Should There Be a Spill of The EFC Board?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Should there be a spill of the EFC Board?

Yes
7%
No
91%
Undecided
2%

Total votes: 46

dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:108 signatures from 34, 219 members. What a joke. Turns out 0.003% of the members want an EGM. I know we live in a democracy, but this is sheer lunacy.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=5358
Ah well. At least the two resolutions they're lodging are valid, and they dropped the three that they had no right to put. That's an improvement.

Still. I don't understand why this couldn't wait for the AGM. The EGM has to happen some time over the next two months, but by the time EFC send out the notices, book the venue, fart around and do a pirouette, it won't happen until late October.......which is a matter of weeks before the AGM.

For me, it's just all a case of misguided anger. These people can put whatever gloss on it they choose, but it's as plain as the nose on Bill Lawry's face that the only reason this is happening is because Sheedy didn't have his contract renewed. How do i know this? Well, because this movement started the day Sheedy had his tenure ended, and well before any Board bumblings over the ensuing 2-3 weeks. It's a convenient smokescreen for these people to say "no, we're not doing this because Sheedy's gone, we're doing this because of the way the Board handled it", but that's just a falsity. The fact the Board had a few hiccups after ending Sheedy's career is a convenient ulterior motive and perhaps galvanised this mob to call an EGM, but really, they're fighting an idiotic and futile fight (to get Sheedy re-instated) and are using tenuous motives in doing so.

To say i disrespect these buffoons is to grossly inflate my levels of respect toward them.
Could the club bring the AGM forward and do both the AGM and the EGM back to back on the same night?
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

Chop chop SaveEssendon, pick a date so that the majority of us can tell you where to stick it and you can crawl back under whatever rock you came from. :evil:
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone know when the vote is going to take place? I'm turning 18 in 21 days (hence will be able to vote then), and am hoping that I can vote against this idiotic saveessendon bunch. Every vote counts :)
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Gossy wrote: Every vote counts :)
Important point this. I hope everyone can make the effort to vote at the EGM. Don`t let complacency lead to people not voting and those ******** somehow pulling enough votes out of their arses.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Good god, Vlad has said something that I agree with. :shock: :shock: :shock:
The AFL yesterday threw its support behind Horsburgh and Jackson and said that supporters had the opportunity to voice any misgivings about the club at the annual meeting in December.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou described the situation as "nonsense". "If any disenfranchised Essendon members want to voice their disapproval, there is avenue for them for that," Demetriou said.

"I don't know who these people are but I would urge them to seriously reconsider going down that path.

"Peter Jackson is one of the best chief executives going around, by far. He has been at Essendon for 10 years and built the club up to be one of the powerhouses of the AFL.

"The Essendon board is one of the best we have in the competition and some of this stuff going around is nonsense."
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

We also finally have our first name to put to the Save Essendon group. Denise Russell. Means nothing to me...anyone else?
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

tonysoprano wrote:who said yes?!

tom? e4e? :wink:
ha-ha

I think its good there is an EGM. The club needs one, since they have sacked a coach of 27 years.

As for whether the board deserves to be ousted. Time will tell.

There should have been a succession plan at Essendon, maybe there is, but it hasn't come to light in the media yet.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

tom9779 wrote:I think its good there is an EGM. The club needs one, since they have sacked a coach of 27 years.
Wow. That's awesome analysis.

:roll:
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

tom9779 wrote:

ha-ha

I think its good there is an EGM. The club needs one, since they have sacked a coach of 27 years.
Why do they need one when the AGM will be not very long after?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

tom9779 wrote:

ha-ha

There should have been a succession plan at Essendon, maybe there is, but it hasn't come to light in the media yet.
Why does the media need to know? f*** them! Who cares what we are told, the board know what they are doing. For all we know, they have been interviewing everybody secretley.

