Forward line

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Forward line

Post by bueller »

I cannot believe how bad our forward line functioned last night.

It appeared one dimensional and i reckon Lloyd did well against 3 defenders most of the night. That coupled with poor delivery made it so difficult to put scoreboard pressure on.

I was v.surprised Lucas wasn't used more up there. We were obviously short down back without Fletcher but surely we couldve addressed that at selection? We couldve brought CJ in or Bradley (not my preferred option) to help out either end.

I think in Sheedy's last game at the G - he made a blue at the selection table...
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sorry, but this shits me. As soon as Kepler Bradley appears on an extended bench or is named as an emergency, almost everyone goes into a rage. So forget him as an option amongst those in here. CJ lol, have you read other opinions about him playing in the backline? Same again.

So the selection panel had a choice of......yep, the guy who once won a B & F playing in that position.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

OK so you were happy with the way our forward line operated?

Do you think Lucas should play in defence when he's kicked over 50 goals for the year?

We've got a list - and we've got options so we can use them when we're short.
It appeared fairly obvious during the game we needed Lucas down there last night to create the extra option.
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bueller wrote:OK so you were happy with the way our forward line operated?

Do you think Lucas should play in defence when he's kicked over 50 goals for the year?

We've got a list - and we've got options so we can use them when we're short.
It appeared fairly obvious during the game we needed Lucas down there last night to create the extra option.
No I'm not happy how our forward line operated. I'm not happy how our midfield and defence operated either. The majority of the team stank of incompetence.

So what of Gumby then? Would you have thrown him down back to cop a hiding? Scott Lucas has performed well at CHB in the past and he has done so again in the last couple of games. As a matter of fact, he has been rather quiet up forward in recent weeks, so the move down back is a good one.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

No i don't think Gumbleton shouldve played in defence. Remember it was only his 4th game. He played a fair way up the ground and was v.quiet in the first half.

I just think on the G you need two gun forwards operating in tandem on its big wide expanses.

We also didn't have much in the way of crumbers after the ball went to ground and players to chase and haras to keep it in there- the defensive aspect of our forward line was non -existent and Richmond ran it out time after time.

Just one of things we really need to work on to be a good side.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

100% with Ben Doolan. Had we played CJ, Gumby or Bradley on Richardson then this thread would be replaced by several screaming blue murder.

Not a contributing factor to the loss on the night.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Maybe we should have played Kepler at CHF and given Gumby a rest in the twos before heading west. If Lucas is going to play back, he's definitely earned a spot with his form in the seconds. I don't think Gumby has the engine to hold down a key forward spot all on his lonesome at this point and Bradley would have presented all night.

That said, we were f****** woeful and I don't think that any one player would have made the difference.

Hopefully Bradley gets rewarded for his efforts at Bendigo with one game this season - and kicks a few.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

A major problem was that Ryder was taken from the backline and pushed up forward. He played the whole game at half forward (with the odd exception here and there). He's usually on the backline, along with Fletcher and Michael.

Fletcher was taken from the backline and replaced with Lucas. Ok, no problem with that really because he can play CHB and did a good job last week on shutting down Whitnall.

Ryder was then also taken from the backline and whacked up forward, which seemed bizarre to me. He took some very nice grabs but not sure why he was there.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Surely with the game slipping Sheeds should have rolled the dice and switched Ryder with Lucas. Ryder would have been able to keep up with Schulz better and even if he got beaten by Lucas, we would be in the same position as if Lucas had stayed there.

But we then would have had experience across half-forward. You simply cannot expect Gumbleton, Ryder and Hille to be as effective as Lucas. Lucas has kicked more than 50 goals this year FFS!
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac wrote: But we then would have had experience across half-forward. You simply cannot expect Gumbleton, Ryder and Hille to be as effective as Lucas. Lucas has kicked more than 50 goals this year FFS!
3 goals in the last month though, and most of it played at CHF, playing from behind and giving away free kicks with hands in the back. He's had a very good year, but has struggled of late up forward.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac wrote: But we then would have had experience across half-forward. You simply cannot expect Gumbleton, Ryder and Hille to be as effective as Lucas. Lucas has kicked more than 50 goals this year FFS!
3 goals in the last month though, and most of it played at CHF, playing from behind and giving away free kicks with hands in the back. He's had a very good year, but has struggled of late up forward.
Which begs the question, why has Lucas struggled of late? Is he carrying an injury? Lost interest after the Sheedy announcement? Or what? There has to be some explanation, as he was so good in the first half of the season (and last year too, for that matter).
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I feel it is being figured out by the opposition. Everyone knows he lacks mobility, so opposition puts a shorter but athelitic players to beat him.