Thoughts from the game...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Thoughts from the game...

Post by swoodley »

I've not long got home from Subi and what a rollercoaster of emotions I went through today.

My daughter and I got there about 40 minutes before the bounce and watched the boys go through their warm up. We saw Hille out there and started trying to figure out who was missing. I couldn't see Hirdy anywhere and had the horrible feeling that something had gone wrong and he was out.

Then my daughter said "there's Hirdy" and started cheering, and I felt relieved.

Lloyd won the toss and kicked to the Subiaco end and that was great as it meant we would be kicking to the end where we were sitting in the last quarter.

The Eagles jumped out of the blocks and it looked like getting ugly very quickly. Our skills were terrible as we missed targets again and again and I was getting frustrated and annoyed.

A couple of goals calmed the nerves but we were still three goals down at quarter time and I wasn't feeling very confident.

Two early goals got us back in the game but then the Eagles started putting on a show. Poor disposal again was costing us again as the eagles showed how it should be done...38 points down at half time and I felt we were lucky to be that close.

The third quarter was better and it looked like we were going to claw back some of the deficit only to see the Eagles kick away again.

Three quarter time came and we were now 44 points down...I was talking to another Bomber supporter and we both agreed that we hoped that we wouldn't get blown away in the last.

And then the last quarter, or should I say the Scotty Lucas show? He was f****** awesome as he tried to win the game for us off his own boot. I don't think I've ever seen someone kick 7 goals in the one quarter and the only thing that eventually stopped him was sheer exhaustion. The Eagles were panicking and we were playing some of the best footy I had seen us play for years.

The siren sounded and the fairytale finish was not to be but the best was saved 'til last.

I've always hated the Eagles with a passion but now I have to admit that I have newfound respect for them...the after match testimonial to Sheeds and Hirdy was bloody excellent and done with a lot of class. They showed Hirdy's goal from the game where he hugged the bomber supporter, they showed Sheed's throat slitting gesture and a whole heap of other stuff. Hardly anyone had left the ground as they presented Hirdy with the match ball and Sheeds with a jacket half Essendon and half Eagles.

The tears were flowing behind the sunglasses as it really hit home that this was the last time I would see Hirdy playing and Sheeds coaching.

We have been so lucky to have had the privilege of having these two great icons of the game representing our club for so long. I think I now understand what people used to say about watching Coleman and I will always be able to say that I saw Hirdy's last game.

This was an effort worthy of respect and expunged the sadness of last week's efforts.

Watching Spike looking for Hirdy in the last quarter was fantastic and the bullet like pass the great man did to Gus was just one more entry into the memory back of the great things he did.

As I watched them being chaired off the ground for the last time, I thought to myself that this was the saddest moment in my 40 years of watching The Mighty Bombers...I was there at the GF in 1990, the prelim in '99 and the GF in 2001 but none affected me as much as today.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Thanks for the fantastic summary, swoodley.
It was great watching it on TV over here, but it must have been even greater being at the ground.
What a shame we couldn't quite pull off the win.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I think the most touching thing to come from after the game, for me, was the number of other bombers crying. Hirdy made no secret of it, Spike didn't really either, there was another one but I forget who... Woosha?

Very emotional. As usual Sheeds wasn't phased, man is made of steel ;)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

can't add any more to swoodleys description - fantastic stuff.

i too was choking up under the sunnies - very proud of our last quarter effort - unfortunately gave them too much of a head start.

yes, well done to the eagles - a great send-off for our legends - very classy effort. but have to add they are absolute c*** faces during the game itself.

anyway...proud to be a bomber - and a sad day for the club.

well done and farewell Jim & Sheeds.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Yeah it was woosha meegs licha was shedding a few too.... Even MM looked like he was choking up.

It is the first time that I have cried since 18th September 1999
jorayme
Top Up Player

Post by jorayme »

Great post Swoodley. I was also suprised by the fact that hardly anyone left until Hirdy and Sheeds were chaired off. The other thing was in that last quarter the amount of noise comming from the Essendon supporters was great.The other thing was their supporters were almost mute. Other than the result, I never want to hear eagle rock again as they just kept playing it over and over.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ah what a great read swoods! I envy you being able to experience that emotion in the flesh. I agree, you have to hand it to the WCE and supporters for expressing such respect and honour to our legends. One wonders if the love would have been there had we miraculously won the game? :lol:
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Thanks Swoods, great post
Bleeding for the red and black
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

You found the words we all want to say, Swoodley.

I have to say I've never enjoyed a quarter that results in a loss more.

And I didn't see a dry Essendon eye from the supporters around us, and even the Richmond supporter we dragged over to Perth shed a few as well.

And it would seem that seven goals from Scotty in a quarter is a fantastic hangover cure!
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
tony coz
On the Rookie List

Post by tony coz »

thanks for the match summary....unfortunatly not all of us have the luxury of Foxtel. How channel 7 didnt telecast it, even later that night, really annoyed me. So many eesendon fans only had the radio. Hopefully someone has taped it and posts the last quarter on UTube in due time
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

tony coz wrote:thanks for the match summary....unfortunatly not all of us have the luxury of Foxtel. How channel 7 didnt telecast it, even later that night, really annoyed me. So many eesendon fans only had the radio. Hopefully someone has taped it and posts the last quarter on UTube in due time
if you are a member log onto the essendonfc.com.au homepage and go to bombertv where you can get the full match for free ususally added the Monday after a game.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

tony coz wrote:thanks for the match summary....unfortunatly not all of us have the luxury of Foxtel. How channel 7 didnt telecast it, even later that night, really annoyed me. So many eesendon fans only had the radio. Hopefully someone has taped it and posts the last quarter on UTube in due time
if you are a member log onto the essendonfc.com.au homepage and go to bombertv where you can get the full match for free usually added the Monday after a game.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

if you are a member log onto the essendonfc.com.au homepage and go to bombertv where you can get the full match for free usually added the Monday after a game.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Don`t you have to pay for BomberTV?

I know I did.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

BomberinJapan wrote:Don`t you have to pay for BomberTV?

I know I did.
$10
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I know I did.
you do if you're not a member - if you are a member (even regional / interstate etc) you shouldn't have to - its included in your membership.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:

I know I did.
you do if you're not a member - if you are a member (even regional / interstate etc) you shouldn't have to - its included in your membership.
It nabbed me and I'm a member. It made me subscribe for $9.95 instead of $19.95 for non-members.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Yeah that sounds right to me.

If I remember back to when I was a member, I think you could sign up for BomberTV (used to be The Engine Room) when you bought your membership if you wanted to.

That may be why you thought it was automatically included TonyS?

Anyway, doesn`t matter if it`s 10, 20 or 100...jump on and watch the game! :wink: (consider skipping to the last quarter if you want to stay in a good mood)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Everytime a saw footage of McVeigh and Welsh crying along with Hirdy it started me off again. What an emotional day and one that won't be forgotten in a long time.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Great summary swoods. It certainly was a sad day for the Essendon football club but we just have to think back to the good memories that Sheeds and Hirdy made for us and of the improving young side we currently have.