Tanking

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Tanking

Post by Rossoneri »

This is getting beyond a joke now, and despite what that fat c*** says, its rife in the AFL and its degrading the game.

Carlton up half way through the last quarter then Carazzo, who was their major ball winner at the time, comes off for a spell.

5 minutes later he comes on for Scotland, who is their second major ball winner. Fev has a sore quad, so he comes off, then comes back on once they are three goals down.

The tanking is beyond a joke and the AFL wont admit it. Get rid of the priority at the start of the draft and everyone will be happy (most anyway) or do a lottery system similar to the one in the NBA.

St. Kilda, Melbourne, Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon have all tanked for extra picks and its a blight on the game.

If Anderson and Vlad come out this week and abandon the prioritiy pick, watch Carlton win a couple more games. If they come out now and get rid of the extra pick, nothing can be said about it. They cant cop any flack from carlton as they will then be admitting to tanking the season.

Its now farcical and another way that Vlad and Adolf have managed to degrade the game even further

[/rant]
Last edited by Rossoneri on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Totally agree with ya ross, its just a joke now, Carlton could of easily won that game, but no, as you pointed out, there 3 main players have to come off for a spell when the game was in the balance,

WHAT A JOKE!

NBA system must come into play next year.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

Carlton in front, outplaying Collingwood - Fev, Scotland, Carrazo OFF.

Collingwood 4 goals to 0 from Carlton in time on of the last quarter.

What a farce.

F-A-R-C-E.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

The only thing that is going to give me solace when we no doubt find some way to lose to the pathetic rabble that is the Carlton Football Club, even though they will be tanking and trying to lose the game, is the fact that we will cost the bastards their precious priority pick!!!
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

Think about how ****ing hard it is to bounce back from a 93 point loss. Collingwood were aboslutely ripe to drop this game, and they clearly should have.

Now let me say, if Carlton beat us in 2 weeks time... I will consider committing a serious crime.
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

Meanwhile, Richmond just continue to make tanking an art form.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

I reckon we're underselling the Blues a bit.

Remember last year in the GF Cox and Kerr came off the ground with 5 minutes to go to have a rest.

I'm watching the replay now and see no indication that they're trying to lose.

I think Brett Ratten would be doing everything possible to get a win.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Lloyd is King wrote:Meanwhile, Richmond just continue to make tanking an art form.
No, they're just shit. Tanking is when you are good enough to win, get close but just lose.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I think they would've lost anyway - i think i heard Lane say that Carlton have won 3 of 17 last quarters this year, whereas Collingwood have won 11/17. Suggests that Carlton just genuinely suck in last quarters.

We'll never know whether they deliberately dropped this game, but i will say that they're certainly playing with more spirit now in the absence of Pagan.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I don't think they tanked....it was more that Rocca finally decided to try and earn his money.

Carlton had no one capable of holding both him and Cloke once they started playing in front.

I must admit I was secretly and silently hoping they would win...it would have been a double whammy....Collingwood's top four chances would have been dealt and serious blow and the scum would have lost their priority pick.

Ah well, such is life :-k
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

swoodley wrote:I don't think they tanked....it was more that Rocca finally decided to try and earn his money.
Saddington had played on Rocca for 3 quarters and kept him goaless. Gets taken off at 3/4 time and Rocca kicks 4. They are tanking for sure.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Certainly looks highly suspicious to me.
Put up a good show (so your supporters don't get too cut)
but make sure you lose so you keep the priority pick!!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Interesting when you see key matchups taken away ... and the moves aren't made by the team losing the match up.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
canberrabomber
Top Up Player

Post by canberrabomber »

Vlad and Anderson narrowly define "tanking" as players deliberately losing or being instructed to lose by the coach/club administration.

Off course no club or player would be stupid enough to admit this, however, there is more than one way to skin a cat as the cliche goes and so there is more than one way to manipulate the outcome of a game to make it "more likely" you will lose while maintaing the farcade that players are "trying". These include, picking kids, putting players out of position, continuing players on opponents when being flogged, "resting" players at crucial times etc.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Cheating is a way of life at Carlton.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This is football's version of "match fixing". In cricket, the culprits are thrown out of the game and shamed for life. In AFL, you are rewarded with the best picks in the draft. F****** ridiculous.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I dont think we have ever tanked.... Last year you seriously think we tanked for pick 20??

Pick 1 is worth tanking for not pick 20
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

BenDoolan wrote:This is football's version of "match fixing". In cricket, the culprits are thrown out of the game and shamed for life. In AFL, you are rewarded with the best picks in the draft. F****** ridiculous.
You can say that again.
It's the biggest blight on our "great" game. The sooner the AFL realises the system is royally screwed, the better. There's gotta be a better way - it's just what that better way is.

I think they prefer messing with the rules because that's a lot easier than actually thinking about what will reduce/eliminate tanking. If Vlad and Angry Anderson don't see it after today, they're absolute morons (if they weren't already).
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

They said Fevola was injured. I say if he was hurt and finals were on the line, would he have toughed it out?
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Essendon4eva wrote:They said Fevola was injured. I say if he was hurt and finals were on the line, would he have toughed it out?
Probably. Making the finals and getting finals experience is far better than having none. A team that goes close one year should be in a position to have a more serious crack the following year (the situation we're in at the moment) and finals experience will come in handy.

Although, I guess you could argue no as well. Would they risk their best forward if a win means they're only just going to scrape into finals? They'd need him for the finals, by keeping him on and risking further injury, he's not going to be much use to them come finals.