Tanks Carlton. Tank you very much.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:Like I said, tanking comes from the coaches, not the players. Just simple moves that cost you a game (like leaving Bradley on Richardson all game)
What coaching move did Ratten make that indicated he was tanking?
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

i'm not sure whether carlton are tanking or not - but if so why is it called tanking? if the pakistan cricket team did it, it would be called match fixing.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Despite them getting a jump, I didn't feel too disappointed or concerned like I was against say West Coast. When we kicked those few goals in the 3rd quarter to get within a kick, the smug grin on my face grew broader. Couldn't help but start a chant of "tanking" a few times. Pity no-one else went with it. ;)

Tanks Scum, indeed. ;)
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Look at the Carlton players when Fisher kicked his 4th. About 10 of them got over to them and they were pumped. The Carlton players were also very disappointed after the match, they all slumped to the ground as soon as the siren went.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

robrulz5 wrote:Look at the Carlton players when Fisher kicked his 4th. About 10 of them got over to them and they were pumped. The Carlton players were also very disappointed after the match, they all slumped to the ground as soon as the siren went.
But is it all just a show?? After watching a few Grand Final videos, how the losing team reacts, would it really be hard to learn how to act after a defeat?

Tanking or not, I'm almost 100% convinced they are, they definitely have losing down to a fine art particularly when they've been in a winnable (or close to it) position.

I don't think I'll be 100% convinced next week. The Kangaroos are genuinely better and showed a lot of fight against the Puddy Tats today, I can't see them losing to the scum. It's going to come down to Round 22. They SHOULD beat Melbourne - so, if they do lose, it'll be signed, sealed and delivered. 2007's best tankers award will definitely be headed to Princes Park.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Seriously? You think they planned it from the frist bounce to the aftermath on how to tank?

"Ok boys, lets get a run on these guys, then slowly let them back in it. Now, you guys all know how to act when we lose right?"
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:Seriously? You think they planned it from the frist bounce to the aftermath on how to tank?

"Ok boys, lets get a run on these guys, then slowly let them back in it. Now, you guys all know how to act when we lose right?"
Yep
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Essendon4eva wrote:Seriously? You think they planned it from the frist bounce to the aftermath on how to tank?

It does sound stupid, of course. But who really knows what goes on behind closed doors? Who says what to who when no-one is listening? In reality, it may not be as stupid as it sounds.

I just think we did it a little TOO easily. It pains me to say it, but the scum do play some pretty good football. They were close to the filth, they were close to Port Adelaide - overrun by better teams? ran out of steam? or tanking? For the past 2 weeks it's probably the first two that are more obvious, but yesterday made the latter a bit more obvious.

Overrun by a better team? Debateable, certainly not in the first half.
Ran out of steam? Maybe, although doubtful considering they did continue to press even after we'd hit the front.
Tanking? Yes, we play some pretty good footy at our best, but so do the scum and certainly, on form of both sides, they should have won.

I dunno, just raises an eyebrow.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Diffenatly, but if Essendon making teh comeback lok easy means Carlton pssibly tanked, then it means Carlton must have done the same thing but in the first half against us early in the season?

I just think Essendon's is at a time in their development where they cannot play at their best for every minute like a Geelong or West Coast can.

I doubt the players tanked, but now, at the selection table certain decision will be made. I mean, when Carlton lost to Collingwood and took Fev off. If that was a prelim, Fevola would have played through it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Look, it really is simple.

R16 Carlton were anihilated by 117 points because they couldn't be stuffed playing under Pagan anymore. Pagan was sacked and Ratten was made caretaker. Since then they have played 4 games where they were all in winning positions and they ended up losing in the last quarter. They are showing their fans that they have the talent, but realise that winning another game will result in them losing their priority draft pick. There is simply NO incentive for them to win. They will also lose their last two games.

Although I'm hoping Melbourne tank so much that they somehow make Carlton win.
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

BenDoolan wrote:There is simply NO incentive for them to win. They will also lose their last two games.
Yep. Next week they'll just lose as they should against a better team. Will look like nothing.
Although I'm hoping Melbourne tank so much that they somehow make Carlton win.
I'm half tempted to tip Carlton. Will take a fair bit of effort to tank that one. ;)
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

No incentive? Maybe to earn their spot on the list next season? There are alot of older guys who might have to play very well to earn a spot in the future of that team.
Pride is another one. Any sportsperson who doens't have pride in their performances and win/lose ratio shouldn't be playing sport.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:No incentive? Maybe to earn their spot on the list next season? There are alot of older guys who might have to play very well to earn a spot in the future of that team.
Pride is another one. Any sportsperson who doens't have pride in their performances and win/lose ratio shouldn't be playing sport.
What incentive do they have in LOSING?