Gumby

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He is very quick. Moves well and has that beautiful one touch grab!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

yeah, agree filth - he looked ok

johns/gumby to replace lloyd/lucas in 4 years
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Tackles well too which was impressive. It's not everyday you see a big man willing to chase and tackle which was nice.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He looked quite good at times, he took a nice mark in the last quarter when the pressure was on, hopefully he can keep his spot and become a regular senior player.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I notice you said he looked fast, i thought he looked a tad too slow for mine.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Great game from Gumby. Hope he gets given more chances to prove why we picked him up.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Didn't get a lot of touches but showed some very good signs, including a great tackle that resulted in a goal. Although he looks a little on the light side, hope he doesn't bulk up TOO much. This can stuff up players - look at Bradley!
stonersmate
Top Up Player

Post by stonersmate »

Seen him play a few times for Peel in W.A. Great set of hands, agile, pretty good kick, just needs to bulk up a bit i reckon.
red n black til i die
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

tonysoprano wrote:yeah, agree filth - he looked ok

johns/gumby to replace lloyd/lucas in 4 years
I don't think Johns will be there in 4 years and if so he wont be playing forward.

He's not very quick at all...but give him time. Same with bulk.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

I was watching the replay last night, between flicking through the lamest show on TV (NEXT) Dont even know why i bothered watching it, and Also, LAter with Jools (Good old Pearly Jam were on there) Anyways, i don't think Gumby was that slow. I saw him chasing Edwards out of the backline. Edwards didnt seem to gain any leverage on him. For a guy that is 197cm, thats a pretty good effort.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

sconsey wrote:I was watching the replay last night, between flicking through the lamest show on TV (NEXT) Dont even know why i bothered watching it, and Also, LAter with Jools (Good old Pearly Jam were on there) Anyways, i don't think Gumby was that slow. I saw him chasing Edwards out of the backline. Edwards didnt seem to gain any leverage on him. For a guy that is 197cm, thats a pretty good effort.
He was slower then Perrie, and I dont think that perrie is faster than Edwards.

(Either that or he doesnt like to chase which is an even bigger problem than not being quick)

PS. A guy with the footy is always going to be slower than they guy without it.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Gossy7 wrote:I notice you said he looked fast, i thought he looked a tad too slow for mine.
I'm with you, Gossy.

The way he was moving reminded me of how Ryder looked last year. Hopefully with another pre-season under his belt he will make similar improvements in legspeed and endurance.

I was p*ssed off with the crap delivery to Gumby, particularly early in the game when it would have done his confidence no end of good to get a few passes 'laces out'
Bleeding for the red and black
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

nomolos wrote:PS. A guy with the footy is always going to be slower than they guy without it.
So Bradley would be able to chase down Davey with the footy?

I don't think having the footy it going to slow a player down as much as in basketball where you have to keep bouncing the ball, or netball where you are not allowed to move with it.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Gossy7 wrote:I notice you said he looked fast, i thought he looked a tad too slow for mine.
Yeah i was at the game and i thought the same thing. He did some nice things and presented well so thats a start at least. I doubt that Johns will be a key forward of the future though.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I am big kev excited. Yesterday really showed some ability, especially when we were flat. Worked his arse off all day.

The brilliant split second thinking to get that goal really capped it off.

We have something very special here.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Sismis wrote:I am big kev excited. Yesterday really showed some ability, especially when we were flat. Worked his arse off all day.

Dare I say, we might have found a new Carey? Once he bulks up this kid could be anything. We haven't had a pack marker in our forward line for years. And he kicks straight too, something that blokes like Rocca, Richo, Lynch & ocassionally, Scotty lack.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

CameronClayton wrote:
Sismis wrote:I am big kev excited. Yesterday really showed some ability, especially when we were flat. Worked his arse off all day.

Dare I say, we might have found a new Carey? Once he bulks up this kid could be anything. We haven't had a pack marker in our forward line for years. And he kicks straight too, something that blokes like Rocca, Richo, Lynch & ocassionally, Scotty lack.
He's played two games. Love the enthusiasm but ease up boys.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

yer, he looks like the number 2 draft pick alright, I am glad we got him.

although with daniher hopefully coming across this year, I would like too see the club lay its hands on the best midfielder in the country one year.

We skipped on Selwood(didn't have a crack at Gibbs obviously), I hope next year we have a chance at someone with talent and speed.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Staggy wrote:
CameronClayton wrote:

He's played two games. Love the enthusiasm but ease up boys.
I think that is one of the more exciting aspects. His improvement in the 2 games he's played, as his confidence grows. But it wan't just his skills it was his attitude. It was never say die all day.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Great leads he made yesterday has good hands was wrapped with him yesterday. Also Jay Nash and Reimers were great. Good signs for the future.