LLOYD

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Fraz
Top Up Player

Post by Fraz »

azza78 wrote:I don't think there's too many people questioning Lloyd's output as such, more questioning the way he goes about it. The diving, pouting, arguing with umpires and overall 'soft' play is disappointing, especially as he's the captain.
Just one example but did he pout or argue after his goal last week was disallowed after a non-existent hands in the back? No. See Fevola for pouting and sooking.
Would also like to add that a lot of people think that every time he goes to ground he is diving. Not saying he never does it (every player does) but you try running full pelt with a guy weighing somewhere between 80-100kg right behind you, attempting to spoil the ball and see if you keep your feet.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Hold on Fraz, he has pouted and sooked and he does look to the umpire for free kicks lately. I didnt see the Freo game so I wont comment on that particular incident.

When Lloyd is looking for free kicks, to me, that shows he is out of form.

However..........

When you out-of-form forward will probably end up kicking 60 goals in a year in which the team plays bad and he has just come back from a career threatening injury, it makes you wonder how good he will be next year.

Remember, this is basically his first year as captain on the field, he needs time to adjust to that.

I wouldnt mind backing Lloyd to kick 90+ next year if the midfield improves slightly.
Fraz
Top Up Player

Post by Fraz »

Fair enough Rossoneri. However, I don't think he's in the Fev or Richo mold.

I'm using examples from last week since they're obviously the freshest in my memory but there was one incident where he went for a mark, missed it, went to ground and here I was thinking "OK, get up Lloydy" and what do you know, he does get up and lays two crunching tackles in a row.

On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago (I think it was against the Crows) there was a instance where he stopped running to look at the ump and that obviously isn't on.

However, I don't think the moment a player looks at an umpire he is pleading for a free kick. As soon as Lloyd looks at an umpire because there was a whistle blown or the ump said something, people (mainly opposition supporters) bleat "Oh, he's pleading for a free kick!" etc. Drives me nuts!

As andrew put it, numerous people want another Hird but let's face it, that ain't gonna' happen for a loooong time!
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

How many years is it now?Four or five?Something like that anyway- the yearly bagging of Lloyd for one thing or another.The latest because he was made captain.
Jesus can we dig up dear old King Richard he must have been perfect.
While their is one nominated captain a decent team needs a few more.Can only think of one and that's guess who.
Certainly not Fletcher,Lucas,Hill,McPhee,Johnson and Johnson etc. etc.None.
The bloke has his faults, minor by average player standards but doesn't deserve the constant carping he gets all the time.
And remember he's taken over a team near the bottom of the ladder name the last Essendon player to do that.
Yeah I can't either.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Rover 7 wrote:How many years is it now?Four or five?Something like that anyway- the yearly bagging of Lloyd for one thing or another.The latest because he was made captain.
Jesus can we dig up dear old King Richard he must have been perfect.
While their is one nominated captain a decent team needs a few more.Can only think of one and that's guess who.
Certainly not Fletcher,Lucas,Hill,McPhee,Johnson and Johnson etc. etc.None.
The bloke has his faults, minor by average player standards but doesn't deserve the constant carping he gets all the time.
And remember he's taken over a team near the bottom of the ladder name the last Essendon player to do that.
Yeah I can't either.
James Hird, after the disaster that was 1997.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Fraz wrote:Fair enough Rossoneri. However, I don't think he's in the Fev or Richo mold.

I'm using examples from last week since they're obviously the freshest in my memory but there was one incident where he went for a mark, missed it, went to ground and here I was thinking "OK, get up Lloydy" and what do you know, he does get up and lays two crunching tackles in a row.

On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago (I think it was against the Crows) there was a instance where he stopped running to look at the ump and that obviously isn't on.

However, I don't think the moment a player looks at an umpire he is pleading for a free kick. As soon as Lloyd looks at an umpire because there was a whistle blown or the ump said something, people (mainly opposition supporters) bleat "Oh, he's pleading for a free kick!" etc. Drives me nuts!

As andrew put it, numerous people want another Hird but let's face it, that ain't gonna' happen for a loooong time!
When I read the first line, I was like "put down the bong, he is far better than them two". Then I realised you were talking about the dummy spits.

You are spot on, but this year, he has been whinging to the umps more than normal. I just prefer Lloyd to take the mark and if he doesnt, try and win it at the ground (as what apparently he did against Freo)

And Dom, in 1998, Hird missed a fair chunk of that season as well through injury.
stonersmate
Top Up Player

Post by stonersmate »

f***** gun. awesome game today, 6 goals, missed an easy one. and had two marks inside fifty that were dissallowed. great effort.
red n black til i die
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Good on him. Has copped a bit of criticism (some of it warranted) this year but has shown just how good a player and leader he can be when he's focused and switched on.