We are Essendon, we keep things in-house. The one flaw Ray has made thus far was giving in and coming out and defending the club because of what the media were saying about us. He defended the club, but he didnt need to. The media mean very little to Essendon, the media is just a tool for tems like the Kangaroos and Bulldogs to attract sponsors and members. We dont have to sell our souls to raise funds.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Rossoneri wrote:
tom9779 wrote:

ha-ha

Why does the media need to know? f*** them! Who cares what we are told, the board know what they are doing. For all we know, they have been interviewing everybody secretley.

We are Essendon, we keep things in-house. The one flaw Ray has made thus far was giving in and coming out and defending the club because of what the media were saying about us. He defended the club, but he didnt need to. The media mean very little to Essendon, the media is just a tool for tems like the Kangaroos and Bulldogs to attract sponsors and members. We dont have to sell our souls to raise funds.
Spot on. That's the only critisism I have of Ray.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Sheedy probably knows more about the EFC than anyone else. If he were an executive he'd be given a retainer or something similar to make sure that company secrets stayed with the club. He'd also be part of an extensive handover process. Horsburgh should understand that.

A succession plan would have enabled a managed knowledge transfer. We seem to have pulled the trigger because we were worried that Voss would go to Carlton - BIG mistake. Worth sacking the board over? I'm undecided and I'll wait and see how things pan out.

I'm going to have to be comfortable that the board has acted in a measured fashion and followed some sort of process before I'll be happy that the right decision was made. At this stage I can't see any reason why the announcement couldn't have waited until three weeks ago (when we were only a mathematical chance) rather than seven. May have given us some momentum coming into the finals, too.

The saveessendon group have popped their cookies too early... you need to wait until you have a critical mass of information before you do something rash like calling an EGM. Unless they have someone from the inner circle (board member or Jackson) on their ticket their arguments will be based on pure innuendo and will be easily shot down.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Silly question. Does anyone know what sort of percentage of the vote these clownfarts need to achieve to spill the board? I expect a full BT turn out at the meeting boys and girls (whenever it is...). This has gone on too long already...

[-(
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Doctor Fish wrote:Silly question. Does anyone know what sort of percentage of the vote these clownfarts need to achieve to spill the board? I expect a full BT turn out at the meeting boys and girls (whenever it is...). This has gone on too long already...

[-(
This is probably one for Jimmy, but I dare say its 50% + 1.

I know in some instances you need 75%, but I think thats for other matters in the corporate world.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tom9779 wrote:I think its good there is an EGM. The club needs one, since they have sacked a coach of 27 years.
1. Why does the club "need" and EGM? Surely any questions can be raised at the AGM.

2. No, Essendon has not sacked anyone. Kevin Sheedy was not contracted beyond this season. Therefore, the club actually did nothing. This is the biggest crap to come out of the saveessendon shit. If there is no contract in place for next yesr, there is absolutely no obligation to worry about that person once the current contract expires.
tom9779 wrote:There should have been a succession plan at Essendon, maybe there is, but it hasn't come to light in the media yet.
I find this whole succession plan crap very interesting for the fact that I just don't get it. Why do we need one? Surely any new coach should be allowed to do what he wants with the team, not what his predecessor wanted.

And it is not as if we are going to be hiring some idiot who has no idea about football and needs someone looking over his shoulder all the time.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

j-mac wrote:
1. Why does the club "need" and EGM? Surely any questions can be raised at the AGM.

2. No, Essendon has not sacked anyone. Kevin Sheedy was not contracted beyond this season. Therefore, the club actually did nothing. This is the biggest crap to come out of the saveessendon shit. If there is no contract in place for next yesr, there is absolutely no obligation to worry about that person once the current contract expires.
tom9779 wrote:There should have been a succession plan at Essendon, maybe there is, but it hasn't come to light in the media yet.
I find this whole succession plan crap very interesting for the fact that I just don't get it. Why do we need one? Surely any new coach should be allowed to do what he wants with the team, not what his predecessor wanted.

And it is not as if we are going to be hiring some idiot who has no idea about football and needs someone looking over his shoulder all the time.
excerpt from Smith who seems to comment a lot about the sacking of coaches from the australian yesterday...

