Next Week vs Port Adelaide

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Next Week vs Port Adelaide

Post by paddyl90 »

See how they go tomorrow night. I can't wait. Sunday twilight game 16:40 EST so excited :D 9 day break so hopefully heal those injuries.

Thoughts?
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

We did cop it a little tonight, physically and we've had a few good wins.

A few said this will put our season in perspective, and i think we are mentally motivated to do well.

We'll see how Port goes this week.
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

I rate Port highly. But they are in a mid-season slump.

I believe we can win after the win at AAMI in Rnd 1.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

A mate at work asked me yesterday if I thought we'd win. Obviously, my answer was I hope so. I said we've come off a couple of good(great) wins so we could be a little flat. I said our record at Phone Dome is good and West Coast's is not that great.

I think the morale down at Windy Hill will be sky high at the moment and there will be a sense of optimism after already beating Adelaide over there this season. Could our interstate hoodoo be coming to an end? I'm certainly confident we'll get up, but we'll see how Port goes this week. (Early on and the scum are up by a goal.)

I think we'll REALLY see where we're at later in the year when we travel west twice. Freo I think we'll have a good chance, West Coast is probably not going to be a win, they'll step up a level leading into the finals.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Port looking very shaky against Carlton early.

51-29 Blues way.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Hmmmmm. As Gossy7 said, Port look absolutely ratshit against Carlton and i think it's fair to say they're now in a genuine slump. They are playing terribly and the entire team just looks completely disinterested tonight.

Prior to tonight, i was taking a 'wait and see' approach with Port. Losing three in a row to Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney (at the SCG) is no big shame, as those 3 clubs all look the goods to date. But now that they're getting flogged by Carlton there's no doubt they're seriously battling.

And with Port, it's all between the ears. The difference between their best and worst is enormous, and it's usually dependent on the attitude in which they take to the game. I wonder which Port will show up to play us next week - the 'can't be f*****' Port playing Carlton tonight, or the 'i'm gonna play my guts out' Port that was prevalent earlier in the year?
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

With the way Port have been playing in recent rounds, it's fair to say we will trash them by 50 odd.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Hmmmmm. As Gossy7 said, Port look absolutely ratshit against Carlton and i think it's fair to say they're now in a genuine slump. They are playing terribly and the entire team just looks completely disinterested tonight.

Prior to tonight, i was taking a 'wait and see' approach with Port. Losing three in a row to Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney (at the SCG) is no big shame, as those 3 clubs all look the goods to date. But now that they're getting flogged by Carlton there's no doubt they're seriously battling.

And with Port, it's all between the ears. The difference between their best and worst is enormous, and it's usually dependent on the attitude in which they take to the game. I wonder which Port will show up to play us next week - the 'can't be f*****' Port playing Carlton tonight, or the 'i'm gonna play my guts out' Port that was prevalent earlier in the year?
They always seem to turn up with the latter against us ever since we embarrassed them a few times in the early 2000s.

There is no way that next weel is a given no matter how Port are playing. Form can change very quickly and Williams will have them up and about ready for us make no mistake!!!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Port had the ascendency early in the last quarter and if they kept it up could have run over Carlton, but the Blues seemed to be able to run away with it in the middle too easily when they finally managed to get hands on the ball. From there it was a given.

Port had no interest in chasing or applying pressure, etc. Carlton were able to virtually do whatever they wanted once they had the ball.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Just a couple of players that I noted in last nights game.

Justin Westoff- Second game and he has kicked 7 goals already good hands and pretty tall. Wonder who would take him.

Chad Cornes- Had a pretty good spell last night.

Warren Tredrea- Had a shocker but kicked a late goal. He lumbered around the ground and looked slow. It's his 200th next week hope they drop him on poor form neither though it wont make a difference with him on the field :wink: but if they can't get motivated by the death of Williams' mother then what hope are they of doing it for Tredrea.

Knowing that they'll be on fire.

Hope not.

