On the Couch

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dheal
Top Up Player

On the Couch

Post by dheal »

I don'nt like giving energy to the bearded clam ( F-wit of the century) but last night he has contaminated Sheahan who agreed with him when he stated Essendons position on the ladder flatters them, we should be about 14th if all the close games went against us, WELL WE WON THEM, the sign of a good side & will continue to improve. Using the same principle last year we should have finished in the 8 as we lost numerous games by small margins.. As usual he also stated Lloyd should get a week. We now move on & absolutely smash Geelong on friday night, I believe the club is fired up after recent events & listening to Gary O'Donnell on the website when his opening words were "Geelong were coming to get you"
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Last year when we lost close games, people were saying we should be higher on the ladder but unlucky. Now we are winning them and people think we should be lower on the ladder because we have been lucky.

Walls is a f*ckwit, no questions about it. He has a deep hatred for us and Collingwood, and its all to do with jealousy. His team has no money and are getting flogged week in, week out.

I guess Sydney were lucky all those times they won close games in 05 and 06.

Like Finey said on SEN on Fineys Final Siren on Friday night, "never underestimate a team that knows how to win". The Richmond win gave us the confidence to win games that by all rights, we shouldnt. 6 goals down against the Druggies, 3 goals down with 5 minutes to play against Melbourne.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

I couldnt believe his comments.....i switched over to the Diana Concert as soon as he made them. Our ladder position flatters us bc we have won close ones....one big ****** wanker!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Question for Robert.....

How are Carlton travelling?
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

yer the boys know how to win.

geelong this week, will really give us the test we need I feel.

its heartening to know we can play good final quarters.

even though we miss a four quarter effort at times, this is miles better than fading out like we had in previous years.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

How many of these games do we have to win before it stops being a fluke?

We have won 10 out of 13 last quarters and are the highest scoring 4th quarter team IN THE LEAGUE!

Remember the bomber fade outs of the last couple of years? They are gone, if the Bombers are anywhere near you at 3/4 time, Shit if we're within 3 goals in redtime be very very afraid.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Walls is an idiot and wouldn't know if his ass is on fire...

What a brain dead dead-beat...

Stick it right up em all Bombers!!!

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Lets really turn on the heat for the MAGNIFICENT JAMES HIRD this week...

Wonder what excuse they will make if we win against Geelong...
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Sismis wrote:How many of these games do we have to win before it stops being a fluke?

We have won 10 out of 13 last quarters and are the highest scoring 4th quarter team IN THE LEAGUE!

Remember the bomber fade outs of the last couple of years? They are gone, if the Bombers are anywhere near you at 3/4 time, Shit if we're within 3 goals in redtime be very very afraid.
exactly sismis, thanks for coming up with the stats.

every game if we hit the finals this year, we will be underdogs you would think. And to be able to come from behind to win, this is the exact characteristic you want to see from an up and coming team.

I believe at year end we will have new regular team members in:

Houli, Nash, Davey and Jetta.

With blokes like Hislop, Gumbleton,Lonergan, Hocking,Dempsey knocking on the door.

And with Hirdy gone next year, and LLoydy on the veterans list, we have got some cap space to bring in some new talent, and reward the young blokes who are really starting to earn their crust.(davey/Mcveigh/ryder etc).
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I tend to use percentage as the best indicator of where a team will finish. At the moment, we're on 103 odd which puts us around 8th in the comp. I think that 5th place does probably flatter us a little and we'll be found out once fremantle, the bulldogs and adelaide start rolling. But I think that Port, Collingwood and the Kangaroos will be in the same boat as us.

Saying that we could feasibly be 14th is just silly. We've beaten sydney and adelaide away and the games we have dropped are the ones we should have won. You've got to get some credit for that. If collingwood came from nowhere to beat west coast they'd be called a premiership team but we just don't get any credit.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

andrewb wrote:I tend to use percentage as the best indicator of where a team will finish. At the moment, we're on 103 odd which puts us around 8th in the comp. I think that 5th place does probably flatter us a little and we'll be found out once fremantle, the bulldogs and adelaide start rolling. But I think that Port, Collingwood and the Kangaroos will be in the same boat as us.

Saying that we could feasibly be 14th is just silly. We've beaten sydney and adelaide away and the games we have dropped are the ones we should have won. You've got to get some credit for that. If collingwood came from nowhere to beat west coast they'd be called a premiership team but we just don't get any credit.
That is a very logical post. Well said!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

andrewb wrote:I tend to use percentage as the best indicator of where a team will finish. At the moment, we're on 103 odd which puts us around 8th in the comp. I think that 5th place does probably flatter us a little and we'll be found out once fremantle, the bulldogs and adelaide start rolling. But I think that Port, Collingwood and the Kangaroos will be in the same boat as us.

That's an interesting post.

I was looking at the For and Against lists yesterday and noticed that we're 4th (only a few points between us and 2nd... with a massive margin to Geelong way out in front) in the league in Points For, but on the flip side we're 12th in points against (with about 60 points between us and 8th).

Put that together and we average out in the bottom part of the 8. 5th might be slightly flattering, but then had we beaten Carlton we'd be 4th, on the same points as Hawthorn and WCE. Surely we have to get some credit.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:Last year when we lost close games, people were saying we should be higher on the ladder but unlucky. Now we are winning them and people think we should be lower on the ladder because we have been lucky.
Yeah, and that's why what Walls and Sheahan was saying is fine.

If it is okay for us to say we were unlucky last year (when we lost so many games), then it is also okay to say we are lucky this year to have won so many close ones.

Our current position on the ladder does flatter us IMO. At best we are probably a 7th-8th side I think.