Peter Power (Dons 84-85 fitness man) says we`re unfit

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Peter Power (Dons 84-85 fitness man) says we`re unfit

Post by Gyoza »

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 88,00.html

...but his reasoning seems completely flawed.

What do you guys think?
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

agree somewhat with his comments on Lloyd
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Yet we have one of the hardest runners and fittest blokes in the comp in Stanton........

Perhaps our crazy game plan has a lot to do with the MCG deficiencies.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I agree with alot of the article. While we have been playing well in the 4th quarter, only once has it been at the MCG, and that was the final 5 minutes against a team that hadnt won a game.
The rest of the games at the 'G, we struggle to run out the game (Carlton, both Collingwood games, both Hawthorn games).
The only four quarter performances we have given this year were both against Adelaide.

He is spot on with Lloyd as well.

The only part of the article I dont agree with is this
Quinn fired back at Power, saying his opinion was no longer relevant.
Well f***stick, his opinion seems to be very relevant. He hasnt been at the club for 16 years and he can see this.

Why have players like Laycock, Monfries etc still unfit and unable to spend time in the middle. We keep hearing its because they dont have an engine, is it impossible to build it up? NO!

Lloyds comments were disturbing yesterday, he said that we are built to play at Telstra Dome. Well skipper, something has to be done because only the first final will be played at Telstra Dome, and in the unlikely event that we make finals in the near future, we wont be playing there anyway.
canberrabomber
Top Up Player

Post by canberrabomber »

They have been unfit in the past but in my ill-informed laymens perspective, I'm not sure that is the problem at the moment is fitness per se.

I think we lack players with the physical attributes neccesary for the current style of football - this is more a selection and recruitment issue. Not too mention skills and decision making.........
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

canberrabomber wrote:They have been unfit in the past but in my ill-informed laymens perspective, I'm not sure that is the problem at the moment is fitness per se.

I think we lack players with the physical attributes neccesary for the current style of football - this is more a selection and recruitment issue. Not too mention skills and decision making.........
Huge factor in our losses at the G. Zoning off the ball carrier and dumb zone defence tactics have nothing to do with fitness....
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

Lloydy looks too heavy to me, hasn't got the short burst of speed he use to, and doesn't seem to be able to jump over a jam tin at the moment.

I think it would do him good to lose a bit of muscle, will help his game IMO.
Last edited by Scott on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
canberrabomber wrote:They have been unfit in the past but in my ill-informed laymens perspective, I'm not sure that is the problem at the moment is fitness per se.

Huge factor in our losses at the G. Zoning off the ball carrier and dumb zone defence tactics have nothing to do with fitness....
Or does it? Are we trying to preserve energy? Long bow to draw, but just a suggestion.

I know when I play, its easier to protect the space than run at the ball carrier as it reduces the need to use up some energy (yes, im lazy at times)

When we play basketball (again, long bow), we just play the zone defence because its easier to play and it involves less running. Because we only have 5 players, we need to conserve energy for the latter part of the game.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:Why have players like Laycock, Monfries etc still unfit and unable to spend time in the middle. We keep hearing its because they dont have an engine, is it impossible to build it up? NO!
Rosso, I can't understand how a 20 year old cannot be fit considering he has no injury to speak of. He is sadly out of form - that's a different issue. Recently, Monfries got towelled up against Tarkyn Lockyer to the point where Lockyer just continually ran off him wreaking havoc and where he kicked a couple of goals from half back. Rick Ladson did the same thing last week. Look at footage of Monfries last year - he was diving into contests, being courageous and creative (and deservedly won great admiration). This year he is just hanging back avoiding those very contests, and pays no attention to his direct opponent. That's a mental thing, not a physical one....
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

BenDoolan wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Why have players like Laycock, Monfries etc still unfit and unable to spend time in the middle. We keep hearing its because they dont have an engine, is it impossible to build it up? NO!
Rosso, I can't understand how a 20 year old cannot be fit considering he has no injury to speak of. He is sadly out of form - that's a different issue. Recently, Monfries got towelled up against Tarkyn Lockyer to the point where Lockyer just continually ran off him wreaking havoc and where he kicked a couple of goals from half back. Rick Ladson did the same thing last week. Look at footage of Monfries last year - he was diving into contests, being courageous and creative (and deservedly won great admiration). This year he is just hanging back avoiding those very contests, and pays no attention to his direct opponent. That's a mental thing, not a physical one....
Just a thought, but is it directional? As in, has he been directed to sit off those contests? Not his style to sit off a contest, as we saw last year.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Just a thought, but is it directional? As in, has he been directed to sit off those contests? Not his style to sit off a contest, as we saw last year.
I doubt it. It wouldn't explain the fact that he has been dropped twice, and possibly a third time this season.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:Ben & Ross...

