Sheedy: Vintage 2007

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Sheedy: Vintage 2007

Post by Filthy »

OK...bottom 4, 2 years running with disastrous injury lists, meant the blooding and the coming though of many good kids that are going to be great for us. No need to go over all that...we've been there, done that.

So what of the future? To look at the future, I think one needs only to look at the way the master coached this year and his attitudes expressed during the year.

What was he confronted with? An almost full list in the last praccy game and a 10 goal win over Ninthmond. Fast forward to the opening round 2 weeks later and we were about 8 down including Hird and co with bloody soft tisues, shoulders etc. Still we won easy.....against Love Child #1 and reigning Premier. It went all down hill from there especially with Lloyd out for the year and almost a full team out for the year, by R22.

So what was Sheeds reaction? Did he flood to stop the potential of blow out losses? Did he play up to 18 guys in front of the opposition like we saw at the weekend? No.

He played attacking footy no matter what and despite the injury's we lost 13 by 4 goals or less. Even putting aside frustrating skill errors, it was good to see the guys going for it and at least trying things. The skill errors will go with the sacking of certain individuals and the hopeful recruiting of better personal to replace them.

Sorry for taking so long to get to my point but I think if you see the way he coached against the Doggies in R22, that will be a mirror image of what he proposes going forward with some tweeking. Giving them a 46 point start we headed them but couldn't finish them off, just going down by 3. View our performance with all those injury's vs a full list Scum side on the weekend against the same team, only a week later.

Sheeds needs to succeed next year or its curtains, and he knows that. With his back to the wall, he always rises to the occaison....given some long overdue luck with injury. He will not flood. He will try and emulate the Doggies speed game to overcome the crap flooding we have seen but I am sure having watched him all these years there will be some tricks up his sleeve, to have a game plan based on attack, attack, attack & speed to the Lloyds and so on and a rebounding defensive wall. This will be made easier with the return of the speed of Licha and Lovey (missing most of the year), our 2 quickest players with your Stants, Dysons, Gus's and so on.

I for one, Aka or not, am looking forward to seeing our renaissance. We do NOT stay down long. :wink:
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Love your work.

In terms of recruiting, is there any need to change our coaching lineup supporting Sheeds. ??
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Yeah mate there has been huge changes from the CEO down.

Matty Knights as well as Bendigo Coach, will look after 23 yo and down as youth coach. Dodoro moves up to a Executive Recruiting Position with more assistants. Quinn gets more hands on help and Scientific assistance. I am sure there are other changes so I invite my colleagues here to add what else has been done in the EFC shake up recently announced.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's good that Sheeds is getting the youger players used to playing running, attacking football as we will be better off as a side for it in the future when the skill level increases and we get a full side on the park.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Sheeds always comes out fighting when his back is against the wall. Always has. What is a pass mark next season? If we win 8-11 games is that enough for him to keep the job? He will say so. The list is improving so he will want to keep his job.

There has been some positive changes off field this year. Hopefully they will start to bear fruit next year. Injuries have killed us the last few seasons. If you are not making changes every week due to injury it is so important. The back 6 is crucial and if they can play most games you are halfway there.

Funny how the Swans have had 15 players play 23 or 22 games this season. On top of no injuries last season. Any wonder why they will play in 2 GFs.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I think that if we have a reasonable run with injuries, then finals football is the minimum requirement next year.

The goal (mission statement?) of the club has been to play finals, finish top four and win flags.

Peter Jackson has already said that there would have to be serious questions asked if we miss a third year of finals in a row.

Play finals and he stays.

Miss out again and he might be quietly told it's time to hand over rto someone else.
Last edited by swoodley on Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

BERT wrote:Sheeds always comes out fighting when his back is against the wall. Always has. What is a pass mark next season? If we win 8-11 games is that enough for him to keep the job? He will say so. The list is improving so he will want to keep his job.

There has been some positive changes off field this year. Hopefully they will start to bear fruit next year. Injuries have killed us the last few seasons. If you are not making changes every week due to injury it is so important. The back 6 is crucial and if they can play most games you are halfway there.

Funny how the Swans have had 15 players play 23 or 22 games this season. On top of no injuries last season. Any wonder why they will play in 2 GFs.
Spot on Bert....most people don't notice the bleeding obvious. And note the age of Adelaide, Sydney, Collingwood, St. Woeful, and a few other Clubs lists. I mean if say Grant West and Johnson all went down in one hit with Smith retiring would that affect the Bullies? Of course it would, even allowing for their young guns. Their older guys have been consistently sensational this year.

We have the 4th youngest even with Jim, Fletch & Campo. Lot to look forward to.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

BERT wrote:Sheeds always comes out fighting when his back is against the wall. Always has. What is a pass mark next season? If we win 8-11 games is that enough for him to keep the job? He will say so. The list is improving so he will want to keep his job.

Didnt they win 8 games in Sheedys "worst season ever" as it was then. I reckon if they dont win at least 10 games next season and finish say 10th or better on the ladder then the time will come for Sheedy to move on.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Two bad years for Essendon with a depleted playing list. He made us play one-on-one attacking football to see who is good enough to take us forward. Our young players improved drastically this year and we lost close games due to our senior players not being on the paddock.

yeah, lets sackhim. lol.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Essendon4eva wrote:Two bad years for Essendon with a depleted playing list. He made us play one-on-one attacking football to see who is good enough to take us forward. Our young players improved drastically this year and we lost close games due to our senior players not being on the paddock.

yeah, lets sackhim. lol.
Don't sack him at this stage but what happens if we have another crap year next year (with or without injuries)?

Should we still keep him then?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

We would have to make the finals for him to stay next year. He has shown what is to come next year when we get Lloydy back, Johns and Lucas up forward, a fast, play on most of the time game. This will hopefully stop the flooding crap. We all saw what happened when we played slow chip, posession footy. We got beaten. But once we freed up again, we tore the other team apart.
The next question is more about our Senior list of players Solomon, Welsh, McPhee, etc. Will they play better footy next year? I sure bloody hope so!!!
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

Sheeds will come through and we will play finals next year, anything less is unacceptable and would see the end of our beloved Sheeds.

As for what recruiting i would like to see with regards to coaching staff: a forward line coach, we really looked out of wack up forward and with a full side they need a plan.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Thanks, I was thinking about his senior coaches, seems as though the club is very comfortable with Ayres, O'Donnel and Wallis.?? Perehaps too comfortable, no challegers for his jobthere IMO. ( i.e. O'Donnel clearly doesn't want to step up)
Filthy wrote:http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=4852

This may help Uptick! :D
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

mrredfox wrote:Sheeds will come through and we will play finals next year, anything less is unacceptable and would see the end of our beloved Sheeds.

As for what recruiting i would like to see with regards to coaching staff: a forward line coach, we really looked out of wack up forward and with a full side they need a plan.
I agree we need a better forward coach. What about trying to get TD back? Or Vanders - what is he doing these days?
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

billyduckworth wrote:
mrredfox wrote:Sheeds will come through and we will play finals next year, anything less is unacceptable and would see the end of our beloved Sheeds.

I agree we need a better forward coach. What about trying to get TD back? Or Vanders - what is he doing these days?[/quote]

Drinking piss!! 8)
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Work on forward structure and field skills and goal kicking. They should be the major points of focus for the pre season. If we didn't have so many poor field skill errors or shocking kicks at goal we would have finished much much higher.

To lose 13 games by less than 4 goals, majority that we were in front or well within winning range inside the last quarter, says to me that we could have just as easily been playing finals footy right now. We just need to clean up our skills around the ground so we hhit targets by hand and foot... and don't sell teammates into trouble.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant