Crichton Medal Results

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Crichton Medal Results

Post by swoodley »

From Bomberblitz

2006 Crichton Medal Top 10 -

Scott Lucas 239
Jobe Watson 221
Dustin Fletcher 208
Brent Stanton 196
Andrew Welsh 188
James Hird 180
Jason Johnson 165
David Hille 157
Mark McVeigh 143
Nathan Lovett-Murray 135

Other Award Winners -

Bill Hutchison (Community Service) Award – Jason Winderlich
Lindsay Griffith Rising Star Award – Courtney Johns
Most Courageous Player - Angus Monfries
Striving for Excellence (Best Clubman) Award – David Hille
Most Improved Player - Jobe Watson
Leading Goalkicker - Scott Lucas
Goal of the Year - Andrew Lovett - Round 7 vs. Carlton
Mark of the Year - Mark Johnson - Round 19 vs. Collingwood
Cheer Squad Player of the Year - Angus Monfries
AFL Staff/Trainers Award - Mark Bolton
VFL Staff/Trainers Award - Ben Jolley
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Andrew Welsh is a huge suprise being so high, also Mcveigh being so low is a shock.

That's about Bolton's 5th trainers award isn't it?

Well done to Scotty and Jobe.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Predictable but fair - Lucas, Watson, Fletcher and Stanton were probably our 4 best this year. Jason Johnson must have plucked a huge amount of votes in the 2nd half of the year to poll that many considering his first 10 or so rounds. Only person who i thought might've been higher is McVeigh. Congrats to Lucas.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Well done to Scotty. Well deserved. Thought the results reflected the season. The only suprise was Welsh being so high. Though Spike could have been higher as well.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Lord help us all. I can't believe Watson was seond in our B and F. Don't people understand that the style fo football he played is dead!!!!!! He is precisely what Collingwood's midfield is composed and we all saw what the BUlldogs did to them! Unless you have extrordinary skill with both foot and hand, you have to be super quick to compete in the midfield. Watson is neither! His ball getting ability is superb and his quick hands at stoppages is also great, but he gets flogged unmercifully coming back the other way, and his foot skills are amongst the worst in the league for a midfielder. This is not the way forward for Essendon as a team my friends!!!
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

gringo wrote:Lord help us all. I can't believe Watson was seond in our B and F. Don't people understand that the style fo football he played is dead!!!!!! He is precisely what Collingwood's midfield is composed and we all saw what the BUlldogs did to them! Unless you have extrordinary skill with both foot and hand, you have to be super quick to compete in the midfield. Watson is neither! His ball getting ability is superb and his quick hands at stoppages is also great, but he gets flogged unmercifully coming back the other way, and his foot skills are amongst the worst in the league for a midfielder. This is not the way forward for Essendon as a team my friends!!!
Ever seen Scott West play?
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Scotty did well. Happy with Jobe, Gus and Johnsy.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Well Done Scotty. Congrats to Jobe, Angus, Brent and Dustin for such a good season.

As I've said elsewhere, if Stanton and Watson have big skills preseasons, expect to see them fighting it out next year... along with their spots on the All Australian team.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

Well done Scotty
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Onya Scotty. Great second half of the year, and credit to Jason Johnson for a likewise blistering finish. :D
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Well done Scotty. Well deserved.

Mostly predictable/accurate, but some slight surprises IMO:

(1) Welsh so high & McVeigh a bit low (others have already pointed this out)

(2) Peverell not in top ten (I know he had a bad first half of the year, but should have picked up some votes late in the year)

(3) Solomon, McPhee & MJ all not in the top ten (all have been in the past - they really did have a bad season!)
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BERT wrote:
gringo wrote:Lord help us all. I can't believe Watson was seond in our B and F. Don't people understand that the style fo football he played is dead!!!!!! He is precisely what Collingwood's midfield is composed and we all saw what the BUlldogs did to them! Unless you have extrordinary skill with both foot and hand, you have to be super quick to compete in the midfield. Watson is neither! His ball getting ability is superb and his quick hands at stoppages is also great, but he gets flogged unmercifully coming back the other way, and his foot skills are amongst the worst in the league for a midfielder. This is not the way forward for Essendon as a team my friends!!!
Ever seen Scott West play?
Good call Bert. Give the kid a break Gringo...
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I think we all acknowledge that Watson needs to improve his kicking skills, but still he showed fantastic improvement this year and will have many good years ahead of him yet.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

A great season from Scotty, he deserves the B&F.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Well done Scotty and Jobe. Give Jobe another season and with more experience I reckon he will be pressing for AA selection.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

rama_fan wrote:Andrew Welsh is a huge suprise being so high, also Mcveigh being so low is a shock.

No its not a surprise for Welsh to be high, hes a good player and sets up many attacking moves with his disposal of HB, Much like Gilbee and Joel Smith. The quarterback type, people just dont see this, and why he is important to this team.

Stanton Im disappointed only fourth :wink: he's going backwards and in his 3rd year :P :P

Geezus we get em pretty close dont we with our site votes.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

nomolos wrote:
rama_fan wrote:Andrew Welsh is a huge suprise being so high, also Mcveigh being so low is a shock.

No its not a surprise for Welsh to be high, hes a good player and sets up many attacking moves with his disposal of HB, Much like Gilbee and Joel Smith. The quarterback type, people just dont see this, and why he is important to this team.
But they have good disposal. Weslh's disposal is shit and he struggles to kick it further than 40 meteres. Good trade bait in my opinion.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

I'm sorry, but the results of that is just shit!
I kind of agree with the top 4, but after that is rediculous. McVeigh should of in my opinion came 2nd or 3rd. Welsh shouldn't have even got a mention in the top 10.
David Hille should of gotten much higher and I really don't think jason Johnson had the year that was worthy on a top 10.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

lozza89 wrote:I'm sorry, but the results of that is just shit!
I kind of agree with the top 4, but after that is rediculous. McVeigh should of in my opinion came 2nd or 3rd. Welsh shouldn't have even got a mention in the top 10.
David Hille should of gotten much higher and I really don't think jason Johnson had the year that was worthy on a top 10.
Obviously not how the coaching panel saw things.

The beauty about the B&F is that players may get votes based on a certain contribution made as directed by the coaches, stuff that we as supporters dont know about.

To the voters of these awards its never just about who was BOG etc.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

lozza89 wrote:I'm sorry, but the results of that is just shit!
Results here (and in the all australian team) are based on the subjective opinions of those voting.

Quite often these people are looking at things from a different persepctive than the average supporter.

They are aware of roles that certain players are expected to play on a given day and vote accordingly.

If the results were more to your liking lozza, then a lot of others would be disagreeing with them.

It's impossible to satisfy everyone....but that can be said for most things in life. :)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012