I am just sick of watching us kicking heaps of points that costs us matches (eg Norf) that gives the opp a free quick kick in that we don't even look like touching all the way down the ground.
Ross' dissection of of our zones, lack of accountibility is spot on and where does the buck stop for these glaring deficiencies?
I totally agree with ya Filth. Everytime a behind is scored I am preparing myself for an opposition shot on goal in the next 20 - 30 seconds. It's a totally crap zone defence tactic we have. I'm not sure if you're trying to merge our dopey tactics / game plan with the "alleged" lack of fitness. Maybe the tactic makes us look unfit?

Funny though - when we win, we're fit, but when we lose, we're not.....
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

BenDoolan wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
I doubt it. It wouldn't explain the fact that he has been dropped twice, and possibly a third time this season.
I'd have to agree with you BD, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. It's always a possibility when you see someone seemingly acting "out of character".
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Filthy wrote:Ben & Ross...

I am just sick of watching us kicking heaps of points that costs us matches (eg Norf) that gives the opp a free quick kick in that we don't even look like touching all the way down the ground.
Ross' dissection of of our zones, lack of accountibility is spot on and where does the buck stop for these glaring deficiencies?
I totally agree with ya Filth. Everytime a behind is scored I am preparing myself for an opposition shot on goal in the next 20 - 30 seconds. It's a totally crap zone defence tactic we have. I'm not sure if you're trying to merge our dopey tactics / game plan with the "alleged" lack of fitness. Maybe the tactic makes us look unfit?

Funny though - when we win, we're fit, but when we lose, we're not.....
BD...you ALWAYS look fitter and quicker with you've got the aget, and the opposite when you haven't.

I do not think we are as modern AFL fit as other sides and my opinion of Quinn is well known.....the question of tactics belongs in the fitness department.

However, if you can have another look at the recent Crows game. Compared to us across the board, (yes they are older) they looked much bigger and stronger yet were still quick across the ground.

Why? Its got me stuffed. :shock:
I think overall Filth, there are a number of factors....

- Attitude / mind set is a big one
- positional moves
- game plan
- ability or lack thereof
- general fitness (carrying injury etc)

Not sure if endurance is our big problem at all. I know where you stand with Quinn, and I really have no opinion on the bloke because I am so far removed from his work. I can only speculate on his worth. Truth is, I really don't know whether our "tanks" or "engines" are running to capacity :|
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

We are second in last quarters won although stats at the "G" are appalling. And to think that this was our home ground
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ex-fitness coaches taking pot shots, former chairmen sniping at the current board, coach being interviewed by other clubs (including the one we are playing this week), captain who looks like a train wreck compared to his former self, star player and inspiration about to retire, third year in a row missing out on finals and a game plan that is inneffective on the most important football ground in the land.

Yep, things are just rosy down at Napier Street
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Isn't Peter Powers some F-grade magician?
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

Peter did an interview with KB on sen and he talks sense. A humble bloke, I know him personally. Hopes the boys prove him wrong on big Subiaco ground. We should ask the afl and dockers to make the ground the same size as the dome.
The problem is as timbercote said to me, they aren't strong enough in the core to break tackles. The Pilates bloke who has helped Geelong's training was asked to present to efc and was laughed out the door.
Isn't it obvious to everyone that efc can't play the modern running game?
Smashed by bulldogs, collingwood, geelong, port adelaide and hawthorn...
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

rama_fan wrote:Isn't Peter Powers some F-grade magician?
I thought he was Spiderman's arch-nemisis...

:mrgreen:
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:

maybe we zone because we aren't fit enough to play run-with football?

edit: sorry didnt read the whole thread first
Last edited by tonysoprano on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.