"Your" and "You're"

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

BenDoolan wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:Let me ellaborate.
We are not writting essays here, so I for one, do not pay attention too my grammar. I think we all know where the apostrophe goes, but can't be f***** worrying about if we put it in or not.
Why is it a problem to expect someone to spell correctly or to use the correct grammar?

Is it really that hard to read your posts before you submit?
It isn't hard, I just cant be f***** wasting time on a discussion forum, making sure every word is spelt correctly and every single detail is done to perfection.

If it is tat big of a problem, make it one of your rules to have close to perfect grammar and spelling. If you break the rules, you may be given warnings of banned.
Or f***, why not find a php hack for spell check. There are plenty of hacks out there.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Because Ben Doolan doesn't get to make the rules around here, simple as that.

I HATE HATE HATE - and this is not an accident, a typo or anything innocent - youse.

Youse are all a pack of f****** inbred hicks.

For God's sake YOU ARE isn't that difficult. I live in the f****** country. I want to kill anyone who says youse. Or Mondi, Tuesdi, Wednesdi etc. Drives me insane.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Pedants of the world unite!!.

And that does not mean anyone here is a kiddy fiddler!!

If you have no respect for the language, do not use it
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

rockhole wrote:Pedants of the world unite!!.

I hear you Rock. All you need to do is switch on the TV and you'll see shows like Neighbours, Home and Away, Big Bruvva and Estrayan Ordol (Bogan) to see how our mother tongue is being neglected in Australia. It only makes sense that writing skills have gone out the window along with good taste...

If anyone's bored one day, checkout a Mike Judge movie called "Idiocracy". This thread reminded me of it. The basic synopsis is this: In the future, the gene pool dips when academics stop breeding and the world is overrun by idiots. Funny and disturbing at the same time...

:wink:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Doctor Fish wrote:
rockhole wrote:Pedants of the world unite!!.

I hear you Rock. All you need to do is switch on the TV and you'll see shows like Neighbours, Home and Away, Big Bruvva and Estrayan Ordol (Bogan) to see how our mother tongue is being neglected in Australia. It only makes sense that writing skills have gone out the window along with good taste...

If anyone's bored one day, checkout a Mike Judge movie called "Idiocracy". This thread reminded me of it. The basic synopsis is this: In the future, the gene pool dips when academics stop breeding and the world is overrun by idiots. Funny and disturbing at the same time...

:wink:
Was that movie subtitled "The Club"
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Interesting people equate intelligence with grammar/spelling skills. Basically a rote learned skill that due to pedantic adherence to outdated archaic rules, totally ignores logic and is laden with exceptions. A computer has no intelligence yet can spell beyond the ability of any person.

Also interesting people stating that to simplify or modify the language is disrespecting it. These people obviously have no time for people such as Shakespeare.

Language is organic and evolving allowing for variance in context and popular use. By blindly applying grammatical laws you could in fact be breaking them!

(Run through spell-checker for the benefit of the obsessives)
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Its actually spelt arse.

And Gringo, get a life!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Rossoneri on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

With such a wonderful language including words such as gnome and knife, who could get it 'wrong'?

Being an academic doesn't automatically make one a perfect user of language and spelling. I have seen some shockers. Besides, they are too busy playing world of warcraft to worry about it.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Sismis wrote:Interesting people equate intelligence with grammar/spelling skills. Basically a rote learned skill that due to pedantic adherence to outdated archaic rules, totally ignores logic and is laden with exceptions. A computer has no intelligence yet can spell beyond the ability of any person.

Also interesting people stating that to simplify or modify the language is disrespecting it. These people obviously have no time for people such as Shakespeare.

Language is organic and evolving allowing for variance in context and popular use. By blindly applying grammatical laws you could in fact be breaking them!

(Run through spell-checker for the benefit of the obsessives)
My favourite post in the history of BomberTalk.

The grammar Nazis of this world are the ones who put kids off the amazing thing that is the English language. If we leaned more towards the attitudes expressed in the above post we might actually excite people into engaging with art and learning again.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

If your name is gringo, shouldn't the first letter be capitalised?

Even as an alias, it should be capitalised.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:I'm not too fussed by apostrophes, grammar, or syntax - but what really shits me is spelling player (especially Bombers) names wrong - sure if you can't spell O'hailpin - fair enough - but Lucus for Scotty Lucas? f*** me.
Ah yes, my pet hate. A bloke who has played over 200 games, won 2 best & fairests and a premiership player and they don't know how to spell Lucas. I think I mentioned this in a thread I titled "ESSENDAN".
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:I'm not too fussed by apostrophes, grammar, or syntax - but what really shits me is spelling player (especially Bombers) names wrong - sure if you can't spell O'hailpin - fair enough - but Lucus for Scotty Lucas? f*** me.
Ah yes, my pet hate. A bloke who has played over 200 games, won 2 best & fairests and a premiership player and they don't know how to spell Lucas. I think I mentioned this in a thread I titled "ESSENDAN".
I agree with Ben Doohan.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

My sister insists on pronouncing Essendon as "Essington".

Hawks supporter. Nuff said.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Megan wrote:My sister insists on pronouncing Essendon as "Essington".

My wife calls us the "Essies".
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
I agree with Ben Doohan.
Thanks Robbee! That may be a first..... :wink:
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:
Yeah - and former Bomber Dean Solo-man.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tonysoprano wrote:
Megan wrote:My sister insists on pronouncing Essendon as "Essington".

My wife calls us the "Essies".
I am forever picking up people (especially those from SinCity for some reason) who insist on pronouncing it 'Esser - Din'
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

TEACHER : Glenn, how do you spell "crocodile?"
GLENN : K-R-O-K-O-D-A-I-L"
TEACHER : No, that's wrong
GLENN : Maybe it s wrong, but you asked me how I spell it!

TEACHER : Millie, give me a sentence starting with "I."
MILLIE : I is...
TEACHER : No, Millie..... Always say, "I am."
MILLIE : All right... "I am the ninth letter of the alphabet."
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:You left out the other one Gringo

Yaw as in "Your whole ass seems to Yaw to the left when You're walking in that skirt"
In the days of YORE.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Koala wrote:on a similar note... it's "should have" NOT "should of" :lol:
That one really irks me. That and "loose" instead of "lose".
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant