Farewell Mark Johnson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

I hope he gets picked up by someone and can make a contribution at another team.

Good luck, MJ.
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

I never enjoyed footy more than when JJ, MJ, Solly, Hardwick and Wallis were intimidating and instilling genuin fear into the opposition, but the game has changed, its an athletes game now not a game for gladiators like those guys.

In those fantasitic years the Johno's were my favorites and its a detriment to the game that physical players like those guys are no longer rewarded for thier commitment to the contest, but more often are now infringed.

Sad to see the true hard nuts go, but in reality they havnt been allowed to play their tough style of game for at least 3 years and I suspect they know it as well as we do, they are better off leaving the game to the athletes the afl have gifted it to.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sol wrote:I never enjoyed footy more than when JJ, MJ, Solly, Hardwick and Wallis were intimidating and instilling genuin fear into the opposition, but the game has changed, its an athletes game now not a game for gladiators like those guys.

In those fantasitic years the Johno's were my favorites and its a detriment to the game that physical players like those guys are no longer rewarded for thier commitment to the contest, but more often are now infringed.

Sad to see the true hard nuts go, but in reality they havnt been allowed to play their tough style of game for at least 3 years and I suspect they know it as well as we do, they are better off leaving the game to the athletes the afl have gifted it to.
Has a more accurate post ever been written? So sad, yet so true.....
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I agree with all of the comments above. A great bloke who has given great service to the club. But probably the correct call, given the changing nature of the game. I wonder whether JJ might have been the one to go instead, if his contract didn't still have a year to run?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i just feel sorry for him that he delisted along side Kepler, makes MJ look bad
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Jazz_84 wrote:i just feel sorry for him that he delisted along side Kepler, makes MJ look bad
Yeah, they certainly don't belong in the same breath.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Rossoneri wrote:I loved how he did his shoulder in the QF and Prelim finals, then somehow hurt his ribs, yet come GF time he f****** ate farmer for breakfast. In fact he didnt eat him, he chewed him up and spat him out.
I never thought he'd even play in the Granny, considered his shoulder was f***** against Carlton. Great little played, and I will certainly miss him.

However, it must be said I agree with the direction of the club. Would MJ really help us push for a premiership in the next three or four years? You'd have to say no. And in that case, sadly, it was time to go.

He was a top player though, and bows out with two great honours, a B&F and a Flag, and nearly 200 games with the greatest club on earth.

Nice one Johnno. :D
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Sends a great message to the kids, doesn't it.

Solomon, MJ, and probably JJ too... We're going to be soft as butter next year.

I would have kept him at the club, even if it was on a one year deal. In my opinion MJ and JJ earned the right to go out on their own terms and I'm a little disappointed.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I wish MJ could've just retired at 29 instead of having to be pushed, I hate to see players of his calibre get the punt out the door.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Filthy wrote:
andrewb wrote:Sends a great message to the kids, doesn't it.

I would have kept him at the club, even if it was on a one year deal. In my opinion MJ and JJ earned the right to go out on their own terms and I'm a little disappointed.
Not sure how Henry, Mal, Woosha, Lloyd, Fletch, Spike, Natrat (look out for that round house), Hille, Pev, JJ would feel about that Andy?? :D

Apparently Hislop, Neagle, Johns have a bit of c.... about them too.
Hille? You're kidding?

And JJ will struggle to get a game next year. He is too slow and has poor skills.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Sol wrote:I never enjoyed footy more than when JJ, MJ, Solly, Hardwick and Wallis were intimidating and instilling genuin fear into the opposition, but the game has changed, its an athletes game now not a game for gladiators like those guys.

Whilst that is partly true, Geelong's team is full of hard nuts. They aren't the best athletes in the competition, or even close, but they LOVE to smash bodies and are prepared to stick their head over the ball. Their midfield is leading the charge.

Collingwood is in the same boat.

Essendon are miles behind the above two clubs in this regard. And with blokes like Dyson, Stanton, Winderlich and Lovett proping up the midfield, it aint going to change anytime soon. I wouldn't play any of above players until they are prepared to take some hits. Hardwick would have demanded it. I can't see Knights demanding it though. Our twos were soft this year.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Filthy wrote:Not sure how Henry, Mal, Woosha, Lloyd, Fletch, Spike, Natrat (look out for that round house), Hille, Pev, JJ would feel about that Andy?? :D
McVeigh is a hard bastard but doesn't have the body to be an enforcer.

Hille, Lloyd and Mal have the physical presence but don't have the nasty.

Welsh is probably the best we have now. Slattery, Natrat, CJ and Hislop have potential but need to become consistently good players first. Looking forward to seeing Heath Hocking strap on the boots as well.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Filthy wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:
Filthy wrote:
andrewb wrote:Sends a great message to the kids, doesn't it.

Not sure how Henry, Mal, Woosha, Lloyd, Fletch, Spike, Natrat (look out for that round house), Hille, Pev, JJ would feel about that Andy?? :D

Apparently Hislop, Neagle, Johns have a bit of c.... about them too.
Hille? You're kidding?

And JJ will struggle to get a game next year. He is too slow and has poor skills.
Well why does he keep getting rubbed out?

Concur about JJ but he will be good to have around the kids in a mentoring role IMHO.
Because he is stupid.

Archer is the hardest player I have seen for a long time, how many times has he been rubbed out? Once that I can remember.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

He was good back when he was younger but has been ordinary for at least 3 seasons now and had to go. Career was prolonged by being a sheedy favourite in my opinion.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

We could have repaid him, by making sure we found him a new home.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Essendon4eva wrote:

We could have repaid him, by making sure we found him a new home.
Maybe Peter Jackson has a spare kennel? He isnt a lost dog.
Maybe we tried to trade him, but no one wanted him. Then what?
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Then we bitch and whinge that Essendon did the wrong thing.

Oh, hang on.... That's what E4E would do no matter what happened....
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

They did do the wrong thing keri. They should have made sure those two guy's got to continue there career's. Whether we got pick 2 or pick 90 for them.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon4eva wrote:They did do the wrong thing keri. They should have made sure those two guy's got to continue there career's. Whether we got pick 2 or pick 90 for them.
f*** you talk rubbish from thread to thread. Again, if NO CLUB was interested in MJ what is the EFC to do? Do you want the club to offer one million bucks to take him? And Kepler Bradley can get stuffed for all I care. We don't owe him anything. He was paid a decent salary for 4 years of comedy.
Essendunny
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Essendon4eva wrote:They did do the wrong thing keri. They should have made sure those two guy's got to continue there career's. Whether we got pick 2 or pick 90 for them.
People get dropped. It isn't the end of the damn world. MJ was a great servant of the club, and the fact that we kept him on the list at all in the last two years is evidence that we acknowledged that.

If you get sacked from your job for poor performance, regardless of how long you have been with your employer, do you think they would ensure you walked into another job at their cost? Not bloody likely.