Questions?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

All excellent questions, Filthy.

A few more I can think of:

Why do we "zone off" a player running with the ball, instead of tackling?

Why do we handball to a player who is NOT in a better position?

Why do we fail to fire up when the occasion demands it?

Why do our young players take so long to develop and/or spend so much time on the bench?

Why can't we hit a target?

Why can't we play on the MCG?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Questions?

Post by robbie67 »

Filthy wrote:What is our Game Plan?

How many de listings do you think we will have? (I am tipping up to 10. Hird (retired), Bolton, Campo, Cole, Heff, Pev, MJ (MCG, Subi finds him out ALL the time), JJ, Dyson (soft), and sadly Rama....his illness killed his career....Bradley unless played at CHF or wing....sentimentality must leave with Sheeds at 5pm next Saturday).
They are not going to de-list Pev. You can forget that straight away. JJ still has a year to run on his contract, so he isnt going anywhere. Dyson wont go either, he is one of about 4 players on our list that has any skill what so ever. Rama will be given at least another year, whoever takes over will want to see what he is capable of, after a full pre-season under his belt. I think a new coach will also give MJ another chance, and may give him a new lease of life. Bolton? I think it will happen every year, and it never fking does, here's hoping. Campo, Cole, Heff, and maybe Lee will be gone. I expect they will try and get a 4th round pick or a fringe player from one of the WA clubs for Bradley.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

These are amongst the many questions that I asked myself after the game.

As for the opposition kick out from defence, can someone please tell me how conceding at least 5 kicks until they reach almost their full forward line is a "zone" defence ? The only "concession" kick should be the first one to the back pocket and even that annoys me. When a point is kicked that SHOULD NOT mean that the other team just run the ball up at will to translate into an attacking move. This is made all the worse by how inaccurately we kick !!!!

Perhaps I should address the list question in terms of who we definitely should keep ;

Alwyn Davey - gun
Courtenay Dempsey - potential gun
Ricky Dyson - new coach will make all the difference
Dustin Fletcher - proven champ
Scott Gumbelton - potential gun
Tom Hislop - not sure
Heath Hocking - not sure
Bachar Houli - potential gun
Leroy Jetta - potential gun
Jason Laycock - needs fitness improvements
Andrew Lee - not sure
Matthew Lloyd - proven champ
Sam Lonergan - not sure
Nathan Lovett-Murray - needs a clear definite role - perhaps forward flank
Scott Lucas - proven champ
Adam McPhee - pretty good ordinary footballer
Mark McVeigh - proven gun - in the middle not negative roles
Angus Monfries - role in middle essential
Jay Nash - role in middle
Jay Neagle - havent seen him enough
Damian Peverill - stopper roles only
Adam Ramanauskas (if fit) - forward flank if he can get back to what we know he is capable of
Kyle Reimers - potential
Patrick Ryder - Centre Half Back
Henry Slattery - good year
Jobe Watson - best in and under player we have
Andrew Welsh - forward line
Jason Winderlich - on the wing

So that means delisting ;

Bolton, JJ, MJ, Bradley, Hille, Lovett, Cole, Heffernan, Johns, Michael and Stanton. With Hird and Campo to retire. Lovett and Stanton might seem harsh but to me they do not go in hard and arent prepared to put their body on the line. As for Hille - his dummy spit about time on ground is deporable considering the poor year he has had. Mark Johnson has been a fantastic player for Essendon but the pace of the game has caught up with him. Ditto for JJ. I hope they both announce their retirements this week. Mal Michael is too slow.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Cant agree on Lovett and Stanton.

You cant have a team of in and unders. You need a few who can run and hit targets. Ok, so lately they havent hit targets, but players who can go and get 25 touches a game in the middle are rare, especially those who kick it forward.

thats mainly Stanton im talking about.

As for Lovett, well his las two weeks have been good. Its good to see when he gets the ball and runs hard with it. The problem is that he cant/wont run hard when he hasnt got the ball. He is more of an X-factor player (burst player) who I think is needed also. Has good skill, though lately, it seems that good skill is a virus that no one at Essendon can catch.
tony coz
On the Rookie List

Post by tony coz »

Its natural to be upset by a loss and questions are asked about players and game plans.
But we forget so quickly....in rounds 10 & 11 we had wins over west coast and the swans...last years grand finalists. I dont think I have got a buzz out of any recent games as much as these....We played with determination and one would think to a game plan to beat those two sides. It was great to see the way we fought out the matches whereas last year (when we won only three matches) we would have been over run.
Sure the new coach will need to say see you later to some players but I dont really think we really are as bad as all the doomsdayers suggest. We have to be carefull who we delist also. We cant rip the heart and soul out of the club.
Have faith. We had a young group in 1993 too.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

MH_Bomber wrote: Perhaps I should address the list question in terms of who we definitely should keep ;

Ricky Dyson - new coach will make all the difference

So that means delisting ;

Stanton.
:shock:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

What is our Game Plan?
Kick sideways, backwards, handpass to blokes standing still and take for god dam ever to get rid of it

Why do we go the flanks instead of the corridor? (the shortest way home is..)
Well last night it was because Richmond parked a player at the top of our 50 most of the night so if we went straight down the middle we'd kick to a 2 on 1 situation. Obviously there are other ways to counter that. As for the rest of the year? Its where people lead to, gotta teach blokes to lead straight up the middle.

Is the lack of a discernible one the reason Sheeds got a DCM?
I'd imagine so.

Why can't we kick straight at goal? (Its a 12 point turn around, because whether its 1st or 16th, they have no problems running the ball down the ground from the kick in to have a shot at goal 5 times out 10.)
Because that makes things far to easy for us on the scoreboard.

