Felt so sorry for

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Didn't think his game was as bad as Pev's. A couple of Pev's turnovers made me furious!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Dont worry about JJ. It may take him a little while to adapt to the game plan after 10 years but he still has plenty to offer. I will bet all comers $100 that he finishes in the top 10 in our B&F this year.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The difference between his good games and his bad games has really blown out over the last 3 years - he just doesn't have anywhere near the consistency he used to have.

His good games like last week (didn't see it, but was named amongst our best by quite a few people) still place him as a member of our best 22 and offer the team value. But his bad games like last night are very painful to watch and hurt the team badly. JJ is a ball magnet so you know he's going to be in the play frequently, and if he's creating a clanger every 3rd or 4th time he goes near the ball, that's a lot of clangers - this is not dissimilar to Watson's predicament early last year.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

If we fill thye team with quick players like we did last night, then JJ is more than useful coming off the bench and into the middle. Good hard strong body. Other than that, he will struggle a bit.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I agree that JJ did look a lil slow this week but his game against Brissy last week was pretty good so we will have to wait and see. Yes Pev made some awful errors last night but how many times would he have played at Full Back in his career?? Not many im guessing. Johnno only kicked 2 goals for the match so Pev, Gussy and Pears must have done something right.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Rossoneri wrote:If we fill thye team with quick players like we did last night, then JJ is more than useful coming off the bench and into the middle. Good hard strong body. Other than that, he will struggle a bit.
Agree. I think when when the real season starts his game will pick up. All teams are resting a large number of seasoned players, and we can't rely on the younger guys to continually compete with them. Need the big bodies and experience at times.

Unless we have injury troubles however, hard to see how we can play both Pev and JJ each week. Speed and foot skills can be a worry.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

I think Johnson is merely going to be there to get the ball out at stoppages, and give it off to the quicker blokes.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

JJ really looked like the game has gone past him. Very sad!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Funny, the paper reports were saying he looked a step quicker than usual and his stats look ok for a pre-season

Not being a bit harsh Filth?

JJ will come into his own when its cold and wet at the MCG in July and things arent looking so rosy on the scoreboard. Hard Bodies will be needed t some stage
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Still want JJ and Pev in the trenches when the going gets tough (ie Hawthorn and Geelong esp.) and later in the season when the youngsters start running out of gas.

Both made clangers but I thought JJ linked up reasonably well. Johnson got 5 last time we played as opposed to 2 on Friday night. Pev back as a stopper is a good move

The kids are quick but they lack the hardened bodies of the two vets. plus, there is no substitute for experience. Knighter's challenge is to get the right mix of youth and exuberance coupled with rat cunning and know how.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Pev didn't do to badly. Johnson kicked 2 but only 1 was on Pev which was not due to his fault.

Could JJ play in a different positon, maybe across half forward or in a pocket?
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

robrulz5 wrote:Pev didn't do to badly. Johnson kicked 2 but only 1 was on Pev which was not due to his fault.

Could JJ play in a different positon, maybe across half forward or in a pocket?
Agree. I think he's still a very good contested mark for his size - and knows how to read the ball of a pack - fwd pocket could suit him. Having said that he'd want to be at peak fitness to be giving himself a chance of getting a game ahead of the young'ns.