Sheeds comments about Geelong

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Sheeds comments about Geelong

Post by doogle »

FROM HERALD SUN

3 STEVE JOHNSON

He stuffed up, and made amends. Good on him.

The X-factor, need I remind Geelong, was a player called Nick Davis when the Cats played Sydney in 2005.

He made something out of nothing at a stoppage, and now Steve Johnson might do exactly the same thing.

He can take you to a stoppage and smack your bum, or get out on the lead and do the same thing.

He is good overhead, he is smart, he will kick a freak goal. Not many guys can do the things some of those mercurial small forwards can, and that's the reason why Geelong said, "Do this, do that, you will help us win a premiership. Or don't do it, and you are out".

4 THE MIDFIELD
Joel Selwood might be an absolute superstar, and he's unlucky he's not at Essendon -- he would have been had the rules for priority picks not changed.

We identified him as the go-to player after the tall we needed in Scott Gumbleton at No. 2.

But that year, instead of Essendon having picks two and four for winning fewer than four games, we had two and 18.

Steve Johnson was up for trade last year, Sheeds obviously liked him, why didn't we get him?

AND yes, the rules changed when we qualified for the priority pick, unlike
St K WBs Hawks WC Ninthmond Collingwood the list goes on of clubs with 2 picks in the first round.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Sheeds comments about Geelong

Post by BenDoolan »

doogle wrote:4 THE MIDFIELD
Joel Selwood might be an absolute superstar, and he's unlucky he's not at Essendon -- he would have been had the rules for priority picks not changed.

Yeah, I'm sure HE'S thinking he's unlucky. He's more than likely to be drinking out of the Premiership Cup in 3 weeks time! :roll:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Even Sheeds knows the Bonce was right. Pity he didn't listen to me at the time.;)
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

doogle wrote:

Steve Johnson was up for trade last year, Sheeds obviously liked him, why didn't we get him?
Because knowing Sheeds, we were probably only willing to offer Mark Bolton for him!!

Besides at the end of last year, and during the pre-season he appeared like a complete and utter basketcase that was going to throw his career in the dunny because he could not keep of the grog!!
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I think Sheed's is the unlucky one. We could have been on Selwood away from playing finals.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure HE'S thinking he's unlucky. He's more than likely to be drinking out of the Premiership Cup in 3 weeks time! :roll:
knowing the Cat's recent recoed in GF's, I would nt be too sure about that.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

In Geelong's defense none of the current crop were involved in those GF's. However it coudl be our version of the Red Sox's curse.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

knowing the Cat's recent recoed in GF's, I would nt be too sure about that.
I know what you mean BUT if you saw them play today you would hand over the cup now. They were just playing around like cats with mice today. Can't find a weakness in their structure. Today they have dealt a big psychological blow to every other team in the finals.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Similar run to Essendon in 2000. Lose in round 21, thrash the Roo's in first final...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

West Coast are ravaged by injuries to key players.
Collingwood are nowhere near Geelong as far as a team goes.
Hawthorn are no match for Geelong either.
Kangaroos will be scarred after their mauling.
Port Adelaide were not convincing against the Eagles. They virtually choked but won.

Unless Geelong get injuries to G.Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Mooney, Scarlett, Harley, Chapman, Enright, Selwood etc, they will romp it in.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Sheedy should stop the plaintive excuses,it's the second time in a couple of weeks.First the Irishman Clarke now Sellwood
If only those two would have made a difference.
If he was firmly convinced at either time about these two the Sheedy of old would have got 'em somehow.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:

Sheeds is kidding himself. If we hd pick #4, he still would have taken Jetta.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

You guys take Sheeds too seriously. Has anything he's said since 2000 been less than 90% tongue in cheek?
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Rover 7 wrote:Sheedy should stop the plaintive excuses,it's the second time in a couple of weeks.First the Irishman Clarke now Sellwood
If he was firmly convinced at either time about these two the Sheedy of old would have got 'em somehow.
We missed out by a game and a bit, and a reason SHeed's was sakced was not devloping young talent. If we had of gotten Selwood, with the way he has stood out this season, I beleive we could have one a few more games and been in finals.
Sheed's is dead right. Selwood has stood out in a medfield that consists of Ablett, Bartell, Ling etc. The one or two spots up the ladder could have been teh difference between Sheed's coaching next year.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:
Rover 7 wrote:Sheedy should stop the plaintive excuses,it's the second time in a couple of weeks.First the Irishman Clarke now Sellwood
We missed out by a game and a bit, and a reason SHeed's was sakced was not devloping young talent. If we had of gotten Selwood, with the way he has stood out this season, I beleive we could have one a few more games and been in finals.
Sheed's is dead right. Selwood has stood out in a medfield that consists of Ablett, Bartell, Ling etc. The one or two spots up the ladder could have been teh difference between Sheed's coaching next year.
Regardless of us making the finals, Sheedy was not going to coach beyond this year.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Essendon4eva wrote:
No can't agree with that - We finished 12th. We were 2 wins and a heap of % out of 8th. Finishing "1 or 2 spots up the ladder" - we would have finished 11th or 10th. i don't think this would have made any difference to Sheeds going on next year.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

"I believe we could have one a few more games and been in finals."
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Essendon4eva wrote:"I believe we could have one a few more games and been in finals."
I believe we could have "two".
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

robbie67 wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:"I believe we could have one a few more games and been in finals."
I believe we could have "two".
Me free.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

The one or two spots.... ah forget it. Selective quoting.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.