Stanton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
LND
Top Up Player

Stanton

Post by LND »

Prolific ball getter, think he runs hard when we have the ball and is key member of our mid field but,

unsure about his defensive efforts, rarely chases, mans up or tackles

Just my observation
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

His defensive side of his game is a worry.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Agree to an extent, but before you criticise him too much, reel off the list of midfielders under 22 that are better.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Defensive Side of his game - what's that, when he looks at his opponent with a snarl from 50 metres away.
LND
Top Up Player

Post by LND »

not criticising too much, just something he needs to work on
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Yep, no defensive thoughts at all.

I also think he doesn't run to the right spots.

Eg. player has the ball wide at half-back. Stanton leads from the middle of the ground directly at the man. If he receives the kick, he's no more than 10m closer to goal and still fairly wide.
If he led to the wing, even though it's still wide, he could gain 40-50m for the team.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Most overrated player at the club.

WEAKNESSES

1. He is SOFT – there is no way he'd be getting a game under Matthews, Roos or Thompson. Until he is prepared to put his body on the line, he MUST NOT BE PLAYED.

2. He is unaccountable

3. His running does not break the lines and has no penetration

4. His overhead marking is non-existent

5. Does not possess the determination to win at all costs that is prevalent in all GUN players. He had two perfect opportunities to smother the ball against Richmond and shirked the issue in both of them.

STRENGTHS

1. Big engine

2. Kicking is generally good

3. Is still young
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

gringo wrote:Most overrated player at the club.

WEAKNESSES

1. He is SOFT – there is no way he'd be getting a game under Matthews, Roos or Thompson. Until he is prepared to put his body on the line, he MUST NOT BE PLAYED.

2. He is unaccountable

3. His running does not break the lines and has no penetration

4. His overhead marking is non-existent

5. Does not possess the determination to win at all costs that is prevalent in all GUN players. He had two perfect opportunities to smother the ball against Richmond and shirked the issue in both of them.

STRENGTHS

1. Big engine

2. Kicking is generally good

3. Is still young
pretty fair assessment gringo.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I'd have to agree with gringo.

We've gone from being a tough unit that puts its body on the line, gang tackles opponents, hunts in packs, hits the opposition and the ball hard and puts the fear of God into any team it comes across to being one of, if not the softest team going around. We sit off contests, hope for the easy possession, don't chase, don't stick tackles, don't run hard, don't hit opponents hard, don't do any of the things I mentioned above. We generally allow opponents to run down the wing or through the middle unopposed. We don't hold players up on the mark, or make them earn it. We're no longer a predator that intimidates the opposition. We're a laughing stock that teams know can get easy opportunities.

Teams must pull up well after a game against us.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

There must be some reason for Stanton not to be defensive at all. Is his engine as big as everyone suggests?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:I'd have to agree with gringo.

We've gone from being a tough unit that puts its body on the line, gang tackles opponents, hunts in packs, hits the opposition and the ball hard and puts the fear of God into any team it comes across to being one of, if not the softest team going around. We sit off contests, hope for the easy possession, don't chase, don't stick tackles, don't run hard, don't hit opponents hard, don't do any of the things I mentioned above. We generally allow opponents to run down the wing or through the middle unopposed. We don't hold players up on the mark, or make them earn it. We're no longer a predator that intimidates the opposition. We're a laughing stock that teams know can get easy opportunities.

Teams must pull up well after a game against us.
Yep, exactly. And if that is the result of just one bloke - Stanton, I'll be f*****. Chuck the whole tribe under that banner (except for Davey). I seem to hear a few people harping on about Monfries finally in the midfield....where was he this week?
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

My apologies if anyone thinks that I was implying that Stanton is the exlcusive reason for this, and the only exponent. He's just a very good example. We were weak as the proverbial yesterday. It made me want to vomit.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:My apologies if anyone thinks that I was implying that Stanton is the exlcusive reason for this, and the only exponent. He's just a very good example. We were weak as the proverbial yesterday. It made me want to vomit.
I wasn't actually aimimg my comments at you. I used your post to highlight an excellent point, and aimed my comments to someone who keeps posting the same threads on one bloke after a loss. The same poster has blamed Stanton for our 11 losses this year. You have in fact alluded to a wider problem that exists, and that is the point I was making.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Glad I could be of service :D

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Gringo probably had a heart attack and we'll never hear from him again after several people agreed with him. :wink:

I do too BTW.
robrulz5 wrote:There must be some reason for Stanton not to be defensive at all. Is his engine as big as everyone suggests?
I don't think it is. He always looks farked in the last quarter with his socks down. Perhaps he should be spending a bit more time on the bench so he can run out games and actually try to chase.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

I was very disapointed to see him stop running early in the game when richmond got the ball, he could easily have chased and smothered, but as soon as ess lost it he just comes to a stop, almost like in his mind "that is the defenders job not mine".

does he have any trade value?
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

He's not the reason the 17 other blokes on the ground dont chase.

Hille, Lovett, Lloyd, Johnson.

4 names I saw put very little effort in defensive work on the weekend.

1 poor defensively minded person doesnt ruin your team 17 of them do.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

He is one of the guys those. That is the point. If anything Lovett was one guy that did put in against Richmond.

ANd if you only saw those 4 guys not chase, you must not have paid much attention to the game.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Essendon4eva wrote:He is one of the guys those. That is the point. If anything Lovett was one guy that did put in against Richmond.

ANd if you only saw those 4 guys not chase, you must not have paid much attention to the game.
I will agree the Lovett put in on sunday, however he did not put in defensively. He was one of the only reasons other than Hirdy/Dempsey/Nash we did some good attacking things on sunday night, but as far as defensive effort goes Lovett was one of the worst.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Essendon4eva wrote:He is one of the guys those. That is the point. If anything Lovett was one guy that did put in against Richmond.

Your right...I know nothing. Sorry your just so wise please teach me how to identify someone who doesnt run defensively.

:roll: