Round 12 - Port Adelaide v Essendon Game Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dom_105
Club Captain

Round 12 - Port Adelaide v Essendon Game Thread

Post by dom_105 »

The Vitals

Ladder Essendon 5th, 7 Wins 4 Loss, Port 10th, 6 Wins 5 Loss

Head to head: Port Adelaide 10 wins, Essendon 6 wins.

AAMI record - Played 21, Won 6, Lost 15
Against Port Adelaide - Played 6, Won 2 Lost 4

Last time: Port Adelaide 20.9 (129) d Essendon 9.15 (69) Round 9, 2006, at Telstra Dome.

Forecast Adelaide - A mainly fine day, then a shower or two developing late afternoon or evening. Max 15

Broadcast Fox Sports, Channel 7 (Adelaide ONLY), 5AA, Triple M Adelaide (Simulcast in Melbourne), SEN, 3AW, ABC, etc.

Typical 8 Point game we have on our hands here, Win, and Essendon increase their margin between them and the bottom 8. Lose, and the bottom half of the 8 gets tighter and tighter. Assuming Sydney also win against Collingwood next week, that would leave 4th through 10th seperated by percentage only.

A win would see them back in the top 4, but with a percentage significantly lower than the top 3 sides and Adelaide, who would be fifth.
Last edited by dom_105 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

[quote=Hirdismyhero;7856092]Post as much info as you can to inform the rest of us, I'll get a bit down now...

Brent Stanton faces a fitness test today to determine whether or not he'll play; And I'm not confident.

Line Up:
BP: Hird FB: Michael BP: Bolton
HBF: McVeigh CHB:Ryder HBF: Fletcher
W: Slattery CNT:Stanton W: McPhee
HFF: Peverill CHF:Lucas HFF:Welsh
FP: Davey FF: Lloyd FP: M. Johnson
RK: Hille RR: Watson RV: Winderlich

INTERCHANGE: Camporeale, Johns, J.Johnson, Laycock, Heffernan, Monfries, Nash

IN: Heffernan, Johns, Nash

Fair line-up, I say.

ODDS:
TAB SPORTSBET: Port Adelaide: $1.85
Essendon: $1.88
DOMEBET: Port Adelaide: $1.80
Essendon: $2.05

It's fair to say those odds suck.

Date of Match: Today, Sunday 17th of June, 2007
Time of Match: 4:40PM AEST
Venue: AAMI Stadium

http://www.essendonfc.com.au Preview:

Essendon’s confidence is brimming after defeating the benchmark of the competition, West Coast, last week in a one-point thriller to record their fourth win in a row. And you can be sure the Bombers won’t want to let go of that winning feeling too easily when they take on the Power this Sunday. The Bombers will be hoping to use their momentum to spur themselves to their fifth consecutive victory and avenge last years’ ten-goal loss against a Port Adelaide unit that punished an injury ravished Essendon line-up.
Essendon does not boast the best record interstate, particularly against Port Adelaide, having lost the past five encounters between the two sides at Football Park. However, poor past performances offer no excuse this time around, as the Bombers prepare to short-circuit the Power.
What needs to go right
The easy analysis is that West Coast are a better performed side than Port Adelaide and, if Essendon play the way they did last week, they should take home the points. But going into the game as the fancied side has previously seen the Bombers become complacent and not play to their potential. It is a trait that has hurt them in matches against Carlton, Hawthorn and the Kangaroos this season and, following those losses, the Essendon boys should be well aware that past performances are not enough to get a team over the line.
Essendon have a reputation for traditionally good starts, with the exception of last week, and it is an attribute they need to display again on Sunday. The Bombers know that getting off to a good start - although not pivotal in deciding the final result - will provide an important boost, and they will be looking to start with momentum.
They will also be hoping to fire with the same accuracy they showed in front of goal last week, to get value for their entries into the forward fifty.
A good start and accurate kicking by Essendon will help take away any interstate crowd advantage and place doubt in the minds of their opponents who have suffered four consecutive defeats.
Head to head
Dannyl Pearce looms as a major threat to the Bombers. With blistering speed and classy skills through the midfield, he has shown the capability to punish many opponents this year. His endurance ability teamed with the aerobic prowess of Steven Salopek and Peter Burgoyne, mean Port Adelaide is sure to have the Bombers’ midfielders feeling like they have covered plenty of ground at the end of the match.
However, Essendon boast their own array of pace throughout the corridor and it is crucial that the likes of Alwyn Davey, Jason Winderlich and Brent Stanton are able to not only provide run but also enough defensive pressure in order to eradicate any advantage the Power might have.
Warren Tredrea is known for his ability to shape a game and regardless of his recent form slump, he is sure to be inspired this week as he prepares to play his 200th AFL game. Known for his ability to kick a bag, Tredrea has averaged five goals a game in his past five encounters with the Bombers and he will need to be shut down early in order to limit his effectiveness. This role is likely to be shared between Dustin Fletcher and Mal Michael, with Kevin Sheedy playing an extra man back, as has been the case with opposition spearhead forwards this year.
While at the other end of the ground, the Scott Lucas/Matthew Lloyd combination always looms as an exciting mix in the Bomber’s attack. Port Adelaide will be working hard to find a means of nullifying the duo - who both rank in the top six goal scorers in the league - in order to diminish a large component of Essendon’s goal scoring power.
Chad Cornes is likely to play a leading role in this assignment, assisted by his brother Kane and renowned contributor Shaun Burgoyne to eliminate these avenues to goal.
At the selection table
Essendon have made no changes to the team that defeated West Coast last week. Chris Heffernan, Courtney Johns and Jay Nash have been added to the squad of 25.

