Is everyone focussed??

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dheal
Top Up Player

Is everyone focussed??

Post by dheal »

Saw the game live today & got the impression the players wanted to be anywhere but the windswept, cold MCG, maybe we are too cosy at he Dome! But i came up with 3 questions
Has all the interviews & media speculation taken the focus from Sheedy, it seems he had no time his week to prepare a game plan for today!
Secondly, the leadership vacuum left by Hirdy is far greater than i expected. AT THIS STAGE Lloyd has failed , he may grow into the role but his main job now is to get a kick preferably at full forward where he is meant to be & not kick chasing all over the ground with Lucas.
However as far as the Captaincy is concerned there dos'nt appear to be many leaders on the ground, we seem to have a shy bunch of players. Lets recruit some mongrel players who have a go. Maybe the new coach can turn some of our existing timid players into a never say die team
Thirdly i thought the side was poorly chosen more run was needed Houli instead of Monfries , who is off the boil (go in HARDER son, attack the ball, Winderlich also).
As for the rest of the season , get some pride back not like the rubbish served up today, kick long, be brave & take a chance & have the forwards play to position!!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

not that i saw todays game - but agree - houli and anyone of his age, speed, etc should be played in the last 4 games.

monfries is young so should also be given opportunities despite his very average (well, below average) season.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Got no problems with Monfries - a genuine talent who is still nevertheless learning the game.

I do think Lloyd is better off playing the game and let someone else be the Captain. I actually think its time to bite the bullet and let one of the new generation have a go.

From what I have seen, you have two candidates

1) Paddy Ryder - this kid is an inspiration already and given our huge link to the Aboriginal community, wouldnt it be great to have a cousin running the show.

2) The other is a long shot, Bachar Houli - looks like a great role model and young man on a mission. Would also have a fantastic effect on the bigger political issues goijn on in the world.

This is a young team so let them grow together. just as they did back in 93
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:Got no problems with Monfries - a genuine talent who is still nevertheless learning the game.

I do think Lloyd is better off playing the game and let someone else be the Captain. I actually think its time to bite the bullet and let one of the new generation have a go.

From what I have seen, you have two candidates

1) Paddy Ryder - this kid is an inspiration already and given our huge link to the Aboriginal community, wouldnt it be great to have a cousin running the show.

2) The other is a long shot, Bachar Houli - looks like a great role model and young man on a mission. Would also have a fantastic effect on the bigger political issues goijn on in the world.

This is a young team so let them grow together. just as they did back in 93
Taking the captaincy of Lloyd would likely result in huge dummy spit from him and probably a demand to be traded. He has wanted the role form the time he walked through the door at Windy Hill for the first time. The fact that he doesn't appear suited to it at present would not be something that he would agree with.

As for your suggestions re Ryder and Houli...both may be suitable for the role one day but not yet and certainly not for any other reason than their skill on the ground. The captaincy of our great club should not be influenced in any way by issues outside of football.

If you want a replacement for Lloyd, then (imo) the answer is obvious and that it to give it to Spike...he bleeds for the club and jumper more than anyone in the team and has the added benefit of actually playing well week in week out like a captain should.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

swoodley wrote:Taking the captaincy of Lloyd would likely result in huge dummy spit from him and probably a demand to be traded. He has wanted the role form the time he walked through the door at Windy Hill for the first time. The fact that he doesn't appear suited to it at present would not be something that he would agree with.
Even more reason to suggest that he may not be captaincy material. Not that I'm saying he's not - I think he has the potential to be a very, very good captain, but very different to the likes of Sir James. It's looking like the void left by Hirdy in the position of captain is bigger than Lloyd imagined it to be and he's trying to do more than he can.

Hird was an outstanding captain and epitomised what being captain is about. Lloydy will go down as a great captain by staying in the forward 50, kicking goals and contributing to the team on the scoreboard (directly or indirectly). Hirdy could do it all over the ground AND contribute on the scoreboard. Lloydy can't, and it's so frustrating to see him try to do it when its clearly not him.

You see other FFs kicking bags of 8+ goals. I really hope we see Matty kick another one before his days are up. He'll be remembered for that sort of thing - the goals he kicks himself and the goals he contributes to. He won't be remembered for venturing up the ground, putting in the 1%ers, getting the ball into the forward line only to have it rebound to the other end of the ground quicker than you can say goal.

Hopefully a new coach will do some good for his captaincy. Hopefully a new coach tells him to stay inside the forward 50 and do what he does best. Lloyd != Hird.
Last edited by bombers_rock on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Who else is there that is disciplined and a good quality player?

I would have said McVeigh if it wasn't for his acts against Geelong etc.

I do agree that our captaincy is a problem.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

swoodley wrote:If you want a replacement for Lloyd, then (imo) the answer is obvious and that it to give it to Spike...he bleeds for the club and jumper more than anyone in the team and has the added benefit of actually playing well week in week out like a captain should.
What would make more sense is to have McVeigh Vice Captain next year, he has played consistently well and his leadership skills are excellent. Vice Captain would be the obvious next step.
Red and Black Forever
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

I agree that McVeigh should be made Vice Captain, you can't deny that his attitude has turned around 180 degrees. I mean many times this year he has shut up and not said a thing to umpires compared to when he used to and half the time when they deserved it too. He's always been pretty good but this season he has really put his head down and just worked and worked and worked with no signs of slowing up until the season is over.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The next Captain - Jobe Watson
'51 Bewick

Post by '51 Bewick »

hop wrote:The next Captain - Jobe Watson
I have a feeling this will happen at some stage.
Really good temperament and plays in the right part of the ground.
Only query, I'm not sure how he goes at public speaking & media interviews.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

'51 Bewick wrote:Only query, I'm not sure how he goes at public speaking & media interviews.
Time will tell I guess. Heard him interviewed after one of the games (think it was Adelaide) and he was pretty good. Knew what he was talking about, spoke with ease, it was as if he'd done it a thousand times before. Maybe he gets that from his dad too. Tim isn't too bad a public speaker.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Jobe was on Before the Game a few weeks back and seemed pretty cluey. Kept his wits about him, played the club line by not really answering questions but rather sidestepping them with a bit of humour etc.

I was impressed. His performances on the park have also been nothing short of a revelation in the last year or so.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:Jobe was on Before the Game a few weeks back and seemed pretty cluey. Kept his wits about him, played the club line by not really answering questions but rather sidestepping them with a bit of humour etc.

I was impressed. His performances on the park have also been nothing short of a revelation in the last year or so.
Even after his much publicised debut, he spoke very well when cornered after the game.....hung shit on himself with a touch of humour
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Very good interview with him in the Sunday Age this week. I think that would have been his first major print interview.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.