Voss' Comments re where we will finish this season

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Voss' Comments re where we will finish this season

Post by swoodley »

I'll start this by saying that I realise that it's very early days and realistically we have proven little if anything tonight.

Now, having said that, I was interested to hear Voss comment that he thinks we will finish just outside the eight this year.

He is about the first commentator that I have heard who doesn't think we will either win the spoon or go very close to it.

Was he saying that because of his pre match comment that the Lions are certainties to make the eight (and was just trying to cover that statement) or does he genuinely believe after watching us tonight, and seeing the style we will be playing, that we will be able to cause some trouble for a number of other clubs this year?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Yeah, I dunno. No-one should predict anything until around R8 of the season proper. This competition is used by clubs to try the untried, save the experienced "marquee" players, and perhaps experiment a little. That's why clubs like Carlton who have won 3 wooden spoons in 5 years can win 2 NAB Cups in that same period.

But I think you're right. Voss made that "certainties" statement about Brisbane, and when Quarterbrain ribbed him about it later, he made the comment about us finishing just outside the 8.
Essendunny
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

I think Brissie have got sweet f*** all depth (maybe cause the QAFL is like a bush league). Rossi, you might have to rethink them as a flag threat for this year.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Hard to know whether it was just a response to the "Brissy will definitely make the eight" thing.

Was it just me, or did anyone else think the commentary was a bit bizarre? They seemed to spend most of the night either ribbing each other about use of cliches or rabbiting on about irrelevant stuff like Malcolm Blight playing golf. At one point, they appeared to lose the plot altogether and there was prolonged silence. Maybe they had a few too many sherberts before the game?
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Yep the commentators certainly seemed to be treating the game as an unimportant pre-season game that did not warrant or deserve their full attention.

I mean they rabbited on for a couple of minutes over some comment Quarters made about Sherman being a shadow of the player he was a couple of seasons ago, and how Michael Voss hates that term!! WTF you muppets, just call the f****** game!!

In terms of Brisbane making the 8 it rest entirely on one players shoulders- Johnathon Brown. If he goes down injured they have no hope, there backline is weak, I really don't rate Merret and Roe as key defenders and just because the look like Leppitsch and Michael does not mean they are. Bradshaw is the wrong side of 30 and is coming back from a knee reco so I don't expect him to have too much of an impact.

They've got a great midfield but even then the likes of Lappin, Power and Black don't get forward and kick too many goals for them.

So all in all for them to win enough games to make the 8 they need a big season from J.Brown.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

CameronClayton wrote:I think Brissie have got sweet f*** all depth (maybe cause the QAFL is like a bush league). Rossi, you might have to rethink them as a flag threat for this year.
Not yet. Any team with Brown and Bradhsaw in it are very very dangerous.

They do struggle for depth, but they have some top players to come back in.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Ask ourselves how BROWN and BRADSHAW did last year and how Brisbane did at the same time.

Would that be some guide?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

billyduckworth wrote:Was it just me, or did anyone else think the commentary was a bit bizarre? They seemed to spend most of the night either ribbing each other about use of cliches or rabbiting on about irrelevant stuff like Malcolm Blight playing golf. At one point, they appeared to lose the plot altogether and there was prolonged silence. Maybe they had a few too many sherberts before the game?
They were a whole lot easier to listen to than that prick Walls commentating the scum game :evil:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

grassy1 wrote:Ask ourselves how BROWN and BRADSHAW did last year and how Brisbane did at the same time.

Would that be some guide?
Bradshaw missed the year and Brown struggled with injury.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I cannot understand why no one is picking us to actually have a crack this year. What is the justification behind saying we'll be spooners? No Sheeds and no Hird?

I agree that the commentators were crap last night, then again I can't stand Quarterbrain so I might be biased.

Would love to know the private joke that prevented them from being able to commentate for that short period of time.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Megan wrote:I cannot understand why no one is picking us to actually have a crack this year. What is the justification behind saying we'll be spooners? No Sheeds and no Hird?
Also have a lot of untried kids. Last year, Hird and Fletch won us 4-5 matches, we won 10 for the year and simply looked awful for parts of teh season. Also add that other teams below us last year will probably improve (according to some).
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We were very inconsistent last season. At times we showed that we could match it with the best and at other times we looked like the worst side in the competiton with loses to Carlton and Richmond.

When we can start performing on a more consistent basis then maybe more commentators or "experts" will predict us to finish higher.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Vossy's prediction was a very "safe" 50/50 forecast which really left him sitting on the fence. 9th is just beyond half way although I would hate to steal Richmond's claim on 9th position. They would probably take it with both hands after their pathetic efforts this weekend.

3 wins, then 10 wins shows a trend which should only be enhanced by a list that really gets your focus, but hang on, IOTNC.!!!

What thrilled me in an overall sense was something I witnessed at a couple of practices and the game at Cranbourne and that was Pace, Pace and more Pace. Throw in Lovett and Davey and the oppostion will not see which way we went.

The Bullies will be a real test as they play a similar style of game which we have not been able to shut down. With the speedsters at our disposal, I cannot wait to see if we can upset their game by running the bastards down in the backline as we did wih Brissie.

But back to Vossy. It was a measured comment from someone I really respect but let's wait for the real thing to start before making predictions.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I think Voss said as long as we dot have too any injuries and our spine stay together we could go close to the 8 which pretty much is the same for every other team...

WTF was with Wes from big brother making special comments?? Stupidity!!