Haw v PA

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Haw v PA

Post by Lloyd is King »

Incredible win to Port.

The massively underrated Brett Ebert between 3 guys taller than him, marked with 20 seconds to play, put the Port in front. Port win by 5 pts and hurt Hawthorn's Top 2 aspirations.

Goldspink made an umpiring decision that may be classified as amongst the worst this decade. Mitchell was running off half back, was in the center of the ground, kicked to the boundary, Goldspank paid deliberate. Deliberate. Incredible.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Might want to watch the replay of that mark and work out how Motlop took Campbell Brown out of the contest. Seems like another hands in the back (non) decision.

These umpires are f****** useless.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Goldy hates the Hawks. Remember the first quarter of the 2001 PF when he absolutely crucified them?

Incredible finish.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

My tipping this weekend has been sh!te.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

F111 wrote:My tipping this weekend has been sh!te.
Your not the only one mate!! I thought the Hawks had it won when they were up by 15 points in the last.

Are Port a genuine threat this season??
Lloyd is King
Champion of Essendon

Post by Lloyd is King »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Your not the only one mate!! I thought the Hawks had it won when they were up by 15 points in the last.

Jordan Lewis' miss with 4 mins to go cost them Top 2 I reckon.

Port are good but not premierships. Geelong will destroy them next week.

I've tipped 4 so far this week, so hopefully the Crows get up and I'll get my average of 5.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Deliberate out of bounds was the right call against Mitchell. The ball went 50m forward and 30m sideways and no Hawks players was within cooee of the kick. Harsh, but correct, call. And contrary to what the commentators said at the time, there's no such defence to deliberate out of bounds as the "what else was he supposed to do" defence.

The big non-decision is the one Ross has alluded to - Motlop got in the back of Brown in the final marking contest where Ebert took the mark. There was definitely a free in that.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Lloyd is King wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:

Jordan Lewis' miss with 4 mins to go cost them Top 2 I reckon.

Port are good but not premierships. Geelong will destroy them next week.

I've tipped 4 so far this week, so hopefully the Crows get up and I'll get my average of 5.
Loved Parkin's comment when Lewis missed.

"well its an imporant point, it is almost worth a goal"

Moron, if he had have kicked it, they would have been two goals up rather than 7 points, and come out with a draw.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:And contrary to what the commentators said at the time, there's no such defence to deliberate out of bounds as the "what else was he supposed to do" defence.
I could have sworn that you were allowed to kick it deliberately out of bounds if there was absolutely no other option but to turn it over to the opposition. That's always the way that I have understood the rule...
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

What about when the Port player (Wilson) went for the points and it hit the point post. That is deliberate, but again, it wasnt paid.

Poor umpiring for the second half of the game, bloody pathetic.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:And contrary to what the commentators said at the time, there's no such defence to deliberate out of bounds as the "what else was he supposed to do" defence.
I could have sworn that you were allowed to kick it deliberately out of bounds if there was absolutely no other option but to turn it over to the opposition. That's always the way that I have understood the rule...
No. See Rule 15.6.1(c):

http://www.aflpa.com.au/media/2007%20La ... 20game.pdf

The "what else was he supposed to do/he had not other option" defence is commentator bullshit, i'm afraid.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I thought that it was a matter of interpretation though? Much the way that the rules only mention a 'push' in the back (rather than hands in the back).

I know the "what the f**k else was i supposed to do" defence isn't in the written rules, but I could have sworn it was a common interpretation.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:I thought that it was a matter of interpretation though? Much the way that the rules only mention a 'push' in the back (rather than hands in the back).

I know the "what the f**k else was i supposed to do" defence isn't in the written rules, but I could have sworn it was a common interpretation.
I'm not familiar with it. The rule punishes intent to put the ball out of play, regardless of circumstances.

When the umpires are miked up, pay a free kick for deliberate OOB and you hear the player whinge along the lines of "what else was i supposed to do!?", the general response from the umpire is "not my problem".
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Rossoneri wrote:What about when the Port player (Wilson) went for the points and it hit the point post. That is deliberate, but again, it wasnt paid.
Poor umpiring for the second half of the game, bloody pathetic.
It is, the exact same thing happened to Hille, if i can remember correctly, in the West Coast game. Hille went to punch the ball through the points and a free kick was awarded. Everyone knows that it is a free kick, so why was it not paid
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Tipped the Hawks. Thought they were a shoe in. But I spose what can you do when the last kick of the game decides it? Can't tip that.