Kickett on Sheedy sacking.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Kickett on Sheedy sacking.

Post by nathanskinner »

Kickett: 'Feel my pain'
05 August 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

DEREK Kickett, sensationally dropped from Essendon's 1993 premiership side, says coach Kevin Sheedy copped some of his own medicine by being sacked.

Derek Kickett
Giving to Sheeds: Derek Kickett.

The famous rift between the pair lives on, with Kickett saying he would never forget Sheedy didn't directly communicate news of his omission.

"It's funny he said the board had not been totally up front with him with their decisions and their communication," Kickett said.

"He's dirty on the club, but he should be looking at '93, when he did exactly the same thing to me.

"The Essendon Football Club and Essendon supporters have got to understand that he never spoke to me. He got someone else to do his dirty work and (football manager) Danny Corcoran told me."

Kickett praised the contribution of Sheedy, saying he should be proud of what he's achieved.

When asked if he had forgiven him he refused to comment.

"You've got to retire sooner or later," Kickett said.

"He's had a good, colourful career. He's played in premierships and coached in premiership sides. A lot of players and past players have never been in that situation, so he should be happy with what he's achieved.

"But, no, you don't forget it. It was a chance to get your name in history.

"I don't like to comment on that part of it (whether he has forgiven him). That's the thing I don't want to talk about. There's more to life than football."

Kickett, who works for AFL Victoria, said he didn't think Sheedy would coach again. He said Essendon could rebuild quickly.

"To be honest I don't think another club would take him as a coach," Kickett said.

"But as far as marketing or for help for the coaching staff, he would be looked at. But not as coach.

"They've got a lot of good young players. A lot of people didn't think they'd go this well at this time of year.

"One or two players have had Sheeds their whole career, like (Matthew) Lloyd, (Dustin) Fletcher and (James) Hird.

"Young guys like (Leroy) Jetta and (Paddy) Ryder, they can have that opportunity under another coach, like the others never got."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Kickett on Sheedy sacking.

Post by BenDoolan »

nathanskinner wrote:Kickett: 'Feel my pain'
05 August 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

DEREK Kickett, sensationally dropped from Essendon's 1993 premiership side, says coach Kevin Sheedy copped some of his own medicine by being sacked.

Derek Kickett
Giving to Sheeds: Derek Kickett.

The famous rift between the pair lives on, with Kickett saying he would never forget Sheedy didn't directly communicate news of his omission.

"It's funny he said the board had not been totally up front with him with their decisions and their communication," Kickett said.

"He's dirty on the club, but he should be looking at '93, when he did exactly the same thing to me.

"The Essendon Football Club and Essendon supporters have got to understand that he never spoke to me. He got someone else to do his dirty work and (football manager) Danny Corcoran told me."

Kickett praised the contribution of Sheedy, saying he should be proud of what he's achieved.

When asked if he had forgiven him he refused to comment.

"You've got to retire sooner or later," Kickett said.

"He's had a good, colourful career. He's played in premierships and coached in premiership sides. A lot of players and past players have never been in that situation, so he should be happy with what he's achieved.

"But, no, you don't forget it. It was a chance to get your name in history.

"I don't like to comment on that part of it (whether he has forgiven him). That's the thing I don't want to talk about. There's more to life than football."

Kickett, who works for AFL Victoria, said he didn't think Sheedy would coach again. He said Essendon could rebuild quickly.

"To be honest I don't think another club would take him as a coach," Kickett said.

"But as far as marketing or for help for the coaching staff, he would be looked at. But not as coach.

"They've got a lot of good young players. A lot of people didn't think they'd go this well at this time of year.

"One or two players have had Sheeds their whole career, like (Matthew) Lloyd, (Dustin) Fletcher and (James) Hird.

"Young guys like (Leroy) Jetta and (Paddy) Ryder, they can have that opportunity under another coach, like the others never got."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html
Perhaps if he actually took the phone calls from Kevin Sheedy at the Moonee Ponds Centrelink where he worked he may have told him then. But each time my mate told him Sheeds was on the phone he said "tell him I'm not here".
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

What a sad, miserable man.

Still whingeing over something that happened 14 years ago.