The manner in which Melbourne got its man has shown up the inept and insensitive manner Essendon sought to sack Sheedy and find his replacement. It has ended in embarrassment. A group of disenchanted supporters has served the club with a petition for the removal of chief executive Peter Jackson from the board and the replacement of president Ray Horsburgh. If they don't get their wish there will be a move on the board at an extraordinary general meeting.

Horsburgh's position is the least tenable. He lied directly after the board meeting that sacked Sheedy, did not attend the news conference that announced the end of tenure for the club's most famous son, then claimed publicly and churlishly that Sheedy was bitter and in danger of harming his reputation.

The board is culpable, too, for the timing of its decision to sack Sheedy. The team was very much in contention for a place in the finals but the club panicked when Michael Voss was being wooed by Carlton.

It was imperative that the board see Sheedy off at the right time and in the right manner and the hard work of the players from pre-season was not jeopardised. Supporters are right to make the board and the president accountable for sacrificing a coach, the players and ultimately the season.

Smith is right on the points highlighted in bold.

Maybe it can wait til the AGM, but it enough people want action now.

I will say that Jackson has done a good job as a ceo, but what has horsburgh done well since he has been appointed eh?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:
j-mac wrote:

excerpt from Smith who seems to comment a lot about the sacking of coaches from the australian yesterday...

The manner in which Melbourne got its man has shown up the inept and insensitive manner Essendon sought to sack Sheedy and find his replacement. It has ended in embarrassment. A group of disenchanted supporters has served the club with a petition for the removal of chief executive Peter Jackson from the board and the replacement of president Ray Horsburgh. If they don't get their wish there will be a move on the board at an extraordinary general meeting.

Horsburgh's position is the least tenable. He lied directly after the board meeting that sacked Sheedy, did not attend the news conference that announced the end of tenure for the club's most famous son, then claimed publicly and churlishly that Sheedy was bitter and in danger of harming his reputation.

The board is culpable, too, for the timing of its decision to sack Sheedy. The team was very much in contention for a place in the finals but the club panicked when Michael Voss was being wooed by Carlton.

It was imperative that the board see Sheedy off at the right time and in the right manner and the hard work of the players from pre-season was not jeopardised. Supporters are right to make the board and the president accountable for sacrificing a coach, the players and ultimately the season.

Smith is right on the points highlighted in bold.

Maybe it can wait til the AGM, but it enough people want action now.

I will say that Jackson has done a good job as a ceo, but what has horsburgh done well since he has been appointed eh?
Thanks for pointing me to article #6 from f***stick Smith. There is probably many more of the same shit, but oh well. Wonder what the f*** he will say if we get Bomber Thompson.....
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

The media knew that Sheedy was a dead man walking months before the decision was made (and were talking about it even when we were sitting in the top 4). That's unacceptable. Anyone who thinks this decision was handled well is kidding themselves.

What if we missed a finals series because of this decision? I'm pretty sure that with a fit Alwyn and a fired up Hird we would have had a chance to do some damage.

I'm waiting until the new coach is announced before I get pissed off because there is still a chance that the decision was made on a back room agreement with Bomber. But if the only reason we pulled the trigger was because Voss might have gone to Carlton I'll be very, very annoyed.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

f*** I hate Patrick Smith.
If they don't get their wish there will be a move on the board at an extraordinary general meeting.
What the f*** do you mean "if"? They`ve already said they won`t be resigning (and rightly so), so why make it sound like there`s a chance?

This is a joke.

Tom and AndrewB - I respect that you`re willing to go against the majority and give your opinions, but you still haven`t given a decent reason for explaining why we need to waste time and money and bring all this extra attention onto the club with an EGM, rather than just waiting a couple of months longer for the AGM.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Doctor Fish wrote:Silly question. Does anyone know what sort of percentage of the vote these clownfarts need to achieve to spill the board? I expect a full BT turn out at the meeting boys and girls (whenever it is...). This has gone on too long already...

[-(
This would be considered a special resolution and would need 75% of votes to pass. Of course, I haven't seen the EFC Constitution, but that's the standard statutory limitation.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

75% vote for Save Essendon? Tell 'im his dreamin'...