Good Friday footy anyone?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Should there be an AFL match on Good Friday?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

In answer to the thread I dont really care either way. If Essendon was playing I'd probably turn up.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

boncer34 wrote:
uptick wrote:
swoodley wrote:
uptick wrote:
dom_105 wrote:I really don't care what they do.

Like many people, I would never go to the AFL on Easter weekend. Not so much to do with any religious beliefs I may have, simply because I have other things I do on that day.

If it can raise some money for the RCH, than it would be a good idea.
f*** the RCH as an institution, full of paedophiles.
the Royal Children's Hospital ?
good point definiotely not he kiddys hospital, although come to think of it, not , I was thinking of a certain religious outfit.
Hmm not sure if your baggin the RCH or not........ If you are prepare for a full blown Boncer rant. :shock:
He wa stalking about another group with the same initials I think (I hope)
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Yeah, give us a game.

Fair enough to those of you who are Christian and the others who value family enough to take a week off from the footy, but I`m not Christian, neither are any of my friends I`ve ever had, and I`ve always found time to fit in the footy around family commitments...and I reckon I`m certainly not alone there.

Try it for a year...if noone rocks up then I guess the Christians win :P
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Of course - we need to get over good friday, that crap happened over 2000 years ago.

The world needs to stop being so damned precious about religion.
well some people (like myself) don't view this as 'crap'. Good Friday is a holy day in the Christian calendar and while im not saying everyone needs to view it like this, im sure the afl doesn't need to put football on this day. Can't some special days be left football free?? If this was reversed and it was a Muslim holy day the afl wanted to play footy on, imagine the uproar. Just leave the fixture as it is.
Going to the football is a special day - why should someone elses antiquated belief system stop me from doing it on any day of the year???

I dont stop you from going to church, thats your choice, I would personally prefer living my life without being subjected to such choices.

No hard feelings, its just that religion really is a silly thing. Hey, I like Country Music - but I am not going to be offended if you dont.

Suggest you grab a copy of a book called the God Delusion if you need further reading material
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Kiddies hospital is a fine institution
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

Should play Friday night footy good friday, so they still have all the normal stuff furing the day, like all the old christian movies - barbarus, passion of the christ etc. and everyone can have lunch and stuff, and then have footy at the end of the day. I propose a game between Essendon and Carlton
Good vs Evil!, and courtney Johns could play, altho probably better he plays on the sunday!
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Leigh wrote:Should play Friday night footy good friday, so they still have all the normal stuff furing the day, like all the old christian movies - barbarus, passion of the christ etc. and everyone can have lunch and stuff, and then have footy at the end of the day. I propose a game between Essendon and Carlton
Good vs Evil!, and courtney Johns could play, altho probably better he plays on the sunday!
:lol: Clever suggestions.

Perhaps it really should be played between the Saints and the Demons though....
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

If Johns plays on Good Friday, watch him get crucified by the Jews...I mean umpires.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

As long as the proceeds go to the Children's hospital I think it could be a good concept.
As far as the reilgous signifcance goes. I'm tired of the world having to stop for the one religion.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:As long as the proceeds go to the Children's hospital I think it could be a good concept.
As far as the reilgous signifcance goes. I'm tired of the world having to stop for the one religion.
You're right. So I guess you'll be working on Good Friday, Easter Monday and Christmas Day?
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

If the store has public holiday work those days. I worked the previous Easter Monday. Why should I celebrate regilous holidays when I do not beleive in that reilgion?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:If the store has public holiday work those days. I worked the previous Easter Monday. Why should I celebrate regilous holidays when I do not beleive in that reilgion?
I agree. You should work on all of those days and for the same rate as every other day....
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Public holiday rates go up becasue you do not have to work. So untill the government changes the system, so that only people that follow that particular religion get the day off the pay rates should apply to everyone. See the rate goes up because you do not have to work.

Eventhough you raise a good point, I feel no pain in taking advantage of a fictional religion. A religion based on a book that had been re-written 6 or so times.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just becasue I dislike the religion doesn't mean I have any distain for those that choose to beleive it.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Im suprised so many people are skeptical about what's in the bible - there's by far, more logical and factual evidence for God than there is for any other alternatives. It takes more faith to believe in evolution and the big bang theory than it does to believe in God!

But as for footy on Good Friday - i think God would be cool with that.

Go Dons!
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Re: Good Friday footy anyone?

Post by Makaveli »

j-mac wrote: We have moved on from being a mostly christian society. There are more religions in Australia now than when the VFL started and probably more atheists too. Public decisions should not be based on religion.
And if the AFL are going to base their decision on christian beliefs, surely we cannot play on Friday nights and Saturdays because of Jewish observance of the Sabbath. Not sure if there are any Muslim holidays that coincide with the season, but they would have to have no games too.
Wrong, over 60% of the Australian population are christian and the worlds biggest group is christianity, before athiests, islam and the rest combined. Your jewish argument is pretty funny, as it's not the religion of western civilizations, so why would it matter in australia. Also the fact there are something like 14 million jews in the world, compared to over a billion christians. I always thought the majority ruled, but obviously not.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

...I`m not touchin` that with a ten foot pole (poll? :P )...
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BomberinJapan wrote:...I`m not touchin` that with a ten foot pole (poll? :P )...
Why not...nothing like a good religious debate :wink:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

I wouldn't care if there was footy on Good Friday, because my religion IS football. ;)

I sit around watching TV on Good Friday anyway. The GF Appeal gets boring after a while, so it would be nice to have something to flick over to from time to time.