have improved and backing himself more!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

On Lloyd - he kicks with a bent knee which is not what the experts suggest. In fact I have heard that the experts (not sure in what exactly) think that kicking with your knee bent is very bad and doesn;t allow for the most accurate, penetrating kciks. Or something like that. Maybe we are just seeing Lloyd's luck with his poor kicking style run out.
Rossoneri wrote:Out: Cole, Campo
In: Welsh, Hislop

Hislop - why not give him a game? We are re-building.
Funny, I could have sworn a couple fo weeks ago that you said Houli should NOT play and now you want to give a player his first game against a team that has played in the last two grand finals!? WHERE'S THE CONSITENCY!!!
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.