I dip my lid. Quality players (and people) respond when challenged and he has done just that.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

azza78 wrote:Good on him. Has copped a bit of criticism (some of it warranted) this year but has shown just how good a player and leader he can be when he's focused and switched on.

I dip my lid. Quality players (and people) respond when challenged and he has done just that.
Yep, spot on. He was exceptional today. Just about a perfect display.....but for that clincher at the end. Just needed to slot that one and it would have been BOG for me.

Can someone enlighten me as to why one of his great marks was disallowed? I failed to see where there was an infringement, even when they showed the replay. It's the one where he flew over the pack....
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I think the infringement was paid against Slattery, rather than against Lloyd (but I'd have to see the replay again to be sure).
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I really thought he was going to break his neck. Looked like a complete somersault in mid air.

Degree of difficulty, 9.5

I really believe in years gone by, Umpires like Dellar, Sawyers and Cameron would have ignored the free and paid such a courageous and spectacular mark.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Slattery to hands square in the blokes back. I didn't even see the mark I was to busy spewing about Slattery's stupid move.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

rockhole wrote:I really thought he was going to break his neck. Looked like a complete somersault in mid air.

Degree of difficulty, 9.5

I really believe in years gone by, Umpires like Dellar, Sawyers and Cameron would have ignored the free and paid such a courageous and spectacular mark.
This is why people go to the footy!

Stupid infringements like someone not in a contest who puts hands in the back when another player is doing the near impossible should really be ignored when it's of no consequence.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

If it'd been Fev taking that mark would we feel the same way? One wonders.....
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

For what its worth, I personally think a figure like Hird should never have stepped down as skipper until his retirement.

He is still the best player and inspiration.

Lloyd, to be fair, has had to fill some pretty big shoes, made doubly difficult by thefact that his legendary predecessor is still playing in the same team.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Lloyd, to be fair, has had to fill some pretty big shoes, made doubly difficult by thefact that his legendary predecessor is still playing in the same team.
This must be a factor. The effect of his continued presence on Lloyd's captaincy is only known by Lloyd and he'd find it very difficult to quantify.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

lloydy was fantastic on the weekend don't ya think?

i have him when on form in the top 3 power forwards in the game.(key is when in form).

and damn does he take a great mark.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

tom9779 wrote:lloydy was fantastic on the weekend don't ya think?

i have him when on form in the top 3 power forwards in the game.(key is when in form).

and damn does he take a great mark.
I think!

At his best he's outstanding. When he backs himself, puts in the effort, he's an awesome mark. And when he's on his game, he's a mighty fine kick too. I really hope a new coach says "skipper, you're the FF, stay in the square" and directs the forwards to kick to him if he's in the box seat. I want to see the return of a 100-goal player and I really hope it's one M.Lloyd.

Very disappointed yesterday when he came crashing through, taking the mark, only to have the ball taken off him. I don't care what "rules" (which as we all know most are just a joke) he may have "broken" - it was a pretty courageous effort and what makes football WORTH WATCHING. How dare the maggot take it away. :evil:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Hopefully Saturday woke him up to the fact that he can still lead the team and inspire them inside the forward 50. He doesnt have to come out and get piss ant kicks that do nothing, he just needs to take the marks or do a 2nd effort.
I'd rather him have 10 kicks and 10 marks in the forward 50 than 20 kicks and 15 marks up the field.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

That mark he took was so good. Would have been up there for mark of the year. And it was right in front of us!

And I'm pretty sure it was hands in the back against Slattery that cost him the car.

2nd time that's happened this year, after McPhee took an awesome mark against Freo in round 2, but Stanton gave away a free.
Rossoneri wrote:Hopefully Saturday woke him up to the fact that he can still lead the team and inspire them inside the forward 50. He doesnt have to come out and get piss ant kicks that do nothing, he just needs to take the marks or do a 2nd effort.
I'd rather him have 10 kicks and 10 marks in the forward 50 than 20 kicks and 15 marks up the field.
Indeed.

I thought that he started pushing up the ground early this week, but after quarter time kept pretty much to the forward 50, except at the end when it really counted.

For some stupid reason in the last 5 minutes, Laycock was in the goal square and Lloyd about 50m out. Gumby was pushing right up the ground despite having a defender who was a full head shorter than he was. Poor move from Sheeds, but doesn't really matter because we won!
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.