Get over it you fat idiot. Nobody cares.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Agree, there have been plenty of players more worthy of a place in a Grand Final side than Tubby Kickett

Sure, a real disappointment for him but gee, get over it.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Not sure he actually said he wasn't over it. Sheeds has said time and time again if he had his chance he'd do it differently. Dont forget Kickett played EVERY game and did do some magic things that year.

Of course I still believe had he stayed with us he would've played in a GF in 1996.

The other interesting thing is that one of Sheedy's pet project Dean Wallis was a suprise inclusion, now I know people claim it was for structure reason but did we really need him? No one ever slams Sheeds for that decision though......
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:Not sure he actually said he wasn't over it. Sheeds has said time and time again if he had his chance he'd do it differently. Dont forget Kickett played EVERY game and did do some magic things that year.

Of course I still believe had he stayed with us he would've played in a GF in 1996.

The other interesting thing is that one of Sheedy's pet project Dean Wallis was a suprise inclusion, now I know people claim it was for structure reason but did we really need him? No one ever slams Sheeds for that decision though......
These debates will go on forever and a day. I believe he was extremely stiff. People say he did nothing in that finals series - truth is, he didn't do much, and truth is, he spent bucket loads of time on the bench to limit his influence anyway. If Kickett didn't do anything during that finals series, then what did Wallis do? Answer: he didn't play a game until the GF. Strangely though, Kicket didn't bemoan Wallis getting a gig, he attacked Watson.

The issue with Sheeds not telling Kickett personally is rubbish. I know for a fact that he did try, but Kickett refused to take the call.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Not sure he actually said he wasn't over it. Sheeds has said time and time again if he had his chance he'd do it differently. Dont forget Kickett played EVERY game and did do some magic things that year.

These debates will go on forever and a day. I believe he was extremely stiff. People say he did nothing in that finals series - truth is, he didn't do much, and truth is, he spent bucket loads of time on the bench to limit his influence anyway. If Kickett didn't do anything during that finals series, then what did Wallis do? Answer: he didn't play a game until the GF. Strangely though, Kicket didn't bemoan Wallis getting a gig, he attacked Watson.

The issue with Sheeds not telling Kickett personally is rubbish. I know for a fact that he did try, but Kickett refused to take the call.
Very true. Agree with everything you said to Benny.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

David Flood was more unlucky to miss the GF. He played a brilliant Prelim and made way for Harves.

On form Kickett should have been dropped.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Still cannot get over it, after 14 years.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:Still cannot get over it, after 14 years.
Reality will say he never will. And how would you? Missing out on being part of the greatest day of a footballers life. Going down in history etc, etc.

I knew Graeme Anderson very well - former Magpie wingman of the 70's. He played in the 1977 Drawn and Grand Final loss, and the 1979 Grand Final loss. To this day he wakes up in sweats because of those losses, missing out on prestige and history. It hurts hard, more than anyone can ever imagine being a non AFL player.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mil Hanna does :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

That was Kickett's one and only chance to be in a winning GF side. He had played every game and helped us get there. I think he was very stiff to miss out but the result of the GF and Wallis' s hit man approach to the game which helped win it vindicated this tough decision.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

swoodley wrote:

Mil Hanna does :lol:
:lol: :lol: Poor bastard has barely recovered.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

MH_Bomber wrote:That was Kickett's one and only chance to be in a winning GF side. He had played every game and helped us get there. I think he was very stiff to miss out but the result of the GF and Wallis' s hit man approach to the game which helped win it vindicated this tough decision.
Rubbish. Would've won without Wallis, only thing of real note he did was put that nit wit into the middle of next week.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

It was a terrible situation.

Kicket had barely registered a stat in the finals series.

Yet that season he played some of the most remakable games you will ever see.

The day V the bulldogs he single handedly won us the game.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I was all gung ho to bash on about Kicket being a sooky cry baby bitch but reading that article, I don't think he comes across that way. I think the author wants him to, but he seems more interested in NOT sooking about it, but skimming over that part and then admitting Sheeds has had a good career.

So I'm not going to hang shit on Kickett. I'll hang it on Jackie Epstein instead.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.