Who is our skills coach?
Who cares.

Do we have one?
Bloody well hope not

If so should he be taken out and shot?
To quick and painless

Why do you players pass the ball at the spot of their target rather than 10-15m in front of the target so they can run onto it?
Lack of skill

If our forwards are leading say left, why do they kick it right?
To confuse the opposing defenders. Also confuses the f*** out of the forwards but hey thats ok.

Why do our "midfielders" stand behind their opponents when we are dominating the hitouts?
Not sure we've dominated to much and it may be our blokes are in such a defensive mind set they have forgotten how to go attacking.

One of our future champs did his hammy AGAIN....why?
Ask Quinn.

Apropos of qu 3, why can't we set up a zone at kick ins or if not cerebrally able, at least man up?
This one has me stuffed. The zoning stuff shits me to tears and they just dont seem to back themselves enough to go man on man.

Why do players not have the courage to run to a contest in numbers?
To soft. Bring Archer to Essendon and give him some coaching role.

Does the jumper mean anything to this group?
No

Why is it that Carlscum, Ninthmond, and Collinscum get themselves up and always have a day out against us and then get smashed the next week? (View Carlscum Sat)
Because they hate us so passionatly and want to beat us more then anything else. It'd be a compliment if we could actually beat them reguarly

Should Lloyd be captain? (great player...Captain from the square???)
No. Seems far to pre-occupied with "leading" the side then doing his role.

If not, who?
I would've said Hille but after last night I'd go with Welsh or spike.

Spike? Very impressed with his love of Club and loyalty and respect....and he is in the game most of the time.
Make him captain.

How many de listings do you think we will have? (I am tipping up to 10. Hird (retired), Bolton, Campo, Cole, Heff, Pev, MJ (MCG, Subi finds him out ALL the time), JJ, Dyson (soft), and sadly Rama....his illness killed his career....Bradley unless played at CHF or wing....sentimentality must leave with Sheeds at 5pm next Saturday).
I'd stay with MJ and Dyson.

How many of the current coaching panel will survive the savage reaction to last night that surely must follow?
Wallace. No one else. O'donnell isn't officially a coach is he?

When will our injury curse prevalent since 2001, end?
When Quinn is put out to pasture

Given our early pick in a poor draft, do we trade a player and the pick to try and pick up a YOUNG OOC mid fielder with skill?
Yes. For the love of god yes.

Where is the respect that our players should have or are they in a comfort zone playing for one of the Premier sporting clubs in Oz?
The respect is in Aunt Bessies cake tin and definetly in the comfort zone.

(All is not as bad as it seems for a new Coach coming in. There is an extremely talented core list of blokes there who just need a new voice, with a modern game plan and a modern team of support stuff to enforce a strict training regime, a strict set of game rules with 2-3 Game Plans for match day flexibility and a burning desire to bleed for the red n' black....its not rocket science. :evil: If they don't follow it....theres the door.)
The new coach aint gonna fix everything.

Just helping out Filth. :wink:
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

boncer34 wrote: Too soft. Bring Archer to Essendon and give him some coaching role.
Ooh... I like that idea. He was wearing the essendon jumper the other day, too. Looked a good fit.

Senior coach: Guy McKenna
Assistants: Glenn Archer (backline), Gary O'Donnell (midfield), ??? (forwards)

Training sessions: Players to run away from G O'D. If they get caught, they cop a hit from Archer. We'd be fitter and harder in weeks.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Filthy wrote: Why can't we kick straight at goal? (Its a 12 point turn around, because whether its 1st or 16th, they have no problems running the ball down the ground from the kick in to have a shot at goal 5 times out 10.)

Who is our skills coach?

Do we have one?

If so should he be taken out and shot? Yes

Why do you players pass the ball at the spot of their target rather than 10-15m in front of the target so they can run onto it?

If our forwards are leading say left, why do they kick it right?
Constantly the same problem. Every time the ball came down field, players would kick to where their target was instead of where they will be, which meant it was to the opponent's advantage every time. They also lacked the brain power to realise they needed to carry the ball another 10m or so before they should have considered delivering the ball inside 50. All too often someone would stream through the middle or down the wing and then bomb it from 80 - 90m out and drop a good 10m short of a target which allowed Richmond to clear without any pressure.

We need a thing called a skills coach and another thing called a midfield coach. At the moment we don't have either.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

On the subject I raised on Lovett and Stanton well let me elaborate. Most of those on the de-list list are basically unwanted players. I personally find Lovett to have gone missing for major parts of games and seasons. He has not lived up to the potential displayed on the ANZAC day occasion (2005 ? ) Stanton picks up a lot of possession mainly on the backline and usually the first kick out of defence. I have seen him short stepping when it comes to a contest and there is a great deal of non accuntability about him and Lovett. They might be of value to other sides and we could get decent trades for them. We have Houli, Dempsey, Davey and Jetta who are all potentially better and more effective than these 2. Dyson has been stuffed around severely by selection decisions. He was coming good at the end of last year and then he struggles to get a game. A new coach may be all he needs.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

MH_Bomber wrote:On the subject I raised on Lovett and Stanton well let me elaborate... They might be of value to other sides and we could get decent trades for them. We have Houli, Dempsey, Davey and Jetta who are all potentially better and more effective than these 2. Dyson has been stuffed around severely by selection decisions. He was coming good at the end of last year and then he struggles to get a game. A new coach may be all he needs.
Say it like you mean it.[/b]
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

delist stanton and lovett = Worst call ever.