Speedy Gonzalez

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

Speedy Gonzalez

Post by Madden »

Last time we played Hawthorn we went in waaaaay too tall and got blown away on the ground. Hawthorn are a quick running side, and we will need an injection of pace to beat them.

The last game against Hawthorn was probably Sheedy's worst 'coaching' performance of the year, both in the players that he picked and the way that he refused to put an extra player back to clog up the space in front of Franklin. He can't afford to make either of those mistakes again.

IMO

In: Fletcher, Jetta, Lovett (if fit) / Houli
Out: Bradley, Gumbleton, Lovett-Murray (stiff, but we need some pace)

Thoughts?
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Agree wtih your first two outs, but Disco Murray should definately play. In any event, from what I can tell he's pretty quick! Shown some great form over the past fortnight.

BUt you are correct about them killing us for pace. We need to clog up the midfield. If guys like Bateman are allowed to stroll through their without any pressure, we will be soundly beaten. If we make it a hard, contested game, we stand a real chance.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Whats the go with Courtney Dempsey? I know he has been injured, but i thought a while ago he was quite close to returning? He was pretty impressive on the wing last year at breaking the lines.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

L-Murray has to play.

Had a very solid game, and was crucial in the last quarter. Very reliable and had some quality possessions coming out of our 50.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

sconsey wrote:Whats the go with Courtney Dempsey? I know he has been injured, but i thought a while ago he was quite close to returning? He was pretty impressive on the wing last year at breaking the lines.
Came cack into to the twos 2-3 weeks ago but did his hammy again in that game.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Somewhat surprised that no-one has at least raised the possibility of JJ. He most certainly is not quick, but played very well against Hawthorn earlier in the year (close to our best if memory serves) and if poor weather prevails, he comes into his own (see St Kilda game last year). On a wet day, i'd have him as close to first selected.

Notwithstanding our midfield selection musings, i think the game will be won or lost in our defence. If a certain K Sheedy (wait, that's too obvious..... let's call him Kevin S) wants to allow their tall guys oodles of space to lead into, waits until one of them kicks 6 or 7 before making a change or refuses to drop a man in the hole, then the midfield issues will be rendered moot.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Lovett-Murray needs to play. He does have some pace and can break tackles, I quite like his playing on a wing or half-back, he can take a grab as well so could even play in front of Franklin.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Sure Jaosn Johnson can help, but its all about getting the right mix. Watson, Johnson and Peveril in the smae team, makes us too slow. Unless, we make sure too keep rotating the three and try not to have all three of them on the ground at the same time.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

NLM to play. Thought he was very good on the weekend

If JJ is fit and firing, bring him back in definitely.