Nick off Sth Melb or whoever you are!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Hopefully he chooses us over the swans....

The Swans (or anyone else) could apply to take him earlier but we then get to take him with our next selection.... so going by that the Swans would have to commit to taking him with their 1st round pick or else we could simply get him with the usual 3rd round selection.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

dodgey wrote:Hopefully he chooses us over the swans....

The Swans (or anyone else) could apply to take him earlier but we then get to take him with our next selection.... so going by that the Swans would have to commit to taking him with their 1st round pick or else we could simply get him with the usual 3rd round selection.
Thanks for clearing that up Dodge... It was as clear as mud.

:wink:
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Lives in Melbourne and supports the Dons from what I have heard. Highly dount that he would want to head up North, unless he is forced by us not taking him or being outbid.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

i thought if syds said they would use first draft choice, we would have to use our second, if he went to us father and son. and i reckon he is worth a 2nd round pick from what i have heard.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

With his father and mother both growing into their 20s, the family believes he might have a little bit of height left in him. And with his pedigree — his father played 233 games and was regarded as one of the best full-backs of his time — it is fair to say there has been plenty of interest.

Wow, I never rated Anthony so highly.

TD and Neil yes.

Chris - from memory a bit slow? in and out of the team

Anthony?

I was very young at the time(an 8 yr old!)...was Anthony Daniher one of the best FBs going around?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Anthony was a very very good player. Neil and Terry were better, but also because they played further up the ground. Daniher would get big assignments and win a lot of them. I remember his booming kicks from t
the goal square would reach the middle of Windy Hill.

And what has been said by Dodgey is correct. We probably want Sydney to lose in the semi finals, bringing their first pick to #11 or #12. That way, there is little chance of them using their first round pick on him. If Darcy Daniher chooses us, and Sydney use their first round pick, we just have to use our second round pick.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:With his father and mother both growing into their 20s, the family believes he might have a little bit of height left in him. And with his pedigree — his father played 233 games and was regarded as one of the best full-backs of his time — it is fair to say there has been plenty of interest.

TD and Neil yes.

Anthony?

I was very young at the time(an 8 yr old!)...was Anthony Daniher one of the best FBs going around?
Anthony Daniher was a fantastic full back. He would be the only full back in his time to have an excellent record against Jason Dunstall. Dunstall's worst average against a team was ours. Dunstall did get him one time when he kicked 12 goals in a 160 point massacre in 1992. Ants used to bomb a torp from the kick out that used to land near the centre of the ground. He was very good in the air, and had good recovery when the ball hit the ground. He played on some of the greatest full forwards to ever play the game - Dunstall, Lockett & Ablett.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
tom9779 wrote:With his father and mother both growing into their 20s, the family believes he might have a little bit of height left in him. And with his pedigree — his father played 233 games and was regarded as one of the best full-backs of his time — it is fair to say there has been plenty of interest.

TD and Neil yes.

Anthony?

Anthony Daniher was a fantastic full back. He would be the only full back in his time to have an excellent record against Jason Dunstall. Dunstall's worst average against a team was ours. Dunstall did get him one time when he kicked 12 goals in a 160 point massacre in 1992. Ants used to bomb a torp from the kick out that used to land near the centre of the ground. He was very good in the air, and had good recovery when the ball hit the ground. He played on some of the greatest full forwards to ever play the game - Dunstall, Lockett & Ablett.
And there was no flooding, except for a game against St. Kilda in 1991 (I think) down at Morrabin where at the start of the game we had Ezard and Chris Daniher loose in our defence in front of Lockett. Lockett kicked four that day, we won quiet easily. I remember we kicked 8 goals to 1 in the first quarter. You would know the game I speak about.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

TD and Neil yes.

Anthony?

And there was no flooding, except for a game against St. Kilda in 1991 (I think) down at Morrabin where at the start of the game we had Ezard and Chris Daniher loose in our defence in front of Lockett. Lockett kicked four that day, we won quiet easily. I remember we kicked 8 goals to 1 in the first quarter. You would know the game I speak about.
Yeah I do. I thought Michael Werner was used as a loose man in defence that day. Don't remember CD playing that day though. Ezard had an excellent 1991 season sweeping in the backline. There was also a new kid on the block who would do amazing things in defence by the name of Gavin Wanganeen.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Where does he fit in our future plans? If we get him does that mean we groom Gumbelton to play down back?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Essendon4eva wrote:Where does he fit in our future plans? If we get him does that mean we groom Gumbelton to play down back?
No, but we can then have a forward line of Daniher, Gumbleton, Neagle all big bodies and ready to replace Lucas and lloyd in 3-4 years time. If we get Daniher, we will probably off-load both Bradley and Johns.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

True, but we may end up with three big forwards, but our defense will be in trouble. However if we do go that route I'd prefer to have Gumbelton be a starter down back, but be confident he can go froward and be effective. Like a Adam Hunter type.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

From what I've heard he's a third or fourth rounder.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

andrewb wrote:From what I've heard he's a third or fourth rounder.

lol - how to put a dampener on things in one simple sentence
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

andrewb wrote:From what I've heard he's a third or fourth rounder.
and IF sydney don't offer up a 1st round pick for him ( unlikely unless they want to call our bluff) then we WILL get him in the 3rd round.

that is unless some other club thinks highly of him...but with 2 clubs able to take him F/S then that may scare off other clubs
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

He's been rotating between CHF and CHB for Calder...so we might be looking at developing him to a key position defender like his old man.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

What does Wiseby think??
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

So numberwise, what exactly are our draft picks this year? Anyone know? This priority thing has the Doctor confused, and even worse, talking about myself in the third person... Ah. What to do...

:roll: