Turning Back The Clock - Paul Salmon 1984

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:Thanks for the post, Benny. Still sends shivers down my spine thinking of that day. The first game of footy I ever remember is listening to the 1968 GF on the radio as a 7 year old and cursing Carlton for beating us (still hate them now).
My cousin who's much older than me was a scarred individual after that '68 Grand Final loss. He was 11 years old, reckons we were robbed, and he locked himself away in his bedroom for two days (so he says). He has a deep seated hatred for Carlton that will remain with him for the rest of his life.

As for Eliminitis...yeah, sure do remember it. I bagan barracking for the Bombers in 1973 - the year we lost to the Saints in the Elim. I was too young to really remember the game etc...the same goes for '74. But 79, 81 & 82.......yeah, it was a bloody jinx.

I still have fond memories of the big party at Windy Hill the following day after the '84 Grand Final and getting autographs from our hero's.
Ben...a statistical error from you...what is happening :shock:

We lost elimination finals in '72 & '73 not '73 & '74. They were the first two years of the final five and our first two years with Tuddenham as coach. We missed the finals from '74-'78 before losing elimination finals in '79, '81 & '82 and the again in '86
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Didnt we also lose the 1986 elimination final to Fitzroy? Was it Micky Conlan who kicked a goal just before the end of the match to win them the game? Hadnt had a kick all day?

My old man still bleeds about that one.

Oh well, we had the last laugh.
They dont exist anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a real shit of a day. Yeah, Conlan did FA and ended up the match winner. For memory, Hawker busted his guts trying to get us over the line but to no avail. It absolutely pissed down that day.
Not many of you will remember him but we had a guy playing for us at the time called Michael Thomson. He was a bit of a fringe player and was always in and out of the side. That day against Fitzroy he played probably his best game in Essendon colours playing on Conlan. As previously stated, Conlan did FA all day as Thomspn completely blanketed him....until the final minute of the game when Conlan kicked what turned out to be the winning goal...Thomson ended up at Richmond...football can be cruel.
Most definitely his best game ever. Always was a replacement player when someone got injured. Never thought much of him myself, but was doing GREAT that day. Was once married to Brigitte Duclos.....not sure if he still is. Used to be in partnership with Tim Watson in a landscaping business as well.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:Thanks for the post, Benny. Still sends shivers down my spine thinking of that day. The first game of footy I ever remember is listening to the 1968 GF on the radio as a 7 year old and cursing Carlton for beating us (still hate them now).
My cousin who's much older than me was a scarred individual after that '68 Grand Final loss. He was 11 years old, reckons we were robbed, and he locked himself away in his bedroom for two days (so he says). He has a deep seated hatred for Carlton that will remain with him for the rest of his life.

As for Eliminitis...yeah, sure do remember it. I bagan barracking for the Bombers in 1973 - the year we lost to the Saints in the Elim. I was too young to really remember the game etc...the same goes for '74. But 79, 81 & 82.......yeah, it was a bloody jinx.

I still have fond memories of the big party at Windy Hill the following day after the '84 Grand Final and getting autographs from our hero's.
Ben...a statistical error from you...what is happening :shock:

We lost elimination finals in '72 & '73 not '73 & '74. They were the first two years of the final five and our first two years with Tuddenham as coach. We missed the finals from '74-'78 before losing elimination finals in '79, '81 & '82 and the again in '86
Geez! Quite right there swoods.......I'm getting slack!

We also lost the 1991 Elimination Final just so I can say.....touche! :lol:
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

A weird coincidence happened in the 84 GF that as yet I have never seen or heard of anyone noticing or commenting on...our winning score 14.21 was identical to the score we kicked in in our previous flag winning year in 1965.

Nudder little tid-bit for all you Fish lovers out there. The day he did his knee out at Collingwood, their supporters spat on him as he was being carried around the boundary on the stretcher...Gees, is it any wonder we hate them.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Also kicked 21 behinds in '84 and '00 and the opposition kicked 9 behinds in those years.

St Kilda won the wooden spoon in both years and our reserves had won the pemiership the years before ('83 and '99)
clackers69
Top Up Player

Post by clackers69 »

Boy has this topic brought back a flood of great (an some no so great, but very vivid, still) memories.

I was on the wing at Vic Park when Salmon did his knee. I nearly got in a punch up with a few Collingwood supporters after pushing my mates girlfriend (fiance?) of the time, a 'Pies fan (who he later married), for laughing when Salmon got injured.

Loved the '84 GF. Sat behind the goals, a bay or so from the Hawks cheer squad. I actually touched the ball during that game after Roger Merrett, I think it was, kicked a goal in the 3rd quarter. I should have grabbed it, but wasn't thinking too well, just cheering my arse off and punched it away!!!

And what a great roar when we were kicking those last quarter goals. Still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck when I remember Leon Baker's goals - simply magnificant!!!

I could go on, but won't....yet....
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

clackers69 wrote:Boy has this topic brought back a flood of great (an some no so great, but very vivid, still) memories.

I was on the wing at Vic Park when Salmon did his knee. I nearly got in a punch up with a few Collingwood supporters after pushing my mates girlfriend (fiance?) of the time, a 'Pies fan (who he later married), for laughing when Salmon got injured.

Loved the '84 GF. Sat behind the goals, a bay or so from the Hawks cheer squad. I actually touched the ball during that game after Roger Merrett, I think it was, kicked a goal in the 3rd quarter. I should have grabbed it, but wasn't thinking too well, just cheering my arse off and punched it away!!!

And what a great roar when we were kicking those last quarter goals. Still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck when I remember Leon Baker's goals - simply magnificant!!!

Do you recall the Hawthorn cheer squad calling out at 3Q time;

"Number 1 - Ken Judge........Number 2 - Chris Mew...." and so on? They expected their players to be receiving their premiership medallions! A mate of mine (who barracks for Hawthorn) said that is what they were doing at 3Q time and he was cursing them because he thought it may be a bad omen......as it turned out to be!
clackers69
Top Up Player

Post by clackers69 »

BenDoolan wrote:
clackers69 wrote:Boy has this topic brought back a flood of great (an some no so great, but very vivid, still) memories.

Do you recall the Hawthorn cheer squad calling out at 3Q time;

"Number 1 - Ken Judge........Number 2 - Chris Mew...." and so on? They expected their players to be receiving their premiership medallions! A mate of mine (who barracks for Hawthorn) said that is what they were doing at 3Q time and he was cursing them because he thought it may be a bad omen......as it turned out to be!
Must admit I can't recall what they were chanting. Remember them going off tap early when they kicked a few gaols, but thought that were pretty quiet for most fo the game. Plus we had our own worries for most of the game, but you could sort of sense that we were getting on top in the 3rd quarter. Still didn't expect what happened in the last, though...and boy did we love it!!!

One thing we always said was that Bradbury was always good for a goal in a tight game (snuck up from the backline a few times during the season - or previous seasons - to kick goals) and when the ball landed in his lap for the 2nd goal of the last quarter, only a few seconds, or so it seemed, after Baker's early goal, that phrase had never sounded so sweet....."Bradbury, alllllwaaaayyyyysss good for a goal - yyyeeeesssss!!!!"