TV COVERAGE:
Fox Footy: (Live)
Melbourne: 4.30pm
Adelaide: 4.00pm
Perth: 2.30pm
Sydney: 4.30pm
Brisbane: 4.30pm

Seven Network
Adelaide 4.30pm (delay)

All times are local times.

RADIO COVERAGE:
Live coverage:
ABC Melbourne 4:00 PM
SEN Melbourne 4:00 PM
MMM Melbourne 4:30 PM
3AW Melbourne 4:30 PM
MMM Adelaide 3:00 PM
ABC Adelaide 3:30 PM
5AA Adelaide 3:30 AM
6PR Perth 2:30 PM
ABC Perth 2:00 PM
ABC Hobart 4:00 PM
ABC Darwin 3:30 PM

All times are local times.

LAST TIME:
Round 9, 2006:
Port Adelaide 20.9 129 def Essendon 9.15 69
Venue: Telstra Dome
Crowd: 29,232

Well there you have it, all the info I can conjure up for today's match; Hopefully the rest of you can fill in the pieces I missed, if any .

Peace![/quote]
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Late withdrawels

IN:Nash, Heff.
OUT:Stants, Campo.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Travis Boak is set to make his debut for the Power.
A ball-magnet at TAC Cup level in 2006, Boak was the second highest picked midfielder in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft. He racked up 20 plus disposals in nine of his 10 games which included a 41-disposal game. He represented Vic Country in the 2006 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, but wasn't as prominent as he was in the TAC Cup, averaging 13 disposals after injury limited his preparation.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

I think we'll get a good turnout for this game.
duke
Top Up Player

Post by duke »

Grrrr no foxtel for me, so I'm reduced to listening to this game on the radio.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

What shits me is that there is NO FTA football today in Melbourne. Whats up with that?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

dom_105 wrote:What shits me is that there is NO FTA football today in Melbourne. Whats up with that?
FTA sucks for football since the new deal in 2007 took effect. There's no doubt Foxtel got by far the best deal for what they paid.

But their coverage and commentary is better than what 7 and 10 dish out anyway.
duke
Top Up Player

Post by duke »

Yes, but I'm a cheap bastard, so I'll just suck it up and listen to the game on the radio. Next time I'll be organised and go down the pub...
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Seriously you need Foxtel if you want footy its worth it. Easy for me to say since my parents pay for it :P even if you just get the cheapest package includin sport still good. FTA footy is shocking this year.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

[offtopic]

Whats the lowest package price to get all sports channels. And is their a way to only get sports?

[/offtopic]
Last edited by KaaN10 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Good question gimme two seconds to research :P
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

http://www.foxtel.com.au/Pricing_Guide_Dec06.pdf

Theres the packages

Free Installation going atm so get in while its good first month free and best package. Was really good for wathcing games like today "Port Adelaide vs Essendon" today

"topic"
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Why is campo out, i didn't think he was injured in anyway last week?? Unfortunately i will miss the game as i will be at the airport seeing off my sister.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Thanks Jumbo.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

f***'n hell Tredrea, he'll kick 5+ today I know.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Now Burgoyne...shit, this a crappy start

PA 2.0.12
Ess 0.0.0
Last edited by swoodley on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

0-12, Burgoyne/Treadrea. What a dream start...
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Or he won't. Wait til things settle a bit. :)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

KaaN10 wrote:f***'n hell Tredrea, he'll kick 5+ today I know.
Im worried about that as well... he has kicked the first goal of the game (which will really help his confidence in his 200th) not really the start we wanted.