The Team - Round 10 vs Sydney

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Rossoneri wrote:His inclusion was enough.

I dont have anything against Bolts himself, I think he is an ok player. However, if we are re-building, why not give the job of playing on goodes to a younger player?

If Bolts was playing most matches (and deserving it at the time), the I wouldnt have a problem with it. But to play him simply to play on Goodes is pointless.

Its like when we played Matthew Banks to play on Rocca. The guy played 4 games, 3 of them against Collingwood.
If we were 3-6 I'd agree, put a young guy in to have a crack,. BUT we are one game out of the top four and this is going to be a very tight year. In this case the strategic move outweighs the development argument.

Laycock is in simply for back up purposes. As Kev pointed out today his deveolpment so far has been disapointing., however if he can smash into Everit and Jolly a few times that is few times Hille doesn't have to.
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

DYSON#2 wrote:sammy lonergan injured?

Don't think so
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'd rather have Ryder on Goodes. He may get beaten but could just as easily hold his own.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Sismis wrote:

I dont have anything against Bolts himself, I think he is an ok player. However, if we are re-building, why not give the job of playing on goodes to a younger player?

If Bolts was playing most matches (and deserving it at the time), the I wouldnt have a problem with it. But to play him simply to play on Goodes is pointless.

Its like when we played Matthew Banks to play on Rocca. The guy played 4 games, 3 of them against Collingwood.
If we were 3-6 I'd agree, put a young guy in to have a crack,. BUT we are one game out of the top four and this is going to be a very tight year. In this case the strategic move outweighs the development argument.
Yep.

That is, of course, assuming that Bolts can actually do the job....
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Does it make us too top heavy, with Fletch, Mal, Paddy, Hille and the Cock?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

billyduckworth wrote:Does it make us too top heavy, with Fletch, Mal, Paddy, Hille and the Cock?
Not if they take lots of marks and dominate their opponents :wink:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote:

I disagree with this not for the rebuilding argument as such. I just think you should pick your best 22 (maybe a few extra kids if you're having a shithouse year, which we are not) and THEN work out the match-ups.
Don't decide on match ups and then pick your team.
Therefore Bolton should not be in the team.

And Collingwood are probably closer to the top 4 than us, but they are also giving their youngsters a decent go. I just think that we are nowhere near a premiership team this year, don't play guys that shouldn't be there when we are.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

If essendon played sydney in an elimination final this year. would ppl want Bolton to play on goodes or not....that is the question.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.