Movers and Shakers

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Movers and Shakers

Post by hillchaser »

If I had to go out on a limb and predict a couple of big improvers for 2008 I would say:

1. Bacha
2. Hislop

By the same token if I had to name a couple that might disapoint in next season it would be

1. Dyson
2. Lovett

(Hope I'm wrong with these last two)

Would love to know what others think prior to the start of preseason
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

the big improver will be Gus.. i can just smell a massive year from him
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I hope that Hille pulls his head out of his bum and gets moving...his last few seasons have at best been below par...

Also, I think that McPhee is due for a good year...if not, he may become trade bait...
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Interesting thread. If i had to pick two of each, i'd go:

Improvers:
1. Hocking: A bit older than the draftees and has the physical ability to play in the firsts. Sounds like a fastidious worker on the track, and in the few times i saw him play for Bendigo last year he looked pretty good. Might be struggling for legspeed at AFL level, but i think he could be a regular in our seniors next year, where he will 'replace' guys like JJ, Heff and Peverill (but Hocking has a better kick on him than either of Pev or JJ).
2. Dempsey: Shitty run with injury thus far, but in his limited game time, he looked pretty good to me. Will get game time under Knights if he's fit, and will hopefully make an impression.

Disappointments:
1. Lovett: Now or never. There's a tendency for people to think he's young because he only popped up in the AFL in 2005, but he's now 25 and should be playing close to his best footy. I have a feeling he'll either take the bit between the teeth and become a consistent, high quality player, or vanish very quickly. We'll find out this year.
2. Ramanauskas: Remarkable and inspirational that, after what he's been through, he's still has the desire to play AFL. It'd be phenomenal if he could get back to the way he was prior to his first bout of cancer in 2003. But i think he'll struggle. His mind may be willing, but his body won't be after courses of both radiotherapy and chemotherapy - two competitive sports people i know have also had similar cancer treatments, and they tell me that although they got back to ~95% fitness, that last 5% is almost impossible to get back. I think Rama will battle to hold down a spot in our first 22 (but, of course, here's one where i'd love to be proven wrong).
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Improvers

Lloyd - Looked to be coming good in the second half of the year this season after struggling to find form following a terrible, career threatening injury. For some reason, he does not receive the respect or acclaim that a player of his proven talent is due. I expect a 100 goal season from the Champ in 2008

Stanton - Will be inspired by the Number 5 legacy to move into the ranks of the AFL's leading mid-fielders - a new Robert Harvey in the making.

The Kids - Anyone under 21 will make big improvements under the new, fresh coaching regime

Disappointments

Hille - Too many excuses for too long. I think he will again demonstrate that he does not have the technique or know how to be a first class ruckmen. Handy at best

Watson - I fear that despite his ball getting talents, the speed of the game and the need for highly skilled disposal by foot may see younger, faster midfielders take his place. The likes of Monfries, Hislop, Houli etc will all be threatening to take his spot