The team

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Johnno has had a disappointing year but i think Monfries would have been a better choice to be dropped this week. We will miss Johnno's toughness against Josh Carr and Solly just to name two.
very bloody true. lets drop a tough nut when we go in to play a team like freo
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Mrs Mercuri wrote: We will miss Johnno's toughness against Josh Carr and Solly just to name two.
Solly and Carr aren't tough...they're snipers said that about both of them when they were at Essendon and Port respectively.

Besides, don't think we have to worry too much about Carr after the way he shat his dacks when Natrats dropped his brother last year.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I think I'm the only one who thinks the MJ was very stiff to be dropped. He was pretty much best on ground only 2 weeks ago.

He has been struggling most of the year but I can think of a number of players who I would drop before him (Monfries, McPhee, Lovett, Johns etc etc).
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:I think I'm the only one who thinks the MJ was very stiff to be dropped. He was pretty much best on ground only 2 weeks ago.

He has been struggling most of the year but I can think of a number of players who I would drop before him (Monfries, McPhee, Lovett, Johns etc etc).
Count me in.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:I think I'm the only one who thinks the MJ was very stiff to be dropped. He was pretty much best on ground only 2 weeks ago.

But our selection committee usually takes about 10 matches to react to a player's form slide before dropping them.

Lovett or Monfries could play a brilliant final 4 rounds this year and magical opening 4 rounds next year, and they'll inexplicably be dropped in round 5 next year for their poor form this year.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Very true Jim.

There's a lot of blokes who are running around in this team who don't seem to have a role. Are Lovett and Monfires supposed to be goal sneaks, penetrating half forward flankers, or midfielders? They haven't been able to fulfill either of those roles. And what is McPhee's role?

Can't believe that in a team where those three (and Johns) are still playing, you would drop MJ, a man who won us the game two weeks ago. He's not in great form, but at least there is the potential that he could do something. We are still trying to make the finals, right?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

And so ends MJs run of 80 consecutive games! Not bad considering he hasn't been fantastic over the past few years.

And why not drop McPhee? At least Johnson kicked a few goals two games ago.

And don't give me the crap about "Campo is in instead of Houli for experience". We need players who will give it their all and put their body on the line when required. And quick players too. Plus there is already plenty of experience out there. Disgraceful.
Anyway, Monfries probably should have been dropped again, may yet happen I suppose.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

The final team is:
ESSENDON
B: Lovett-Murray, Ryder, Fletcher
HB: McPhee, Michael, Reimers
C: Slattery, McVeigh, Monfries
HF: Lucas, Gumbleton, Lovett
F: Nash, Lloyd, Welsh
FOLL: Laycock, Stanton, Winderlich
I/C:, Dyson, Hille, Peverill, Watson
EM: Johns, Ramanauskas, Camporeale
IN: Dyson, Gumbleton, Reimers
OUT: M.Johnson, Johns, Ramanauskas

Rama has gone over, just in case someone gets injured. Possibly Stanton might not come up, has the sniffles apparently.

Ryder on pavlich? Wouldnt mind seeing that, though he may be better suited to Tarrant.

Dempsey and Jetta to play in the 2's this week which is good to see.
Last edited by Rossoneri on Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

IN: Dyson, Gumbleton, Reimers
OUT: M.Johnson, Johns, Ramanauskas

Wise.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

I'd be quite happy for Campo to be in - when fit he's a quality player and I'm tired of people here saying otherwise. He may not be our quickest, but that doesn't make him our worst! And frankly I think he'd do better as a half forward than Monfries would.

Not unhappy about MJ getting the boot, but if it were a choice Monfries should have gone first, he's done zilch for us this year, can't think of a single game he's been any more than a contributor, certainly not one of our best, and there has been plenty where he's given us nothing.

Seems to me we've given up on finals. This isn't a seriously best possible finals aspirational team, I mean, and no disrespect to the guy, but why would you choose Gumby? He showed not very much in his first outing and there are more experienced and better qualified players at Bendigo, especially considering Subi favours running types. I'm all for blooding young guys, but when you're aiming for a finals spot you gotta go with experience when the youth doesn't offer anything extra.

For mine, I'd have Campo and CJ in and Gumby and Monfries out of the named team.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

any injuries that may have forced MJ out?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Will be there with BELLS ON.After I pinch it from that Dockers' fellanear where I usually sit when rostered on.

Gate 2 entrance.Anyone who goes to Subi will figure that one out.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Will Gumbleton be a little squeezed out by Lucas and LLoyd?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Windy_Hill wrote:Will Gumbleton be a little squeezed out by Lucas and LLoyd?
Gumbleton will be used to stretch the Dockers defence no doubt.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Niot a bad idea, just need to get the bloody ball in there accurately for that to work at all.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
An attempt to drag a Pavlich or similar from the forward line into Defence? Of course, it means we need to get first use of the ball on a regular basis and use it well to hit targets up forward, otherwise it's pointless.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant