The Tough Decisions

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

The Tough Decisions

Post by BenDoolan »

I think at the end of this season, the new coaching staff will have to evaluate and make tough decisions concerning our midfield stocks. This isn't easy for me to say as I have enormous respect for most of the players I am about to mention. They have been oustanding servants of the EFC and fantastic clubmen. But the EFC have to address our deficiencies, and it may have to consider the future of the following;

Mark Johnson - I think he has something to offer, perhaps up forward. Although he has been disappointing the last 2 years.
Adam Ramanauskas - Great story. An absolute inspiration. But is the game just beyond him? Personally I'd keep him on, but is sentiment getting in the way?
Damien Peverill - Has been an excellent contributor this year. But I think he has too many limitations and deficiencies for our future plans.
Jason Johnson - Great clubman and servant. His days in the middle are over. He isn't a good kick for goal, so his place on the list is in jeopardy.
Chris Heffernan - Career will be over.
Scott Camporeale - Should not receive another contract if we want to build a quick and youthful midfield.

The nucleus of the midfield rests with Jobe Watson, Jason Winderlich, Leroy Jetta, Courtnay Dempsey, Brent Stanton, Angus Monfries, Tom Hislop and Bachar Houli. There are the pinch hitters who could help the midfield like McVeigh, Jay Nash, Ricky Dyson and Andy Lovett.

Skating on thin ice are our ruckmen. They have been good in patches. But they have been disappointments on more occasions. Next year is their crunch year IMO. Lift another cog or else.

It's going to be a very interesting time on list management. One would think that Bolton & Cole will be given their marching orders, plus those I've mentioned above are under scrutiny. I would think in light of that, Bradley and Johns will be given another chance as they wouldn't be able to delist too many.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

I agree with what you say BD & that JJ, MJ, Campo Heff & Pev should all go.

I would keep Rama as a depth player in the ressies to fill the role that blokes like Heff, Blumfield etc did in their final years at the club. He may get his turn of pace back next year after a full pre-season. Time will tell.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I believe Laycock efforts have been extremely creditable. Hille isnt having as good a season as expected. Since Laycock has got some semblance of fitness he has been the better of the two. Its my belief they both can be fine ruckman. These guys take a long time to develop.

I have to agree with most of your thoughts on the midfield. With Rama its hard to assess how much of his performance is being stymied by not playing at this level for so long. Perhaps with a full pre-season he will be back to his old self. As for Peverill - he needs to be simply used as a tagger in the ilk of Cameron Ling.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Essendon needs to go all out to recruit a star 22-25 yr old midfielder and ruckman

The question is who and how do you get them.

I would think that the only way we will get them is to cough up some talen and our first and second round draft picks.

We dont need more kids and this year's draft is expected to be light on anyway.

I would be thinking that we need to look at letting all of the above go plus I would throw in David Hille if we get a good ruckman in return.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

Windy_Hill wrote:Essendon needs to go all out to recruit a star 22-25 yr old midfielder and ruckman

I would think that the only way we will get them is to cough up some talen and our first and second round draft picks.

I would be thinking that we need to look at letting all of the above go plus I would throw in David Hille if we get a good ruckman in return.
I particularly agree with getting an experienced mid fielder, I don't think our rucks are that bad, quite often yesterday our ruck got the hit out, but not to advantage, is that due to poor rucking, or poor positioning of our mid fielders? I suspect the latter
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Iknow your post was about the midfield BD - but what are your thoughts on McPhee?

For me he is as much a liability to our side as anyone else on the list.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Ok, well that time of the year has come when we all start talking about next year.
Seriously, I believe we have a team that can take us places with a few minor adjustments.

GONE

Bolton
Campo
Cole
Heffernan
Hird

NOT SURE

JJ
MJ
McPhee
Pev

Watching Essendon it is clear to see that we really dont have a number one game plan, from week to week (even quarter by quarter) the way we play is as different as heaven and earth. Its shocking! It shits me to tears! The staff really need to figure out where this team is going and how they want to go about it. Our best is awesome (Games against Syd, WCE, 1st QTR against Melb, 1st QTR against Freo) and our worse is absolutely SHITHOUSE!

B: Slattery Michael Hislop
HB: Nash Ryder Fletcher
C: Lovett Watson Winderlich
HF: Lucas Gumby Welsh
F: Monfries Lloyd Davey
Foll: Laycock McVeigh Stanton

Int: Hille, Houli, Jetta, Dyson

Emerg: Dempsey, Rama, Pev

We need to give the guys on the team specific roles! That may not be the best team we could possibly field, but atleast everyone on their could do their job!

Hislop and Slats would tag the small fowards, throw their bodies around, and make sure that the opposition forward line are going to be most likely crunched when they get the ball. Teams dont fear us like they once did. While Michael takes care of the Power forwards, and Ryder just continues to improve under the guidance of Mal and Fletch.

Nash and Fletch can provide the run off the HB line. Fletch with his penetrating kick, and Nash with his excellent disposal and decision making. All good teams create their goals from the backline.

Lovett and Winders have the pace we really need! They could be the running link between the back and our Forward 50. We looked great against Freo in the first QTR when we were willing to play on at every chance we got, and by breaking the lines it doesnt give the opposition time to setup.

While we have Lucas and Lloyd in the team, Gumby should be used kind of like Tarrant, and Hansen are used. They might not be the best players, but they run all day, and provide a target in the middle of the ground, while Lucas plays in and around our 50. While Welsh is our tagging HFF.

Monfries is a great talent, and we need to utilise him properly. I'd say we play him as a crumbing forward, and changing onto the ball. He can provide a marking option if need be, but otherwise where-ever Lloyd goes (Inside our 50!!!), he should be at his feet, along with Davey, ready to pounce on any loose ball. Monfries and Davey are both great at providing pressure, and thats sorely what we have missed in the last 5 weeks in our forward 50.

Laycock is looking good, with another preseason I'm sure he will become our number 1 ruckman, with Hille to provide some much needed assistance off the bench. With McVeigh, Stants and Watson at their feet, there is no doubt we can find enough of the footy, with Houli, Jetta and Dyson to provide some added spice to our midfield and forward line off the bench.

I dont believe our midfield is in as much trouble as everyone in the media seems to think. We have a ball magnet in Watson and Stants, and we have the legs of Houli, Jetta, Winders, Lovett, etc. Maybe all we are missing is that #5 factor, someone that can lead from the front. But like some have mentioned, he may already be playing for us....Jobe Watson.

Our main priority this year at the draft should be a RUCKMAN. If Hille or Laycock goes down, we dont have anyone to help out. We can't use Ryder, because that stuffs up our backline structure, and Keps, well who knows whats happening with him. 5 goals on the weekend for Bendigo, but there is no room in our forward line for him, and he definetly isn't a backman!

Well yeh, I had a bit of time to fill in so I just provided my thoughts on the team, and what I believe could work.

Thoughts?
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Windy_Hill wrote:Essendon needs to go all out to recruit a star 22-25 yr old midfielder and ruckman

Is Charman still thinking about leaving the Lions? He would be great!

Moloney from Melbourne might be alright to look at. Is about 22-25, but has been injury riddled this year I think.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

sconsey wrote: Is Charman still thinking about leaving the Lions? He would be great!
No.

Ryder will be an absolute star of a ruckman and Laycock is a more than handy back-up.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:Iknow your post was about the midfield BD - but what are your thoughts on McPhee?

3 seasons of mediocrity since his B & F. One would allow him some concessions for his OP in 2005 / 06. He has played better, but far from his capabilities this year. I wouldn't cut him just yet. He has a good pair of hands, can run and present. All that needs to follow now is his decision making.....

He's turning 25 in October. Give him another year.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Iknow your post was about the midfield BD - but what are your thoughts on McPhee?

3 seasons of mediocrity since his B & F. One would allow him some concessions for his OP in 2005 / 06. He has played better, but far from his capabilities this year. I wouldn't cut him just yet. He has a good pair of hands, can run and present. All that needs to follow now is his decision making.....

Agree, McPhee has at least shown he can play - there are plenty who have been around long enough who havent done that.

McPhee strikes me as a player who could really respond to a new coach. Remember the impact he had in his first 2 years at Essendon under a new system.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Agree, McPhee has at least shown he can play - there are plenty who have been around long enough who havent done that.

McPhee strikes me as a player who could really respond to a new coach. Remember the impact he had in his first 2 years at Essendon under a new system.
Plus we know what he is capable of, and I don't think he's completely lost it. You're right, next year he could just have a blinder.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I dont believe our midfield is in as much trouble as everyone in the media seems to think. We have a ball magnet in Watson and Stants, and we have the legs of Houli, Jetta, Winders, Lovett, etc. Maybe all we are missing is that #5 factor, someone that can lead from the front. But like some have mentioned, he may already be playing for us....Jobe Watson.
Our midfield is in a lot of trouble.

1. We don't have a midfielder who would get in the midfields of any of the last five premiership teams.

2. With the possible exception of Watson and very, very hesitantly, Staton, we don't have a midfielder that would crack a game in any of the top eight teams (I don't count McVeigh as a midfielder).

3. Of our midfielders who have played between 3-4 years, I can't see any that could change a game off their own boot.

4. Our established midfielders are slow and lack skill
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Filthy wrote:And no good having 2 ruckmen who appear a bit soft (looking at the other ruckman before jumping....Simon never did that) getting the hit outs if they hit the opposition on the chest constantly.

Place needs to de-Sheedyfied from the football department down. :evil:

And yes I am f.cking angry.....the EFC has never appeared as soft as I have seen since the 70's as the last 2 weeks.
The thing with ruckmen these days is that they're not allowed to have the run up that Madden had. Half the time they're standing around like the proverbial stale bottle while waiting for the ball to come back down to earth...so they look at each other to try and figure out what the other is going to try

As for the 70's quote, I said to my daughter yesterday that it was the worst performance I had witnessed for at least 30 years (the '70s)

Might be the only game I get to this year (unless I can somehow scrounge a ticket to round 22) and they served up that shit :evil: :evil:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Do you guys think the Bulldogs woudl give away one of their small bodied, runners or a hard bodied, experianced Damien Peverill?

I think Mark Johnson still has value as we need a physical presence in the team.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Dyson as trade bait? Anyone? Anyone?

We need some hard, in and under types. I like Ricky but reckon he might have some currency elsewhere.

:|
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

McPhee had one good year, floating across the half back line. Since then shit... I watched him yesterday and it only confirms what I had already thought on TV.

He like Lovett had a great year and read the press about it, next thing your reading him going to the coach wanting to take a position and James Hird's old role. He was a mediocre player when he came to us who ended up flattered by the team he played in that year along with the role he served for the team, offers sweet f*** all when the chips are down and you need a player to step up...
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Apropos David Hille, he's had a reasonable season, is still capable of getting a fair bit of it around the ground but the thing about him this year is that he has stopped kicking goals. He used to good for at least one goal a game (average)sometimes 2 or 3 in prior seasons but not this year...Why, I don't know but again I suspect it may have something to do with coaching/game plan.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

pevfan wrote:Apropos David Hille, he's had a reasonable season, is still capable of getting a fair bit of it around the ground but the thing about him this year is that he has stopped kicking goals. He used to good for at least one goal a game (average)sometimes 2 or 3 in prior seasons but not this year...Why, I don't know but again I suspect it may have something to do with coaching/game plan.
He kicked a rip snorter yesterday though...best goal we kicked all day imo
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

David Hille is the sort of player who's talent always seems to be 'just around the corner'. Tantalising but never quite there.

I say we move him on and look for a proven, winning ruckman.