Andrew Walker, Draft Rules, The Cap Breach.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Andrew Walker, Draft Rules, The Cap Breach.

Post by robbie67 »

I have been thinking about this for a while. You know how they changed the rules in relation to priority picks last year, and instead of having pick 2, and pick 4, we had pick 2, and pick 18 guys? Well isnt it ironic, that when Carlton was penalised it's draft picks over the cap breaches, the AFL decided that they would still keep their PRIORITY pick, when they won less than 5 games that following year. So in a year when Carlton shouldnt have been in the first two rounds of the draft, they got to pick up Andrew Walker. When it's our turn for a priority pick, here congrats, you get pick 18. Now I'm not saying that it's not possible or even probable that Leroy Jetta may become a better player than Andrew Walker, but he may still have been available at pick 20, and with pick 4(as mentioned in another thread) we could have gotten Selwood. How much better would we all feel if THAT guy was on our list?

I know it's a matter of shoulda, woulda, coulda, but f*ck our club has had some shocking luck.

You may like to point out the facts of the matter above, next time you hear a Carlton supporter whinging about how the draft penalties have killed them. Because in all truth, in the last 10 years, we have been penalised more than they have.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Would still take Selwood over Gumby. Again and again.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

boncer34 wrote:Would still take Selwood over Gumby. Again and again.
Gumby's team mates could not disagree with you more.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Selwood may be better than Gumby now or after they fully devlop, but it is alot harder to ind quality KPP than quality medfielders. Not sayhing finding a good medfielder is easy but it is easier than getting KPP.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Dont care. Listen I am extremely happy with Gumby BUT Joel is going to be better then Judd.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

WOuld you trade your wife/girlfriend for Selwood?
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Essendon4eva wrote:WOuld you trade your wife/girlfriend for Selwood?
No.

Everyone who was on here last year knows my feelings on this. I was with Joel at school, I saw the damage he can do on the footy field first hand. I was spewing when we didn't take him and I still am.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Any chacne you can get into his ear when his contract is up?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Get Bomber Thompson as coach and we'll get the other Selwood in the draft. And then Bomber will work with getting Joel down the track.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:Get Bomber Thompson as coach and we'll get the other Selwood in the draft. And then Bomber will work with getting Joel down the track.
It'll be the Danihers all over again.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Lets get them before they knock up their 100 games, so we get their kids. 4 Selwoods = 8 children. Interesting...
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

8 children= 16 kids. 16 kids= 32 only issue is when the 32=64 who do we not pick up?
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Keep in mind when their kids are old enough we will have the two Hird's coming through.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Walker's ordinary anyway. And i'd suggest that Carlton would have well and truly served their penance by the time they turn it around. From 2002, they've finished 16th, 15th, 11th, 16th, 16th and 15th, and they've still got at least a few more years of rubbish to go. By the time they're done, they will have spent close to a decade anchored somewhere at or near the foot of the ladder.

Still though, it does irk me that when we have our worst season in the history of the club since the national draft was introduced, it just so happens to be the year when changes take effect to ensure we're less amply "rewarded" than we would've been in years gone by.

I'd feel some sort of perverted delight if Kreuzer turned out to be the next Josh Fraser. That would be lovely.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Still, our worst year was in the best draft in the last 10 years.

If our bad year was this year I'd be shattered.

Gumby, Jetta, Hislop - going to be a fair trio.