Laycock's desperation

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Laycock's desperation

Post by j-mac31 »

I thought Laycock was one of a few who really played like he wanted to win yesterday.

Laid a couple of great tackles and that smother attempt where he got kicked in the face showed how much he cared.

The others should take a leaf out of his book and give a shit next week.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I was thrilled with his efforts yesterday. Put his body on the line, rucked well and took a few big grabs. Very impressive.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

gringo wrote:I was thrilled with his efforts yesterday. Put his body on the line, rucked well and took a few big grabs. Very impressive.
Agree.
Has really improved in teh past 6-8 weeks. Hope it keeps coming because he looks like he will be a very very damaging ruckman. Has geniune footy smarts about him and is a genuine ruckman.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

for the first time in a long time he isnt injured - what a difference it makes
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He is quickly becoming the no.1 ruckman in the team. Is there anything Hille has over him anymore?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

robrulz5 wrote:He is quickly becoming the no.1 ruckman in the team. Is there anything Hille has over him anymore?
Hille's better when the ball goes to ground. Roves his own ruckwork better Rob.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I do like the Chook, I do. I think he has much potential, and seems to have shrugged off whatever it was that made him look lazy before - fitness? Injury? Both.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

He has been excellent. I hope we have this bloke signed up for at least a 3 year contract because he is one of the best up and coming ruckman in the league.

One skill I especially like is that he can kick properly - something that quite a few other players seem to have lost the art of.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Not only does he kick the ball properly but he kicks to advantage for teammates (most of the time).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Played great! Definetly taking the next step to become our number one ruckman. I to, thought his desperation was great...Something that many other team members lacked on Saturday!!!!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

robrulz5 wrote:He is quickly becoming the no.1 ruckman in the team. Is there anything Hille has over him anymore?
Hille is probably more agile but Laycock is marking, rucking and goaling better than Hille at the moment.
Dr P
Top Up Player

Post by Dr P »

I no longer refer to him as lazy-cock.

Thats got to be a good thing, right?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Doctor Fish wrote:
I disagree. Laycock seems pretty good when the ball hits the deck. Also, Laycock is great at just grabbing the ball and booting it forward.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

j-mac wrote:
Doctor Fish wrote:
I disagree. Laycock seems pretty good when the ball hits the deck. Also, Laycock is great at just grabbing the ball and booting it forward.
I agree with your disagreement
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

In my opinion, Laycock roves his own ruckwork better than anyone in the league. He would have been a freak before they bought that holding the ball interpretation in. Good to see him coming along a bit... but remember that Hille was much better last week.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Laycock's game was just about the only positive in a dreadful loss. He is showing real promise.

The new coach will need to work out how to best use Laycock AND Hille. Both are capable of kicking goals, so maybe one possible option might be to play one up forward and rotate out of the ruck (dare I say, like the 1970s when the "resting" ruckman usually played in a forward pocket). It seems like a waste to sit one on the bench all the time.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Re: Laycock's desperation

Post by bombers_rock »

j-mac wrote:that smother attempt where he got kicked in the face showed how much he cared.
Is/was he ok after that? I don't think I heard. Sounded (as I didn't actually see the aftermath) pretty nasty.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Laycock's desperation

Post by j-mac31 »

bombers_rock wrote:
j-mac wrote:that smother attempt where he got kicked in the face showed how much he cared.
Is/was he ok after that? I don't think I heard. Sounded (as I didn't actually see the aftermath) pretty nasty.
Stitches put in around his eye after the game. No broken bone.

He will play this week.