Record after mid-season signing of our coach

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
seer
Top Up Player

Record after mid-season signing of our coach

Post by seer »

With Kevin Sheedy there's an inverse relationship between the rhetoric and the performance: when we're doing worst is when he talks the greatest amount of crap, and now that we're doing better, he's very much keeping focussed on the week ahead and no further. Best of all, he's not even talking about next year's contract.

Behind the scenes that will be occupying much of his time.

Does anyone know our record after KS is re-signed mid year? In 2004 we were 8 wins, 3 losses when new contract. Lost 8 of next 13 to finish 8th.

In 1996 signed the week of prelim final, which we lost, then '97 14th and '98 8th.

If the players want him to remain as coach they will keep winning to assist him.

Previously, after he's got the big contract, players and coach resort to their comfort zones.

Only ones not comfortable are supporters, administration and committee.

CAN ANYONE SUPPLY A SINGLE REASON TO RE-SIGN HIM BEFORE SEASON'S END?
New Coach, New Hope
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Thankyou Alec Epis.

But I would wait until the end of the season as well.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I think it's a bit unfair to say a 1 point loss in Sydney was the result of Kevin Sheedy being re-signed prior to the match.

The board have said all along that they'll be reviewing Sheedy's contract in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I don't imagine that necessarily means that they'll make a decision and sack him or re-sign him at that exact moment in time. I think it'll be a long process that will probably go close to the end of the season.

Don't forget this is Hird's swansong season. I don't think the boys will let a little thing like Sheeds re-signing get in the way of winning for the maestro.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

He should not be offered a new contract until the season is almost over.

The warm and fuzzy feeling may change suddenly around here if we dont win another game.

Problem for Sheeds is I he may have gone close to getting a new contract with maybe 8 wins for the season. After all, that would be a fantastic improvement on last year with the direction going forward clearly right.

Now, he has raised the bar and I am afraid its probably finals or bust for Sheeds from this point forward
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

They should wait until the end of the season, or near enough to it. The team has already exceeded expectations IMO. They have won some incredible games angainst quality opposition. If he wants another couple of year, I reckon the club should give it. The group is responding to him, and he is tactically aware (something that was very questionable over a month ago).
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

the demons/saints/tigers might try and sign kev.

I think he would walk into any team struggling at the moment, and he probably would take on the above three roles with gusto if the EFC had a brain explosion.

sheeds won't be leaving essendon tho, unless he decides to retire.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Don't the Richmond supporters get all jittery as soon as anyone mentions Sheeds struggling etc at any point in time!!!

They see him as their saviour and would take him if he was 114 years old and senile and still believe that they will finally make the finals!!!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Western Red wrote:Don't the Richmond supporters get all jittery as soon as anyone mentions Sheeds struggling etc at any point in time!!!

They see him as their saviour and would take him if he was 114 years old and senile and still believe that they will finally make the finals!!!!
Well, even in that state, he'd still be better than what they've had in the last 25 years :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Sheeds is in a very strong position right now and would be crazy not to capitalise on it.

I would like to see the issue resolved and out of the way for the rest of the season.

As for influencing the performance of the team...

Phuuut!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark