Ricky Dyson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Ricky Dyson

Post by Gyoza »

I may be stating the absolutely bleeding obvious here (and I should be allowed to after 7 beers!) but...

I really hope he can stay in the team over the next few weeks and step up. He has truly been out of his depth the last few weeks...but the Dyson I remember from a year or two ago was showing heaps of potential with silky finishing and decent pace. Come on Ricky...fire up and show us you can do it.

Not expressing an opinion one way or the other as to whether he will...I just really hope the guy succeeds.
Tambu
Top Up Player

Post by Tambu »

We all hope he succeeds. The boy has a load of talent.
He was very quiet against the Tigers but what impressed me was when he received the ball on the run in the forward line and was able to split the middle under pressure to put us within 2 goals, right after Richo had kicked one and looked like the Tigers would run away with it.

I think we just have to persist with him like we did with Winderlich. Needs time to find that consistency.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

My theory is that he gets himself into the right position to receive the ball often enough, but somehow doesn't end up with it. Either:

a) He's not demanding it from teammates as he should; or
b) Teammates aren't giving it to him as much as they should; they're basically ignoring him.

I know, for example, option (b) applies to Keps because the players have no confidence in him whatsoever (stuffed if i know why :roll:) - he can scream for the ball all day and even if he's in position A1, the players won't give it to him unless he's the option of absolute last resort. I'm not sure why Dyson just doesn't end up with the ball as often as he should.

But he's running out of chances. Others are knocking and he's done nothing to solidify his spot in the team this season. Hopefully he can take a leaf from Winderlich's book and put it all together before it's too late.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It would be good if he could show his full potential. It would be great to have Dyson and Winderlich both on a wing.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Unfortunately Dyson is not a footballer. He's going nowhere other than the football wilderness. He's had plenty of chances to prove himself. Unfortunately, he's rubbish. The sooner EFC acknowledges this, the sooner we can get rid of him and start playing an untried kid. He'd never make the 22 of a premiership winning team.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

My only criticism of Dyson is that he is a tad soft. Not soft in the sense where he is scared to put his body on the line, but soft in the sense that he hasn't got much oomph in his tackling. His tackles are extremely weak as piss and easily broken. He needs to work on this area as he has the pace to chase, but we get no value from it. And he needs to do it because he aint getting much of the ball himself.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

gringo a bit harsh, plenty of players worse than Dyson have played in a premiership.

but for a guy who has been in the AFL system as long as Ricky, he really has to show something...this year, except for a few brief occaisons, IMO he has disappointed.

we have hungry youngsters after his spot, and they will need to be rewarded sooner or later.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I thought Dyson was excellent in the limited game time he had against Brisbane. He was pretty quiet last week with just the 6 touches, but they were quality.

Considering the number of (easy) misses we'd had all night, for him to have mega pressure on and snap a goal in the dying minutes of the game to give us a sniff... I thought that was worthy of note.

Dyson has 2 things go against him. Lack of time on the field and not receiving the ball (even when he's in good position).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

His spot is on the line this week & i won't be surprised if he's dropped. As an outside receiver, he will find it very hard to get a kick this week against the Swannies, as they will close up the game in the tight confines of the SCG.

I don't think he will make it actually, as outside receivers need to find the ball more often than he does. I agree with BD about his non-existent tackling - he should have spent more time in the gym over summer
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

robrulz5 wrote:It would be good if he could show his full potential. It would be great to have Dyson and Winderlich both on a wing.
ditto.. he is next winder, just taking a while to get there.. he will arrive
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

I agree with dyson#2 on this one, at one stage everyone was writting off winder and then all of a sudden bang he exploded into the player he is now. Dyson is another one of these players, over the next year or two I think you'll find he'll become a very handy goal kicking midfielder for us.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I also agree with #2. He has the potential and remember last year when he got it together? All he needs is some more game time.

Was so impressed that despite not being on for too long this week he bagged a really important goal on the run when others had missed far easier shots.
tom9779 wrote:but for a guy who has been in the AFL system as long as Ricky, he really has to show something...this year, except for a few brief occaisons, IMO he has disappointed.
And maybe Sheedy will agree. Which proves that he is a f****** hypocrite becasue Bolton and Reynolds have/had many more years to prove that they are nothing.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Gatsid wrote:I agree with dyson#2 on this one, at one stage everyone was writting off winder and then all of a sudden bang he exploded into the player he is now. Dyson is another one of these players, over the next year or two I think you'll find he'll become a very handy goal kicking midfielder for us.
The player he is now????? He's had about four good games in his career! He' come along on leaps and bounds this year but expressions like "exploded into the player he is now" are rubbish. If Winda has a decent season, I'd be happy to say he's arrived. At the moment, he isn't even a bump on the established players list.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

