Never been prouder to be a Bomber.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Very, very proud of our team. Their efforts for 3Q's was fantastic. We all sensed that the last quarter was going to be very tough. As soon a Hissy went off, that was it - nothing left to give.

Geelong capitalised on our mistakes much better than we did theirs. Lucas played from behind far too often, but when he got in front - he always marked! I said the same thing last week, and even though he got 5 goals, he had a tendancy to WANT the back position. Strange. Love ya though, Scotty!

Our midfield was depleted without Stants and Winderlich playing, and we had to rotate a number of players through there over the night. We were in front on the clearances at 3Q time which was a fantastic effort considering their midfield. I'm suspecting that we got blown away in that department in the last Q though.

Overall, I think this game showed how far our team has come this season regardless of the margin at the end.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

YES, very proud of the effort, but a 50 point loss is a 50 point loss....we are too proud a club to be happy with that.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

merc_2 wrote:YES, very proud of the effort, but a 50 point loss is a 50 point loss....we are too proud a club to be happy with that.
Would not have been the case had we not sustained the quality of the players injured on the night.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I am very upset at what transpired in terms of injury and reports but totally happy with the valiant efforts.

Fletcher has been carrying an injury for a while I reckon. His groin was really troubling him last night. So when he gets given a mandatory 2 weeks for his brain explosion on Tenace he can recover.

I totally agree on why wouldnt you hit that on cry baby Ablett. He and McVeigh were pushing eachother and Ablett gets one a little harder and then sooks to the umpire as if he's had his windpipe collapsed. What a wuss. I really think Mark should get off that one but we are dealing with anti Essendon forces seemingly everywhere.

I couldnt believe when Hird went off. I had a bad feeling just as Fletcher kicked the ball to him. There were 2 Geelong players lurking with intent and he managed to avoid getting crunched but in doing so did his calf.

I thought Davey had been concussed but it turns out he broke his arm. This is very very bad. Then Hislop and Ryder. Given we had only about 16 fit men on field and no interchange available we did very well indeed. Geelong were basically lucky and when pressured by us right up until we started feeling the pinch were ordinary.

A couple of observations. What is with Mcphee's decision making of late ? I think Laycock did a lot better in the ruck than Hille.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Ramanaskus is back.

As for Fletcher......

sorta proves why he's always been in the category between excellent and champion. He is extremely close to the champion but champions dont do that. He was frustrated his last 2 kicks were shit so he took his frustration out on the Geelong bloke, poor.

As for Ablett, weak. Very very weak.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

The only reason we got done by 50 points in the end was because we didn't have any one on our interchange bench. Our best player for at least the past month did a calf in the 2nd quarter, the fast person in the afl broke his arm in the 2nd quarter as well. Although i am not blaming injuries for our loss, it was a big contributor. We did f****** well in that 3rd quarter without those two players and to keep in the game.
And i think last night was a massive change for the club, cause for the past few years the team would of just given up and let the other team run all over them. They didn't, they kept getting to contests, kept running the ball, kept doing all the little things. We can't be angry at the performance the boys gave us last night, if anything be bloody proud of the effort they put in.
Madden
Club Captain

Re: Never been prouder to be a Bomber.

Post by Madden »

Filthy wrote:People will say Filth has finally lost his marbles. We got done by 50 points!
I wouldn't say that. We all know you lost your marbles years ago. 8)

But I agree with your post 100% mate. Great stuff.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Spot on Filth, though I am still dirty on the fact that it blew out in the end. But at the end of the day, we did well, but we are a fair way off the top team. Geelong are a very good team and we kept with them, but fitness and skill caught up with us.

We are on the right path at least.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I'm proud of Macca for giving that smarmy little shit one, and between you and me I reckon a week or two off will be worth it.

His girlfriend is kidding herself. I don't think I've seen a noncier player since Modra.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

merc_2 wrote:YES, very proud of the effort, but a 50 point loss is a 50 point loss....we are too proud a club to be happy with that.
I would have agreed with you if we hadn't been without 2 midfielders (winderlich, stanton), a half back (NLM) and out captain before the game. Then lost our quickest player (davey), spritual leader (hird) and rising star during the game (ryder).
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

I am proud. Not proud of losing by 50 points - but proud that we stuck with the "best" for 3 quarters losing a stack of good players in the process. I'd like to see how Geelong, or any team for that matter, goes without a bench.

Agree Filthy. Well done Bombers - have every right to hold your heads high.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Agree with all the above. Well done to Jobe for truly going above and beyond the call. Inspirational to watch. Gringo must be spewing... Well done to Welshy too. Showed adaptability which will be more than handy in coming weeks.

Hats off to Fletch and Paddy for playing hurt for the team. My only beef is with those Essendon "supporters" on the wing behind the coaches box giving it to Paddy (I'm sure they aren't on this forum). Low life's like that should go follow St Kilda or Collingwood instead...

As for next week, here's hoping Westy's groin is as bad as it looked...

:wink:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I'm glad there is so much agreement about how well we played. (50 f^&*ing points ......)

The thing that was most pleasing to me was, The ussual suspects Hird, Fletch, Lucas had very little impact on the game. This effort was driven by Watson, Mc Phee, Welsh, Lovett, Nash, Hislop and paddy :( etc. This was improvement from the middle teir and shows an exciting development for the club.

Over the next couple of weeks we will be tested. A lot of people are waiting for us to fall, I think we are going to stand up and be counted.

The other pleasing thing is the form of Hille/Laycock. We actually have a potent ruck duo. A ruck duo that an play 100% of the game, This is going to be imperative against the doggies.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Very happy with Welsh and Nash !
solly4me
Top Up Player

Post by solly4me »

Totally agree with all, but I do think our season is at the crossroads. Will depend on how all respond to the losses - of the game and of players!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I remember that game against the Doggies as a turning point as well. From that point onwards we hardley ever go beaten for 3 years....

It was a miserable night and I think it was alessio who kicked a few key goals for us.