Drugs Controversy

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Drugs Controversy

Post by hillchaser »

Heard on the radio about these developments on a player who sold drugs etc. Which is also the same club where the channel 7 debacle is linked. Knowing that this is sensitive I wouldn't expect anyone who knew anything to be specific ...

but can someone please tell me this isn't the Bombers we are talking about here. I would love to think (even if it is naive) that this type of crap would happen at the bombers.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

It isn't the bombers...we weren't the club named by Channel 7
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Tony Jones on the The Today Show hinted that it is the club referred to by C7 and that the player is high-profile or at least a well known household name. Poses the question, at what level are we talking about?

I think they should name them and shame them - after all they have committed a crime and not just broken an AFL sanctioned rule.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Ahem.

Have made minor adjustments to the thread.

We're not naming names remember... that includes the club. Suffice to say it is not Essendon.

You said SOLD drugs - have I had my head in the clouds the last few days? I thought they were just TAKING them, I didn't realise they were selling too???
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: Drugs Controversy

Post by tom9779 »

hillchaser wrote:Heard on the radio about these developments on a player who sold drugs etc. Which is also the same club where the channel 7 debacle is linked. Knowing that this is sensitive I wouldn't expect anyone who knew anything to be specific ...

but can someone please tell me this isn't the Bombers we are talking about here. I would love to think (even if it is naive) that this type of crap would happen at the bombers.
er its all over the web and news.com.au websites.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 48,00.html
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Wow. I can't believe that article is still up.

Well. Since THEY said it I'll leave the link but... I'm unsure what to do about this one.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Yeah Megan, there is one player who is both dealing and taking and another just taking. i've heard a few rumours about who the player who is dealing is. And the club that has been named by channel 7 is the club i keep hearing.
tony coz
On the Rookie List

Post by tony coz »

Whats the problem with naming the club anyway....Channel 7 did and since the court action no one is saying who it is but we already know.
As for the two players not named it is common knowledge amongst the media (accoring to Caro) who they are.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Do a search on google with the following keywords:

"drugs scandal -- so who are they??" "players are"

Damn google and its long memory.

Can someone delete this if it's inappropriate?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

The articles referred to by andrewb and tom9779 are both now deleted but the google link still exists with the two players named :shock:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I think one of those players was on the list (of 7) that I have already seen but one of them wasn't. Don't know how reliable it is.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

If you feel you have to cover yourself Meges,megirl,do so!

Don't wait!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i will say the scandal has effected how i plan on tipping this weekend.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Staggy wrote:I think one of those players was on the list (of 7) that I have already seen but one of them wasn't. Don't know how reliable it is.
Same for me
Bleeding for the red and black
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Regardless of who is involved in this, my thoughts are as follows. My view on recreational drugs (including alcohol) is that providing it does not affect the quality of your work - in this case playing football - then your private life should be just that. When alcohol or illicit drugs inhibit your ability to perform, the club has both a financial and a social responsibility to ensure rehabilitation occurs.

Steve Johnson is a case in point - it doesn't matter that he's not a drug user, he had an addiction to alcohol that affected his on-field performance. That is a far bigger problem for his club and him as a person than a player who uses recreational drugs on occasion.

By all means test for performance enhancing drugs and punish players who use them to the full limit. But if you're going to do random tests for illicit drugs you may as well bring the breathalyser along as well.

Publishing the fact that top AFL players who are role models to kids are on this stuff? That's just irresponsible.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

AFL players keep asking to be treated the same as everyone else. Well I say, you can't have it both ways. What happens if you are caught with illegal drugs? Chances are you get reported to the police, or you are immediatly in rehab.

Well AFL players, there is a club with many f***** up on drugs. Yet all we care about is channel 7 reporting it. Maybe the AFL should woprry more about the drug issue rather than keeping it hush.

The AFL had no problem with news media reporting one player having a drug problem. FOr them it looked like a one off at least. Now that the report is an entire club, they have a problem. I think the AFL cares more about their image rather than the news media.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

[quote="Essendon4eva"]AFL players keep asking to be treated the same as everyone else. Well I say, you can't have it both ways. What happens if you are caught with illegal drugs? Chances are you get reported to the police, or you are immediatly in rehab.

Well AFL players, there is a club with many f***** up on drugs. Yet all we care about is channel 7 reporting it. Maybe the AFL should woprry more about the drug issue rather than keeping it hush.

The AFL had no problem with news media reporting one player having a drug problem. FOr them it looked like a one off at least. Now that the report is an entire club, they have a problem. I think the AFL cares more about their image rather than the news media.[/quote]

Spot on E4E
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

swoodley wrote:The articles referred to by andrewb and tom9779 are both now deleted but the google link still exists with the two players named :shock:
Google caches pages so that you can still have a look even if the page is gone or updated.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

swoodley wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:AFL players keep asking to be treated the same as everyone else. Well I say, you can't have it both ways. What happens if you are caught with illegal drugs? Chances are you get reported to the police, or you are immediatly in rehab.

The AFL had no problem with news media reporting one player having a drug problem. FOr them it looked like a one off at least. Now that the report is an entire club, they have a problem. I think the AFL cares more about their image rather than the news media.[/quote]

Spot on E4E
[/quote]

Just to add on. The other media outlets are also talking out of their ass aout this issue not being in the 'public interest'.
Two groups of people invest their money into football clubs. Sponsors and, you guessed it, the public. Where does that money go? Amoung other area's it goes into the pay check of the players. Some fans may not want to have their money go into the pay check of player/s who are on illegal drugs.
Money is another reason the AFL cares so much about this issue.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I have little sympathy for players on Illicit drugs or Performance ones.

But 7 CAN'T GET OFF THE HOOK here for their DECEIT!They have looked quite the Joke on this.