Online coverage of AFL continues to get worse

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Online coverage of AFL continues to get worse

Post by Gyoza »

Trying to catch some of the pre-game stuff today before I have to go to work.
The live stream off the Triple M page is music only, because they can't stream AFL content.
The AFL page doesn't have the Gameday Live page up for today yet, so you can't stream radio.
Absolute bloody farce.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Online coverage of AFL continues to get worse

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The rest of Australia concurs - Telstra is a gigantic pile of shit:

duke
Top Up Player

Post by duke »

I know one of the developers working on afl.com.au for Telstra. Will let her know about this issue.

But I can't do anything about Telstra's share price. :)
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

duke wrote:I know one of the developers working on afl.com.au for Telstra. Will let her know about this issue.
Tell your friend the following:
- The afl.com.au page is too content rich and too complicated.
- Due to the fact that it is so content rich, it loads too slowly.
- The afl.com.au site is not updated regularly enough.
- If Telstra and the AFL insist on monopolising the online media content pertaining to AFL, it's in their interest to actually make the service they offer a good one, rather than the terribly sporadic, homogenised and mediocre service they presently offer. Shit monopolies have the effect of enraging people and creating a hatred toward the company concerned - Telstra is a wonderful example of this phenomenon.
duke
Top Up Player

Post by duke »

I've passed on your comments to my friend about afl.com.au Jimmy. Usually with software development the idea is to first "make it work", then "make it work fast". I'm not sure whether they have started on making it fast as yet. Will update when I hear from her.

One thing you can do to make the web go faster is upgrade to Firefox 3 Beta 4, and install flashblock. It makes afl.com.au a fair bit faster than with Firefox 2, and you don't have to load the flash parts of the site if you dont want to. Don't be afraid of the "beta" tag, its an impressive upgrade from Firefox 2.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

BomberinJapan wrote:Trying to catch some of the pre-game stuff today before I have to go to work.
The live stream off the Triple M page is music only, because they can't stream AFL content.
The AFL page doesn't have the Gameday Live page up for today yet, so you can't stream radio.
Absolute bloody farce.
Found something on Bigfooty that you might find useful.
For those of you who are having trouble streaming the audio due to the slowness of the AFL website here is a list of the websites so all you need to do is copy the link and then put it into Windows Media player

If you have any troubles let me know.

AFL Live 11 3aw streaming:
rtsp://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live11

AFL Live 3 6pr streaming:
rtsp://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live3

AFL Live 9 ABC streaming:
rtsp://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live9

AFL Live 5 MMM Melbourne streaming:
rtsp://wm9.streaming.telstra.com:554/UCS-wh_afl0live5

AFL Live 10 SEN streaming:
rtsp://61.9.191.55/wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live10

I think the only ones missing are fiveaa and MMM Adelaide, when they come up i'll post them in this thread too. I think they may stay the same for the rest of the season in regards to radio stations because it seems the the AFL website will be streaming everyone not just 3 or 4 games this year.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

duke wrote:I've passed on your comments to my friend about afl.com.au Jimmy. Usually with software development the idea is to first "make it work", then "make it work fast". I'm not sure whether they have started on making it fast as yet. Will update when I hear from her.
Still haven't got the first part right yet.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

duke wrote:I've passed on your comments to my friend about afl.com.au Jimmy. Usually with software development the idea is to first "make it work", then "make it work fast". I'm not sure whether they have started on making it fast as yet. Will update when I hear from her.

One thing you can do to make the web go faster is upgrade to Firefox 3 Beta 4, and install flashblock. It makes afl.com.au a fair bit faster than with Firefox 2, and you don't have to load the flash parts of the site if you dont want to. Don't be afraid of the "beta" tag, its an impressive upgrade from Firefox 2.
Well, thanks for passing on my comments Duke. But my experience is that Telstra are extremely unresponsive to feedback. I know this because in a previous job (being one of those annoying bastards who calls you up at dinner time to do a survey), i did hundreds upon hundreds of surveys with Telstra customers and most of the respondents aged under about 40 had a negative view of Telstra and their customer service. Generally the older part of the population who have simple telecommunication needs and don't know any better love Telstra (the old grannies who are just happy to have a working landline), but most of the younger generation found Telstra heavily priced, slow to adapt, slow to respond to complaints and many of their products (particularly the Sensis stuff) either overpriced or cumbersome.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Your mate isn't Sandra Davey is it?

She was hanging around Bigfooty taking advice and critism from the unwashed masses last year.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

dom_105 wrote:
Found something on Bigfooty that you might find useful.
Thanks dom :D

Duke - Thanks for trying to be constructive and pass on the feedback. I just wish the problems with that site weren't so big that I don't know where to start. Plus enough people have already repeatedly emailed them that they're well and truly aware of the fact they're selling international video subscriptions to people their service will not function for.
But seriously thanks for trying anyway.