Going to be a great game

Cant wait!
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

KaaN10 wrote:With the way Port have been playing in recent rounds, it's fair to say we will trash them by 50 odd.
I dont think its ever fair to say you will simply thrash a side, there is no such thing as an easy game in the AFL, I mean if there was we should have thrashed Richmond a few weeks back. Port still have alot of quality players who are in a form slump, form can turn around in a week. I think with the way we are playing we should get up but we will have a fight on our hands.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Gatsid wrote:
KaaN10 wrote:With the way Port have been playing in recent rounds, it's fair to say we will trash them by 50 odd.
I dont think its ever fair to say you will simply thrash a side, there is no such thing as an easy game in the AFL, I mean if there was we should have thrashed Richmond a few weeks back. Port still have alot of quality players who are in a form slump, form can turn around in a week. I think with the way we are playing we should get up but we will have a fight on our hands.
my thoughts also
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

If we go in the game thinking that we will trash Port we are in for a serious disappointment - like the Carlton game. Hopefully our players -and our coach - know better now. I we get our mind to do whatever it takes to win we should prevail, but expecting an easy win is a receipe for disaster.

Indeed no easy game in the AFL....
Red and Black Forever
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

spikefan wrote:If we go in the game thinking that we will trash Port we are in for a serious disappointment - like the Carlton game. Hopefully our players -and our coach - know better now. I we get our mind to do whatever it takes to win we should prevail, but expecting an easy win is a receipe for disaster.

Never a truer word spoken.

If we apply pressure the way we have been in the last few weeks (vs Sydney and WCE) then Port are likely to fall to pieces, but if we go out there and expect it to just happen for us... we're just as likely to play them into some serious form just in time to regroup over the break.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

spikefan wrote:If we go in the game thinking that we will trash Port we are in for a serious disappointment - like the Carlton game. Hopefully our players -and our coach - know better now. I we get our mind to do whatever it takes to win we should prevail, but expecting an easy win is a receipe for disaster.

Spot on.

Last year we were expecting the same thing (despite the fact that we weren't winning at all!) - we were getting close but losing - they looked shite - then they came to Melb and pumped us by 10 goals.

Any team can beat any other in this league if you don't turn up switched on.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Port are even on more of a roller coaster ride then our team this year. They have a few young blokes who are struggling, plus a big one in Tredrea.

But Williams has come out on record & called his team 'soft' - the ultimate insult a coach can lay at his players. Expect Port to come hard at us in the 1st qtr (maybe a few high shots), as they will want to assert their authority so that we remain their 'bitches'.

But if we keep playing the way we have been playing the last fortnight & keep our eyes on the ball (let them give away the stupid free kicks, we give away the smart ones), we will beat them & set ourselves up nicely for the 2nd half of the season.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

It should be an interesting game on sunday, obviously the long break will be to our advantage and will let blokes like Fletch, Licha and Stants get fit again. Being at aami port will no doubt be a better team then the one that ran out on sat night so we can't get ahead of ourselves. Michael is in great form at the moment and will take the struggling Tredrea. Obviously the danger men are the Corne's and the Burgoyne boys. If we can stop them, it will make our task a lot easier and set us up for a good win.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

If we go man on man we have a big chance. Port Adelaide players like getting the ball out in space.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

bombers_rock wrote:A mate at work asked me yesterday if I thought we'd win. Obviously, my answer was I hope so. I said we've come off a couple of good(great) wins so we could be a little flat. I said our record at Phone Dome is good and West Coast's is not that great.

I think the morale down at Windy Hill will be sky high at the moment and there will be a sense of optimism after already beating Adelaide over there this season. Could our interstate hoodoo be coming to an end? I'm certainly confident we'll get up, but we'll see how Port goes this week. (Early on and the scum are up by a goal.)

I think we'll REALLY see where we're at later in the year when we travel west twice. Freo I think we'll have a good chance, West Coast is probably not going to be a win, they'll step up a level leading into the finals.
I feel exactly the same way... I think it will need a big effort mentally to bring our A game against Port...who will be setting themselves for this game.

Port will be thinking their season is on the line.(so should we, but maybe we have spent some of our footy god luck in the past 2 weeks)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

My only concern is that we have had three very hard fought games in the past three weeks. Whether that will take a toll on a few players, remains to be seen. Port Adelaide are a bogey side. We struggle against them no matter what. They have singled Tredrea out this week, so he'll probably come out blazing (although I think he's physically struggling).

We should be able to win this one, but I am very cautious.