Solomon

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Solomon

Post by bomberflyer »

I have received some late mail and the word is that Dean Solomon will be heading to Hawthorn if he does not get more than a 1-year contract with Essendon.

I'm not sure of the credibility of this information though it comes from an old friend from Broken Hill.
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

What would the Hawks offer us?
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

That's what I don't understand...I'm not sure we would get much in return for Solly at the moment so it may involve other players & clubs. Who knows what's happening with Akermanis and who will give who what?
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

would be pretty dissapointed if we let solomon go... despite not being able to get back to the way he use to be, i love the way he goes about his football when he IS on his game.

would laugh histerically if they traded DJ back to us for solomon.

but i say a hardnut for hardnut, Cambell Brown for Solomon :D
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Is this the same bloke that says that Laycock is leaving?
patoman
On the Rookie List

Post by patoman »

Nooooooooo!!!!
Letting Dean Solomon go would be a huge mistake.... We need him to add the grunt to the team..... I know he's not had a good year but look at how many young kids we have in the team, we need him to look out for theese fellas and let oposition teams know if they want to have a crack at Dyson, Jobe, stanton ect that Dean will be right there to give it back!

Not sure he'd want to go to Hawthorn..... Ninethmond (because of Richo) or Eddiewood (because of Tarrant) would seem to to be his more prefered destinations surely??????
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

Solly was always going to be trade bait this year after another shocker.
solly4me
Top Up Player

Post by solly4me »

Everyone knows my opinion, but I REALLLY hope they can work something out because I am sure he won't want to leave.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is
solly4me
Top Up Player

Post by solly4me »

patoman wrote:Nooooooooo!!!!
Letting Dean Solomon go would be a huge mistake.... We need him to add the grunt to the team..... I know he's not had a good year but look at how many young kids we have in the team, we need him to look out for theese fellas and let oposition teams know if they want to have a crack at Dyson, Jobe, stanton ect that Dean will be right there to give it back!

Not sure he'd want to go to Hawthorn..... Ninethmond (because of Richo) or Eddiewood (because of Tarrant) would seem to to be his more prefered destinations surely??????
Totally agree - who else is going to fill this role?
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Don't know if we are gonna be able to trade Solly after the season he has had. We are most likley gonna be stuck with him until he finishes his career. It's a shame cause he could of been a great player for us. The other option is just to delist him now.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

His attitude on and off the field has gone off the rails a fair bit in the last couple of seasons. Needs to make up for some undisciplined acts, and he can start by accepting whatever the club offers him. Otherwise, he can go drink some piss elsewhere. I do like the bloke though.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Could not care less, ill-discpline player who has not been anywhere near being on game for the past two seasons.

When he has a shocker he's twice as bad as a normal player having a shocker because he gets pissed off and starts cheap shoting and giving away stupid frees and 50s.

Hawks are welcome to him, at this stage I would be happy for a late 2nd round draft pick for him....his knees are shot, he'll be lucky to still playing when he's 30!!!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Some tough decisions need to be made and its realistic to assume that Solly will be offered around the trade table, whether he actually goes remains to be seen. Sometimes being offered turns the players careers around (just look at Fev and Whitnall's improvement this season).
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

ealesy wrote:Could not care less, ill-discpline player who has not been anywhere near being on game for the past two seasons.

When he has a shocker he's twice as bad as a normal player having a shocker because he gets pissed off and starts cheap shoting and giving away stupid frees and 50s.

Hawks are welcome to him, at this stage I would be happy for a late 2nd round draft pick for him....his knees are shot, he'll be lucky to still playing when he's 30!!!
Agree totally, he's gone in my book. His best days were before his knee went unfortunately.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Honestly, would Roos have such "team work" in his outfit. ??.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Hawthorn can have him. Solly's gone. Too small to play KP, and too slow to play on a small forward. Throw in his poor discipline on the field (an off-field too, apparently) and appalling disposal for an AFL player, and it's easy to see why his value is so low.

Sad to see it, 'cos I've always loved watching Solly and MJ getting stuck in to the opposition, but he's probably been more of a hindrance than an asset the last two years.
R.I.P. Seattle SuperSonics 1967/68 - 2007/08
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I think the writing is on the wall for Solomon.

During our dire straits this year nothing has been able to lift his form.

I think the Solomon/Essendon relationship has hit a plateau.

I think offering the one year deal is a correct one.

If he thinks he can do better and another club can provide that then fine, the time is right to get something pretty good in return. Win/win in my book.

Another shit year, he's worth poo.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I would take a a draft pick between 25-35 and throw in Reynolds as a sweetner (sweet and sour really!)
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Would not be too fazed if we lost him. As ealesy said, he is too ill disciplined. He does play the role of intimidator, but everyone needs to toughen up, maybe CJ could lead us there. :D
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

azza78 wrote:Hawthorn can have him. Solly's gone. Too small to play KP, and too slow to play on a small forward. Throw in his poor discipline on the field (an off-field too, apparently) and appalling disposal for an AFL player, and it's easy to see why his value is so low.

Sad to see it, 'cos I've always loved watching Solly and MJ getting stuck in to the opposition, but he's probably been more of a hindrance than an asset the last two years.
Of all the posts where people suggest we trade him, this one most closely reflects my sentiments on him as well. He used to be great to watch 3 or 4 years ago, now i hold my breath every time he's near the ball.

I'm with Windy_Hill & Ealesy in saying i'd accept a pick between 25-35 for him.

Any sympathy he garners from some people for his knees possibly being shot is almost completely mitigated in my mind by his on-field and off-field discipline issues; they have nothing to do with anything other than him being an idiot.

We don't need him as an 'enforcer' either. We only need to worry about that a few years down the track when we're hopefully challenging for a flag. To win a flag, you need a few enforcers in the team, but as i said considering we won't be in the running for a flag for at least a few years, there's not much advantage in having someone in the team as a hard nut when the sum of their contribution is as low as Solomon's.