Was the build up to much...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Was the build up to much...

Post by Stocksy »

Was the build up and emotion of the day too much for our younger brigade to handle? (not that some of the senior players handled it any better)

As pissed as I am with the performance of several players (majorioty who took the field) I cant help but feel that the emotion, the big stage and the occasion itself was too much for the majority of the group to handle. I am still bitter that a better performance could not be given for two of our greatest servants but it has left me wondering whether the paying group put to much pressure on themselves for a win. Left me wondering with the build up to the game just how many of them actually played the game in there head before they even set foot onto the MCG...

They to me played nervously last night and a lot of them looked spent before quarter time, even the Great Man himself was making uncharacteristic mistakes. As a side they played like a team scared of losing and as each mistake happened there confidence (apart from a few) to take the game on drifted further away.

I cant beleive that there would have been a single player out there not wanting to win that game for Sheeds or Hirdy. I think (and this is only my opinion) that they as a group they put to much pressure back onto thereselves instead of taking the moment for what it was. And by doing that exhausted thereselves mentally well before the first ball was bounced.

Interested on others thoughts on this, especially those that were at the game, TV can be deceiving and my thoughts could be way off...
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

God help them if they ever get into a Grand Final then.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Gotta get used to the big occasion somehow. Though playing in front of 90,000 on ANZAC day should help.

I think the emotion got to James Hird as well, a few mistakes that he normally doesnt make, but thats life.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

The build up was great but for one thing - we forgot that another proud club was coming to play.

Disrespect - its endemic at Windy Hill at the moment.

This team needs to learn the value of respecting your enemy, no matter who they are.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Bit like the sooking prior to the 2001 GF do you reckon?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.