gringo wrote:
Gatsid wrote:I agree with dyson#2 on this one, at one stage everyone was writting off winder and then all of a sudden bang he exploded into the player he is now. Dyson is another one of these players, over the next year or two I think you'll find he'll become a very handy goal kicking midfielder for us.
The player he is now????? He's had about four good games in his career! He' come along on leaps and bounds this year but expressions like "exploded into the player he is now" are rubbish. If Winda has a decent season, I'd be happy to say he's arrived. At the moment, he isn't even a bump on the established players list.
Winderlich was playing great footy until he broke his leg last season, he's come back and picked up from where he left off, he's been great for our midfield this season and i have no doubt in my mind that he will continue to be one of the more consistant players on the team for the rest of the season. According to you gringo no one on our list deserves any credit.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

gringo wrote:Unfortunately Dyson is not a footballer. He's going nowhere other than the football wilderness. He's had plenty of chances to prove himself. Unfortunately, he's rubbish. The sooner EFC acknowledges this, the sooner we can get rid of him and start playing an untried kid. He'd never make the 22 of a premiership winning team.
Unfortunately gringo is not a poster. He's going nowhere other than the forum wilderness. He's had plenty of chances to prove himself. Unfortunately, he's rubbish. The sooner Bombertalk acknowledges this, the sooner we can get rid of him and start reading an untried poster. He'd never make the 22 of a premiership winning teams forum.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

bomberdonnie wrote:
gringo wrote:Unfortunately Dyson is not a footballer. He's going nowhere other than the football wilderness. He's had plenty of chances to prove himself. Unfortunately, he's rubbish. The sooner EFC acknowledges this, the sooner we can get rid of him and start playing an untried kid. He'd never make the 22 of a premiership winning team.
Unfortunately gringo is not a poster. He's going nowhere other than the forum wilderness. He's had plenty of chances to prove himself. Unfortunately, he's rubbish. The sooner Bombertalk acknowledges this, the sooner we can get rid of him and start reading an untried poster. He'd never make the 22 of a premiership winning teams forum.

Nice job!!

However you are wrong. The problem with this forum is that most of the armchair experts here remind me of Paula Abdul. Everything Essendon is like the bleeding Teddy Bears Picnic - all sweet and cuddly. What we need is a few more Simon Cowells

Gringo is absolutely right - Winderlich has hardly exploded into the player that he is now. Its more a case of thank God he's getting more than 6 possessions a game. No doubt he will continue to improve but lets just drop the hyperbole.

As for Dyson, 4 years in the system and barely a 20 possession game during that time. He has talent - big deal. Every kid that gets drafted has talent!!! Its more than talent that will get you through in this game and Dyson has to start working out what that means
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Windy_Hill wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:

Nice job!!

However you are wrong. The problem with this forum is that most of the armchair experts here remind me of Paula Abdul. Everything Essendon is like the bleeding Teddy Bears Picnic - all sweet and cuddly. What we need is a few more Simon Cowells

Gringo is absolutely right - Winderlich has hardly exploded into the player that he is now. Its more a case of thank God he's getting more than 6 possessions a game. No doubt he will continue to improve but lets just drop the hyperbole.

As for Dyson, 4 years in the system and barely a 20 possession game during that time. He has talent - big deal. Every kid that gets drafted has talent!!! Its more than talent that will get you through in this game and Dyson has to start working out what that means
Yeah I see your point Windy there is definitely too many rose coloured glasses here at times but at the other end of the spectrum is Gringo. If you want to be negative about a player then fine but at least be constructive. Saying that Dyson is not a footballer is ridiculous and as you say every draftee has talent and can play footy.

IMO Dyson has been given a rough ride by Sheedy as in how he has been played with game time and position. I would like to see him running off the back flank getting rebound possessions and running past players for handball recieves. But again in saying that he really is yet to make the most of the limited chances he has had but hopefully will come good cos I would hate to see him traded elsewhere and make something of himself with another team.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

Took Mark McVeigh 100+ games to become the player he is today. Wouldnt count Dyson out just yet.

On a positive note... think of how good Stanton, Monfries, Ryder... etc will be when they hit that milestone and beyond.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

would be good if he wasnt used as a bench player. spends most of the game picking splinters from his ass. coaching staff need to show some faith and leave him out there, inturn his confidence will grow and adapt. He would take massive confidence out of that goal he kicked v tigers so hopefully he is in the team this weekend
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

A rare occasion that I actually agree with Gringo's typically negative point of view.

I have been saying since early last season that Dyson is the most overrated player on our list. Posters here consistantly including him in their best 22 predictions and comparing him to Mercs of all people. You have got to be kidding!!

The kid has had 4 years in the system and shown nothing to suggest he will consistently perform at AFL standard. At best he may become an ok support cast player with more experience in the long run.

Face it, we will lose another 4-5 at the end of the season to allow us to continue our developement of an up and coming side and four of those those will most likley be Hird, Campo, Bolton and Heff with one more in the gun. atm surely Dyson is in the cross hairs.